Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I was just pondering...I havent pushed myself far enough to learn the 4/5 beat weave, and am currently making poi that are shorter so i can try the trip/quad corkscrew. I was thinking though, since in essence it is the same basic move as the weave, wouldnt a quadruple corkscrew be the same as a 4 beat weave, just on a different plane? so if i were to get the quad cork down, progressing to the weave would be much easier. Would this apply to a windmill also? Many thanks to all in advance!------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
I learned the 5-beat forward weave first, and then got the 5-beat corkscrew at the ECSP. The ironic part is I don't really know how to get the regular corkscrew...But anyway, yeah it is very similar doing it in corkscrew to doing it in weave. Is all about bending your wrists around each other and getting that extra turn in.It seems to me like the corkscrew might be easier. It seems like you don't have to twist your hands quite as much. Is a bit taxing on the muscles, but I think that is more from not being used to corkscrews in general.So, I'd go for the 5-beat corkscrew smile Not sure on windmill stuff...

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i was thinking the same thing...CS, the weave, And the Windmill, are all the same move more or less. Thats why you can combo in and out of them so easily.I have been trying to learn the 5 beat weave for about a month now. I did it once or twice but i cant keep it going. I can do a CS pretty well, so i figured i would try the 4 beat CS. Still nothing. I really dont understand how my wrists are suspose to twist..Ill get it, i know i will.But i did also think the same thing that you said about the windmill, can you doa 5 beat windmill?? that would be so cool!!!i love brainstorming!Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
The funny thing is that I'm not that great at windmill stuff. That is something I need to work on...I'm not so sure on how to describe the 5-beat corkscrew, but let me give it a shot for the weave...For the right side of the body, you want your hands curve so that your right hand goes over the top of your left wrist and curves downward and to the right. The left hand is under, and you want to try to get its fingers as far up and to the left as you can.I find it looks like my left hand is ready to shake hands, with the palm facing the right, and the fingers extended. Then the right hand is curved around it.Your wrists meet at the same place and lock together, your left hand wrist bending up, and the right hand wrist bending down.I think the main key is that in a regular weave, the first poi to cross back to the left after spinning on the right side, is brought over by the hand on top. The right hand is on top, makes an inverted U shape to bring that poi to the left, and then the left hand follows it.In the 5-beat though, it is the hand that is on the bottom that brings it across (the left hand). I think the tendancy is instead of going an extra beat, you go two extra beats, so that the same poi as usual will be the first to go back to the left side, but that won't work and will go tangled.So, from the start, the left hand goes to the right bringing over the first poi (it is on top). The right hand follows it, still under the left. Your hands make the regular weave circle and now your right hand is on top. Now what happens is your wrists come together, and the left hand arches up, and makes the inverted U to bring its poi over to the left of your body.So, the key is having the hand under bring its poi over. And is it goes to the left, both hands stay locked together. So as the left hand arches up and makes its inverted U, you bring both hands over.This happens really fast, and you turn out bringing both of your hands over faster than it seems like they should. But if the left hand poi makes another revolution on the right instead of getting over to the left, you will be sunk.Anyway... hope something in there helps... maybe try holding some sticks and try to pace it out really slowly. Good luck! smile

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
thats the best explination so far..i think i finally see it.Windmills are so much fun. I love vary them.Thanks-bunchesSuper'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Shawn, that is the best description I've read so far too. I got the same thing that sup's did, an insight that I think might lead me to doing this move...thanks in advance.josh

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
many thanks shawn! i just went out on my break and practiced a little and i got half the 5 beat!!! from the right side, cant get it on the left yet... but this is the first day of practice. im also discovering that it is so easy to transition from almost anything to the windmill------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Update:I got the five beat at lunch today.still very shakey...but I reckon in a couple of days I'll have it smooth. Thankyou again Shawn.Josh