Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > btb butterfly to btb weave transition

Login/Join to Participate

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Okay, it's not hard to go from a regular butterfly to a fwd weave, so I reasoned it should be possible to go from a btb butterfly to a btb fwd weave.It is.Start doing a standard inward butterfly. Bring it behind your back. To make the transition, I find it is easier if I flare out my right hand a little, and turn to the right a little. I'm a leftie, so you righties might want to transpose that.It's still kind of ugly--I need to work on it (for that matter, my btb butterfly is kind of ugly)--but it is fun. I love getting new moves.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I am not even there yet... I just got the btb fly and the btb weave... am not going to think about transitions yet though. I need help on regular forward butterfly transition to weave though... I tried to figure it out, but I cant seem to grasp it. I can, but it looks really erratic and doesnt feel right... Any pointers? Will remember this one for when I try the btb transition though.------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Adam...can you help me?? thid will be a tad long...I cannot combo into a weave from a butterfly without going into a split-time BF first then into the weave.Also bringing a butterfly up and dropping it into a corkscrew is alluding me aswell..Why are the simplethings giving such hardships??check this out...this sort of ties in with the btb stuff..ive got the btb butterfly down pretty goo. I have been trying btb weave for over a month and i still am not catching it. BUT i was practicing a reverse weave the other day.I was spinning sametime in reverse at my sides, then i figure8 behind me, but by throwing them over my head. So i had the vision of doing a behind the head reverse weave..I pulled it off for about 3 seconds before i totally smacked myself in the mouth (at which time i put them down). I will try this again later. I beleive it will comeoff impressively (when i get it)With my hands behind my head doing a reverse weave, is that the same position my hands would be in doing a forward weave behind my back??Bare with me, i just had a vision...and i am running with it..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Right On Adam! grin I see it!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Shibaki--maybe this'll help. This is how I do it.Do a regular inward butterfly. At 12:00, let your left hand slow down a bit. As the wicks approach 3:00/9:00, drop your right hand towards your hip and curl your wrist so that your palm is facing back, down, and out. Follow with your left hand. This should naturally flow into a weave motion. Like so many poi moves, the less effort you put into it, the better. If you find you are flailing about, you're doing something wrong.Supes--Hopefully the above will help. I don't see how to go from a butterfly to a corkscrew without swapping directions for one hand first. Off the top of my head, I can only see going Butterfly>Wave>Windmill>Corkscrew. That's 3 transitions--you could probably get though them pretty quickly, but I don't see a one-step transition.I have figured out a weird hand motion to take me from a wave to a windmill where I drop my left hand, jerk it a certain way, et voila, a windmill (I've also figured out a windmill>wave hand-motion, but it's kind of hairy, accident-prone, and I don't think it looks good). Or you can do it the easy way and do a leg-beat.It's hard for me to get a feel for a behind-the-head weave, but I'd imagine that'd be the same general motions as a more conventional btb weave. But your hands would be upside-down, relatively speaking, so you'd have a completely different wrist motion.[This message has been edited by adamrice (edited 16 May 2001).]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
thanks adam...i see it now...but i was watching that incredible beaming poi video of Joe Derry in the video section...it looked like at one point he hada forwrd butterfly going then raised it above his headand then it dropped into a corkscrew...thats why i was asking...it is hard to see, because all you see it the trails, and not his hands...Damn i wish i could type-explain as well as you do...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I can do btb butterfly into a weave - its essentially the same movement as the in front butterfly transition to weave. You really only need a small curving of your leading hand over the other one. It *can* be as super smooth behind as it is in front. (umm... sometimes =) )I think when a change is erratic its great. Will they hit me won't they hit me type thing. They're always the times when you pull out some move you didn't know was possible.Jo Derry has inspired me a lot too =)

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King