Bearmember
8 posts

Posted:
Hey everybody, I just learned about this site and am really psyched about it. I wish I'd known it existed earlier... So I lent my poi to this random martial arts dude for a few minutes one day, and even though he had never tried it before, he promptly whipped off some incredible moves I'd never even thought of. In one of them, he spun them both forward, then *very quickly* took the right poi and whipped it around his neck,(without the fire touching him) then kindof ducked out of it. Hard to explain, but it looked incredible. Then he had to leave and I havn't been able to figure it out since. It is easy to do the same move around my leg, but every time I try this one it wraps PERMANENTLY around my neck. Anyone know how to do this? Pele?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've seen it done. Haven't tried it myself. I think the trick is allowing only enough to wrap around that it naturally unwraps before anything can get tangled. The way I've seen it done, the twirler did not duck out of it, she just let it unwrap.I have a hard time believing someone who had never tried poi before was whipping off fancy maneuvers like that...I guess anything's possible though.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I disagree Adam...a traditional weapon in many gung fu arts deal with chains that either have a blade, or a mace ball on the end of it, plus the chain can be up to 8 ft in length. That move is actuall pretty common in chain weapon routines. I have seen a guy spinning the chain parallel to him as he laied on the ground on his back. Then he did this amazing move. (remember the catepiller move from breakdancing? where you do a wave on the ground with your body, usually done on your stomach?) he di the same move but on his back to where his body would come off the ground about 2 inches, and he was passing the chain completely under him. And he did it several times...same principals, different medium.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yes and practicing it hurts...alot. Get a spotter for this one if you intend on teaching it to yourself...I am speaking from experience here. Also, don't get alot of mometum behind it and it won't wrap as tight..but then you have to get momentum back up to get it off gracefully (which I have yet to get at all) so it's a catch 22 move. Oh, and if you have hair below shoulders..like I do, short strings with this are a bad idea!!!! Good Luck!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CALumberjackmember
2 posts

Posted:
even cooler:start with the butterfly, stick your head into it, and try wrapping _both_ poi around your neck... I've seen people do it successfully in the past... I've been trying it today. As a result i've got a glowstick-sized welt across my cheekHas anyone been successful tyring to do this? Please post any advice you have here.

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
***neck wrap thing explained at bottom***this is a cool move but it isnt around the neck but what the hell right?spin in reverseextend the left leg out in front of youtake the right poi and hit the rope on the achilies tendent (just above heel)let it wrap on you leg and kick your leg out to the right and swing your leg out and back to the left to unwrap it without hitting your leg.when it swings around either hop over it when it comes around or if you are really good let it come up between your legs.try that one on for size!!!ps i also do the neck wrap,start by spinning forwards. it helps it you lower your head a bit. hit the string over your neck then follow the end around in a figure 8 patern with your head then in a flowing motion flick the end off and it should come off nicely without hitting you but now it is in reverse

onewheeledweirdomember
35 posts

Posted:
Here's one to try. Start by spinning the poi in a butterfly. Then chuck your head between the chains. As they spin around to wack you in the cheeks, turn your head and catch one of the flaming poi wicks in your mouth. (This extinguishes it.) In doing so, the other poi should roll off quite nicely. If pulled off successfully an amazing audience response is received. If not, call 911 or 000. (or whatever) This trick is a good ingredient for injury.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey OneWheel, Your poi wicks fit in your mouth?????? EIther you have a reeeeeeeeally big mouth or very small wicks.There is no way for me...though it might be cool if someone caught a glowstick like that...doggie and bone style you know????------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Double neck wrap with fire?sounds like a recipe for disaster I dont think I'll ever even attempt that one. At least...not until I shave off all my dreads, and thats not going to happen soon smileJosh

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
the average size wick is 5-6 inches...oh wait you guys are talking about POI wicks...whooops my bad.. grin [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">"S[/image]------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Oh yes you can! I can totally arm wrap,neck wrap and leg wrap, dude. It just needs long poi (1m) and practice!Axis (uk)

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Yeah, pretty much all yo-yo wraps are of this variety because having it impact on your body would kill off the spin.https://www.yo-yo.org/yama@18/videoDE.htmCheck out the seven tricks marked as "wrap." The "Osaru special Wrap trick" is a pretty crazy alternating double-neck wrap thing.

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
If anyone is still confused on the basic neck-wrap, let me give a shot at explaining. Probably the easiest thing to try is with one hand, having the poi going in a backward butterfly type motion (clockwise if using the right hand).As the poi circles coming down and starting to move left, you move your head down and forward so that the poi starts to wrap around it.Now, they key to get out of it is after it has wrapped and is moving upward and starting to go right, you want to bring your head back as far as you can, so that the momentum of the poi undoes the wrap.Most of these moves where the poi wraps around something sticking out in a direction, and that body part is moved to be pointing in the opposite direction, so that now it unwraps. You can also do the neck-wrap from a forward direction (if you turn as you undo, you can go from one neck wrap right into the other). Or with the poi going at your sides by moving your head left or right etc... hope that helps! smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
While neck wrapping with one poi, try to do a body wrap with the other...then switch. I understand it has a neat look to it.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele