FeniXTranzmember
17 posts

Posted:
okay i guess ive become a pretty good spinner in my opinion but i still cant do one of the "simplest" moves the butterfly. heres my problem i start with simaltaneous foward swings and move them closer apart now i want to have my butterfly alternating sides so it looks like they will hit each other but dont. i have my hands posistioned with one higher and farther then the other, but somehow they alsways end up smakcing together i can get it for a few seconds but then smack.? what am i doing wrong i read all the posts on this move but i cant get it help?.

FeniXTranzmember
17 posts

Posted:
i meant closer together not apart my mistake sorry lol

firecirclemember
6 posts

Posted:
The butterfly seems to be for some strange reason a hard move for some people to learn. I've seen a few other people with your same problem. I will tell you to just keep practicing and you will get it. Watch your hands and take note of how you are holding them while it is working, try to focus on that instead of worring about messing up and you will get it. Good luck

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
when i first learned the butterfly, i spent a lot of time practicing before it looked good and i could do it nonstop. the way i got into was actually by just getting used to bringing them closer and closer, real gradual like. and if i can remember correctly i got the alternate butterfly before i go the real butterfly. it just seemed easier and they didnt hit eachother so much, then it just clicked and i had the butterfly down pretty good.DRAKEkatafunk@hotmail.comwww.geocities.com/katafunk

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
I'd totally echo Drake's advice about working the butterfly in split timing before trying to go for equal time. It's a lot easier to learn in split time.Also, when you do start trying to bring your hands together in an equal-time butterfly, there's one third aspect you might want to pay attention to: aside from which hand is in front, and which hand is lower down, there's also the question of which string moves through the "danger zone" first. By the "danger zone", I mean that area where the strings want to intersect.While you want it to look like they're both crossing through there at the same time, in actuality, one of them has to be slightly in front of the other. I've found that, for me, the left one needs to go through there first -- if the right one comes first instead, it will trip me up. (It's probably some kind of handedness thing.) It may also have to do with the left hand being the one that I put further forward and lower down. Naturally, your mileage (and handedness) may vary.As someone who's actually really fond of the butterfly (about 2/3 of my repertoire is based on its many variations), it is definitely worth it to learn. If you start with the split-time version, you can slowly start bringing the timing (and your hands) together. Don't feel like a horrible klutz if it takes a little while; it took me a week or maybe even two to go from a decent split-time butterfly to even a half-assed equal-time one. It does take some practice, but it is worth it.Hope that helps!

tricky56member
23 posts

Posted:
well, all of the above is correct, I am one of those people that took a long time to learn the butterfly. I seemd to gravitate towards arial moves rather than the butterfly and butterfly combos. When I do the butterfly I leave my left hand slightly forward and underneath my right hand. If you spin with closed fists, have your arms fully extended, and pointed down at the ground at about a 45 degree angle so that your knuckles are lined up and perpindicular to the ground. good luck, hope I could help

Wrenmember
33 posts

Posted:
I've just started learning poi, and I, uh, suck. Nevertheless, I'm keeping a little journal of my failures and successes. I was having problems with the Butterfly, so what I did was this: I start spinning normally at the sides. I tried to feel the beat of the poi, and then I closed my eyes. Then, with my eyes closed, I brought my hands together in front of me. Worked like a charm. Of course, now I'm stuck on the Alternate Butterfly and won't be able to practice much because Winter's coming. Anyone have any advice for me?

-WrenAnd that, my friends, is condensed evil.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
FOR ME what did it was the fact that they're crossing paths at 3 and 9 o'clock but passing by eachother at noon and 6. A very exadurated way would be to have the right hand slightly above and in front and have the right poi in a plane coming towards your face and away from your feet. The left poi would be parallel to your body. Once you got this down you can cheat to have them more parallel. If you're working them in non-parallel planes and crossing off beat you should be able to do it forever without hitting.Hope this made SOME sense![We need a phrase to represent "I hope my poor written explanation of a very visual concept was understood"... perhaps "kindest regards"... no that's taken...]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]