Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Combination of short string moves like to do that always gets a reaction..

Login/Join to Participate

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
1) When i do short strings (8" or so), i go into a corkscrew with my hands close together, so that they just spin over and under my arms, two beats on top then 2 beats bottom, them i do the "Burn the nose move" to the inside and then i flip my hands over and do the same move spinning away from me, then i can go back into the corkscrew. I am doing this motion. I do this pattern over and over while continuosly turning 90 degrees to the right after the second "burn the nose". Then after the corkscrew, i take it into a windmill, after aboutthree passes front and back, i lean back and do another "Burn the nose" straight up, then i do the same sequence as before minus the corkscrew and turning to my left continuosly with out pausing.. When i pull it off clean, it is just a barrage of circles..very cool, scouts honor.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Sounds Cool But I don't Know what "Burn The Nose" Is. Please discribe?I am working on my Corkscrew and I need mor moves.Peace,SkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
BTN..is when you spin the poi forward or backwards, palms facing toward your body, forming a wheel-like shage in front of you. I always imagined it looking like a ban-saw cutting into my chest. Its called burn the nose because when they are too long, the POI come very close to your face as they are spinning.i like todo this move in split time, but it takes alot of practice to keep the wheel shape flat, they usually tend to start looking more like an atom after about 5 beats.hope that helped.."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Super...you can also do up and over moves that come *really* close to your ears and/or face depending on arm positioning. It gets quite the reaction. Another awesome variation on BTN, doing it from the backbend is on the down swing drop your arms to your sides so the poi/sticks go near the ground, bring them back up and in....it'll get an oooo.Nice combo. Love the moving combo's with the "easier" moves. They always end up looking so graceful. Thanks for sharing.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Thanks Both of you!! ILove New Moves! smile

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if its the same 'up and over' moves that i do that your talking about Pele, but i occasionally (when i get the guts up =) do like a circular weave where it split up a lot, and both hands each take a turn in breaking out of the pattern and circling above my head varying from back to front with each hand and the flames go wooooooosh past right in front of my face and right behind my head.scary scary but it feels so nice.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Sounds almost like you are bringing them into a partial windmill over your head Splat..at least that is the image I am getting. Actually by up and over I kinda meant doing a figure 8 over your arms..like nose breaker but horizontal. You can move your arms around and it looks really cool but comes really close to the body.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Nose breaker! Nose burnner! I like my nose and these names scare me! (But I do like doing the moves smile )Pele Is the "Nose Breaker" the over the head mexican wave (horizontal)?

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!