Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I am so struggling. Looking at the video on the windmill I dont have any idea how it is possible. It looks like in so many places that the strings would cross over and tangle. I read the other threads, but I guess I am just really thick skulled. Does the rotation cross over from behind to in front of you? It seems like it would make sense, but I cant tell from the video. Very much appreciated everyone.~Shibaki

Wow

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the instructional animation on this site is a little hard to follow for the windmill.Here's a really technical description of what's going on with the windmill:The windmill motion is a lateral crossover, done over or near your head, with both hands going the same direction but 180° out of phase.So with each hand, you are alternating front/back. This has been discussed here recently. See:https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000101.html

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
https://www.geocities.com/firepoi/try
this site , there is a nice little figure animation in the learning poi section for the windmill------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
The windmill's one of my favorite moves. If it's giving you trouble, it may help you to think of it as a vertical corkscrew. Try doing a corkscrew, and when the poi are behind you try to swing them closer to the backs of your legs. This will cause you naturally to stand up, and you will have worked your way into a windmill. Hope that helps! smile

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
good call mr Scok...that how i learned it...The path of the corkscrew is easier to learn i think.I learned the cork screw tight wristed (wrists very close together) This make s the Poi chase each other pretty closely, then wile doing the corksrew i just gradually stood up straight..Also Shibaki..if you can do a standard weave and a reverse weave...you are so close doing a windmill, you just dont know it. All three of those moves (corkscrew, windmill, weaves) are essentially the same hand movements, just in different planes around your body.I taught my friend to do a windmill like this...Do a weave at a little less than medium speed. Now when your right hand gets ready to cross over to the left side of your body, take it over and behind your head, then have the left Poi follow and chase the other. From here it is all wrist. He tried it about 15 times and then he felt it once...and then he got it...Now its his favorite move.Thats what i love about POI, some one can explain just enough to where you can do about 1/3 of the move, and you can figure it out. Youll feel it, then run with it.Youll get it i promise...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Everybody, thanks a whole bunch!I got the windmill, I just busted out doing it out of a weave and almost whacked myself cause I was so surprised that I was doing it! ------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow