Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > contra-rotating overlap buzzsaw

Login/Join to Participate

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
One of the local spinners has this style where everything he does looks really easy and fluid, but when you try to figure out *what* he's doing, you wind up just scratching your head. Last night I did manage to figure this one out.Get your chains doing circles in opposite directions. Hold your hands straight out in front (the buzzsaw). Now cross your wrists over each other, so your left chain is on your right side, and vice-versa.I've been looking for more contra-rotating moves, so this is perfect. I'm going to try to alternate it with the contra-rotating burn-the-nose (which looks really cool, by the way).

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Nice one smile)gotta try that...Josh

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I've fussed with the crossing and uncrossing with the contrasting spins a bit before. It does look pretty neat, but confusing to the brain wink I wonder if a weave would be manageable?As a note, if you have the poi going contrasting directions, you know how you can turn 90 degrees and be in butterfly? If you cross your arms and then turn, you can do a crossed arms butterfly which is pretty neat (easier but slower way I found to get into that is start with regular backward spins in alternating time, cross your arms, then angle both until they cross in front).

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Not sure how you'd do a weave when the chains are going opposite directions. I've been doing lateral butterfly crossovers, which move through the same planes as the weave, but that's different.I actually *start* my contra-rotating moves in a normal butterfly and then turn 90° some of the time.

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
hey there!If you do that side-to-side buttrfly thingy, but with the poi in "split-time", then you end up with a sorta weave, but contra-rotating......or something. It feels nice to do anyway smileTim /|\

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I love old school threads!Anyone able to do a weave with contrasting directions??Also is the buzzsaw perpendicular to your body(like a butterfly), or parallel like just regular spinning - trying to get an image of this

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
In the buzzsaw, your arms are straight out in front of you, and your chains are rotating in a vertical plane. Like doing side-circles, but out in front.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
are you just talking about a cross-over with the poi going in opposite directions?Or are you talking about burning the nose with the poi spinning in opposite directions?I'm not too familiar with this "contra-rotating" terms.Bendy - doing a weave with the poi spinning in opposite directions is technically possible. All you need to do is to start off with a one-handed butterfly in each hand (hence 4 chains). Basically what it is, is doing a forward and backwards weave at the same time. What i want to know is if you can 5 beat that move... not to mention doing that behind the back... hrm...Ok, im off to practice smile ------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Phunky--Yes, by contra-rotating, I meant "opposite directions," but the move I was describing was neither a crossover nor a burn-the-nose. It's similar to a burn-the-nose except you hold your wrists crossed, so you aren't really in a burn-the-nose position.

clairebearmember
52 posts
Location: jersey - Little rock, not quite there and almost h...

Posted:
um, 'scuse my ignorance, but what is (and how do you do) "burn the nose"?

Be Cautious of who you sniff, they could be an EnemyBig love and fluffy rainbow light in bundles. Bear xxx xxx xxx

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I'm with Claire on this one.WTF is 'burn the nose'? I have come close to burning my nose several times but I am sure it is not a move!------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
"Burn the nose" is a simple move. Extend your arms straight forward. Make a vertical circle inside your arms. You can do this forwards or backwards (or contra-rotating), in-time or split-time. You can even work some of these variations in with other moves, for example, you can drop a split-time BTN in the middle of a weave--someone here on HoP calls that "the tunnel", which I like. You can combine the contra-rotating BTN with a 90° turn into a butterfly.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Bendy

I love old school threads!

Anyone able to do a weave with contrasting directions??

biggrin

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Interesting timing to resurrect this old thread, Irinus taught me a proper antispin weave yesterday smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
this is even more basic, its butterfly weave.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti