Nicmember
18 posts

Posted:
I've found a nice combo using some stuff behind the back, start with a normal weave, then pull it up into one beat of a windmill, then as you bring it back down, do a 180 degree turn and hook the poi behind you into a backwards weave behind your back, while behind your back do one crossflow (from backwards weave to forwards weave, and back to backwards, all behind your back and without moving your feet) then hook the poi out from behind your back as you do another 180 degree turn straight into another windmill. You can loop the move to keep going.Now, my question, does anyone know any similar combinations of moves going into and out of behind the back?

Gooi nat, or don't gooi at all.*Nic*

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Damn! I see lots of bruises ahead, trying to replicate that combo. I just got the btb circular weave a few days ago. I don't think I can do a btb turning-weave without moving my feet.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

benmember
1 post

Posted:
i am a fire twirler from portland who r u

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
nice combo - one day I aspire to being able to replicate it smileJoshPS - Adam, congrats on the circular btb weave.

Nicmember
18 posts

Posted:
Ben, My name is Nic Young, I'm from Cape Town, South Africa, been swinging chains for about 7 and a half months now. There are two pics of me swinging on this site, they should be on the first pics page, that's where they were last. Found something new - the windmill in the last combination i spoke of can be replaced with a simple chasing the sun - bottom turn variation.

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
nic, i can get a couple rotations on the btb weave but then i get twisted and hit myself, any tips on how to keep it going? and whats the easiest way to get into it?------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Nicmember
18 posts

Posted:
Girl from Mars, the only thing i can think of advising you on is to try to learn the btb reverse weave first, for some reason it's easier, i think its because your wrists don't twist as awkwardly around each other, and try bending down while you are still learning, also try keeping your shoulders reasonably straight, i don't know if you have the same problem, but i always used to get my shoulders in the way. As for getting into it, i learnt by doing the reverse weave and then as you hit the beat on your left seperate your arms, put them behind your back and try to keep swinging asif nothing's changed, but now i find it easier to start with a weave, then as you hit the beat on your left, keep your right arm still and pull your left arm around your body as you do a 180 degree turn, and you'll be in the btb reverse weave. Hope i've been some help, Good Luck!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hey there Stranger,I can do some behind the back stuff but I cant seem to get a 5 beat weave behind the back :anger: I can do a forward behind the back weave smothly but I can't seem to get a 180 turn and reverse it. Can you help?SkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
What is this, bitching about not being able to do a 5-beat weave behind the back? I can't do one in front of my front!btb weave turns are tough. There are 4 possible turns (starting rvs or fwd, turning left or right), and it's taken me two weeks to get each of them (I have 3 down, 1 to go). I found the toughest part is figuring out where your hands need to be as you stop the turn, and forcing them to be there, which may not feel natural at first. You can sort of figure this out by analogy with in-front weaves. I'd concentrate on getting one down, and then moving on to another. You also need sufficient momentum, and you need to figure out where the rest of your body needs to get out of the way. After you hit yourself enough, you'll figure it out.One flourish I just figured out today on the fwd btb weave is separating my hands after completing the rotations on a side, letting them each do a rotation while separate, and then bringing them back together to continue the weave. I'd been doing this with the in-front weaves all along, only just tried it btb today.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
adamrice,I have got the fwd btb Weave but not the Bwd btb Weave and turn. I find that if you turn your body (not your feet) in the direction of the chains its easyer. So If they are behind you doing the fwd btb weave when they are on your right side, face your back to your right, then sway to the left, back facing the chains. You can see this in the vidio of btb weave leson. Check it out. Nic if you are still there, I would like alittle help on the backward btb weave and turn. I want the 5 beat btb weave Bad!! see my last post.SkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
skichristian, I've tried the 5 beat btb weave and have found it's possible backwards or circular (with a lot of pain though) but I can't really get it forwards. I gave up my pursuit though as I didn't think it would help my performance. This is because you have to jerk around to get it going and although it looks technical, it doesn't look too cool. To get it try exagerating the 'swaying' movement you'll of had to do at first with the standard btb weave. have fun.Jo.

spinmember
10 posts

Posted:
Jo I totally agree with you. I learned btb forward 5 beat but it was so iffy that doing it in a routine generallly made me lose momentum.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Well I can do the BtB fwd weave and turn in and out of it so I guess that will have to do for now. I will Try again some other time, my arms are ready to fall off and I have a spin fest to go to next weekend. Talk to you all Later.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Im with you Ski...i aspire as well...If i land a combo like that...<> there would be no living with me.I think i am about 4 months away from getting BTBweaves..i still cant the mechanics of it. Practice practice practice...By the way...sweet-ass comboSuper...------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Hey super, the btbweave is not that far away. if you can cross them behind your back while spinning backwards, try using one poi with the othe hand out behind you. go over it under it and accros. do this ontill you get it with one hand then do the other. picture your back as your front and i start my right arm first down under, over, across. its hard at first but once you get it it is just like the rest.Check out the lessons part of this website. they show it, (not so clear, but you will see the jist of it) Ski

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!