Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Whats your favorite butterfly variation/combo that you do??

Login/Join to Participate

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Any set that i do lives and dies by the butterfly..o i am dedicating this thread to the BFly and its variations and combos...i combo in and out of them so much, i dont think i ever just spin at my sides hardly anymore, uless i am changing directions..after i learned the butterfly well, it has become my favorite move to do. (well its right up there with a tight wristed corkscrew)My fav combo is reverse BFto behind head reverse BFthen i bring the left back in front while the right drops down behind me like a low mexican wave.then i bring the left poi behind me as well so that the come together doing a behind the back BF.After a few beats, i extend my arms out and bring them back out in front in a reverse BF.the beauty of this combo is that i takes about 6 seconds to complete. Done at medium to fast speed, it engulfs you, and people watching love it!next....Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
For me, my "default move" is the weave, but I try to mix it up. Let's see, butterfly moves.Do a plain butterfly. Skipping beats, bring the left hand, then the right, over the shoulder and back into the butterfly. This is still fairly slow and on-the-beat. Then break loose with a funky syncopated alternating butterfly combo.Do a plain butterfly. Rotate 90° so that you are doing side-circles with one chain going rvs and one fwd. Cross one behind your back for a behind-and-side butterfly. Then cross both over to the other side. Rotate another 90° to do a butterfly in the opposite direction, and break into whatever.Do a plain butterfly and stick one leg into it for a double-wrap to reverse directions. After two beats, do it again.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hey there Super,I like to start things off with swinging back and forth (like the Piriet Ship at fair) When the poi are comming back from behind me I cross my arms and go into a Giant Bakwards Butterfly. Big streach from above your head down to your hips, You can also put a little Rotation behind your back at your hip level. It Looks Like A Giant Butterfly, from the spectators point of view. From this you can do your Butterflys and go where ever after that. Happy Spining! smileSkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well - I love butterfly combos and I've been working on them alot - which mind you, doesnt mean I'm kick arse at em or anything, but here goes....front centre forward butterfly, reverse butterfly behind and to the left, centre, behind and to the right...all with one beat each...if you tighten it up, it begins to look like one continuous move..It should feel like the static 270 weave (cred: Adamrice).I also like;rvs buttefly in front, b/h head , 1/2 giant into b/h butt the back to buttefly in front. All single beat. Can also be done with a 1/2 turn in the 1/2 giant...can also be done in rvs. smileI like doing a buttefly to the side, and just swapping it continuously between sides, one beat each...makes a nice infinity symbol in front of you.Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 30 April 2001).]

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
I like going from the forward butterfly to a low weave, it involves a little wrap around one arm, but its really smooth lookin

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
I like going from the forward butterfly to a low weave, it involves a little wrap around one arm, but its really smooth lookin------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
quote:
rvs buttefly in front, b/h head , 1/2 giant into b/h butt the back to buttefly in front. All single beat. Can also be done with a 1/2 turn in the 1/2 giant...can also be done in rvs.
[Josh]!! i love it...so simple you dont think of it..awesome combos ...you too N8..keep um coming.i tried this last night...RevBF...low wave right Poi behind back and turn 90 degrees. and stop. now you have your left poi swinging in reverse at your side, and your right poi swinging forward at your other side.Now low turn and high turn twice and youll do rotate 360 degrees. do it all as one continuos motion..it feels scary because they are swinging everywnere in two directions. **warning**if you hesitate, youll get thumped. Happy swinging..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
N8: You can switch from a butterfly into a weave without any wraps. In fact, I'm having trouble seeing how you'd work a wrap into it (but everyone having a unique take on things is half the fun).The way I do it is with an in-time butterfly; when my right chain is at about 9:00 (that is, pointing to my left side), I just drop my right hand, follow with my left, and begin a circle on my right side. Nothin' to it.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

yabyumBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
One of my two favorite moves is to go from BF to low wave then to BF then to mexican Wave then back to BF and repeat. Each move gets one beat, and you can do right and left simultaneously, one beat off, mirrored (high & low), or just go plain nuts and do them as fast as possible. It really looks cool!The other one is hard to explain, so maybe I'll take a video of it or something.peace,Chris

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Are you talkin about the alternate butterfly combo listed in the lessons yabyum? It sounds kinda similar, and its a sweet move.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Josh:Holy cow you just described the two exact combos I've been thinking I invented and was about to describe here! Excellent!!It's a little disappointing to see that I'm not the only person in the world who thought of these but hey, I can't begrudge ya for it. smilelove, protie :P

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe - I cant take credit for the one with the 1/2 giant - that goes to Jo Derry smileI thunk up the 270 static turning butterfly one tho smileJosh

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
N8As Adam said why do you need to wrap from forward butterfly to a weave, sure you don't mean a butterfly into a low wave?At the weekend I was went from a simple forward butterfly to dropping to my knees and lying back doing a butterfly over my head and people said it looked 'dead sexy'.I did get grazed dirty knees though! Not so sexy.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

yabyumBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
yeah, Mr. Sock, it's the alternate butterfly combo. I like to vary it by keeping both hands going the same direction too. So it's kinda like chasing the sun, except in the abc patern.luv all peeps,chris aka. yabyum

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Sounds fun yabyum, i'm gonna have to give that a try...

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
I pulled this off last nighti start with a regular butterfly (vertical)and go into an above the head butterfly (horizontal)I get it going good, then swing the strings down low, just as i jump, they cross UNDER my feet, do ont rotation, and i swing them back up to continue above the head. I did 5 in a row last night, after a few tries. It really got the spectators at the rave goin WILD. I got so many pats on the back whistles and cheers.also, not related, but i started swinging with UNBROKEN glowsticks with a forward swing, then as the music was about to hit hard, i smacked them into the ground as hard as i could, breaking the high intensity glowsticks i bouthg, another crowd pleaser.

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
hee hee the last time i did that.(break the glowsticks on the ground) and i went into a weave...i was spinning glowing chemicals all over the place.. I cracked one on the floor..the e-tards loved it..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
lol sup' smileJosh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
My favourite with the butterfly, is start swinging at the sides, then move into the alternate butterfly and then into a regular butterfly. Bring that up over your head and go straight into the corkscrew. I like to then do the corkscrew while turning a full circle before going into the weave (forward and then reverse in a circle).

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
woohoo nearly finished my ttn combo. biggrin Just missing 2 varations frown I guess on everyplane that add's up to alot. censored

I wonder what ever happened to Superman? Firemike? Trinity? Woddy?

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
You unearthed a relic there.

My butterfly combos are seriously lacking so I stick to weave and giant variations. I know a couple people that do some mind blowing ones that I'll be hitting up for lessons later this month.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
last I saw superman was late november 2002 in my flat in houston just before I moved to south africa. no idea what happened to him after that, but I bet his wife had something to do with it.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!