SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
how do you do a butterfly with the Poi swinging in opposite directions????I have hit myself too many times.."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
just do the normal butterfly but spin the poi in split time

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
thats what ive been trying to do, but they always get tangled..there has to be something i am missing. So i should be swinging them opposite directions, and in split time??"S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown[This message has been edited by Superman (edited 05 April 2001).]

- Mark Twain

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
My hands are more beside each other than on top. Meaning, when in forward bfly my right hand is on top and my left is on bottom, in reverse bfly my left is on top my right is one bottom. Forwhat you're talking I bring them together but not layered and it helps. I make my fists touch so it's as tight a possible. Good luck and hope this helps. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hmm... when i do a forwards butterfly my right hand is on top but when i do a reverse butterfly my right hand is on top. I was playing around with circular thread the needle and found it didn't really matter which hand was on top. Have you ever gotten a move out that looks great and feels great but your hands have gone the opposite way from what you were trying to do? I was doing this btb move where instead of following the btb circular weave around I jump out of it and get an extra spin out somewhere. And my hands are going the wrong way (the one that is supposed to be on top is underneath) to the way I go in a circular btb weave....I do get more thunks with this one than any other (bar the circular thread the needle).

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I know what You mean Splat, Its like your arms and wrists have their own minds. They love to put that extra spinn into everything. but it's funny how i never seem to hit myself when this happens. As for the opposite butterfly! I can only tell you about the bruses:O I like the alternet opposite butterfly over the sholder. I guess it is close to the mexican wave, but you do two rotations in front of you, and one long one in back, over the sholder. You can also turn 180 and do almost the same thing but low and at the hip, not the sholder. Its my favorite but its hard to explain. one arm is comming up in front of your face, and the other is going down behind your hip/back. I LOVE OPPOSITES! smile

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
skichristian!!i just taught myself the exact movement this past week or so!! Its my new set of fav. moves.reverse butterfly in front, then behind the head. Have you tried this?? Reverse butterfly, right hand behind the head, then with the same hand, go down behind your hip, then back in fornt to join your left hand in the reverse butterfly.If you can do this with both hands, you can spit time this motion, or do them both at the same time. I have no idea what this lloks like cause i havent showed anyone i can do it yet...But i bet it s going to look too schweet. damn im excited!!"S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
You should be ! smile I love those moves It breaks up the show for me. I do alot of chacing the sun and weave stuff, and the opposits gives a little twist. I don't know if you know it but when you start going behind the back with one hand then the other you are in opposits wink If you turn 1/4 way around you will see. If you turn 1/2 from the move you where talking about you are in the mexican wave like area, and if you keep spinning (I spin right) it looks real cool! Just remember to watch you hand (in my case my right hand, turnning right) you get less dizzy.Keep it up Superman smile your getting good

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
thanks chritian...im going to try that out tonight.."S"

- Mark Twain

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Me too Splat. My right hand stays on top regardless of which direction the poi are moving.How did you get the circular thread the needle? I've only tried it once - experienced extreme pain as a result smileAny advice? smile

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hmm..circular thread the needle is the move I do when I'm nice and warmed up. I find it easier to get going if I've practised the circular butterfly a few times first. It feels like juggling almost, cept in a circle. I found it helped to split it up a bit. i.e. your hands are a bit lazy in exactly chasing eachother to the other move when you turn. And the turning then does it for you and you can figure out what each hand is doing (vaguely anyway!) It's all timing too - I can do it better when I've got a steady funky drum beat in the background! =)

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King