FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I have noticed that if I drop down on to my knees with a move; for instance, an over the head butterfly, the croud goes wild. You can also do a hand wrap, and move on to almost anything. My favorites are the weave and corkscrews on the knees. ( I saw a pic of stephen wilson, and myself on picture page 1) If you have a new move, or an old one on your knees, tell all here if you please. smile

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i have one where i drop to my knees, then i lay flat on my back. Spinning the poi(im using glowsticks) in reverse and alternating at my sides. Then still alternating, i bring them in front of me where they are crossing, then i take them above my head. From this point i can drop to my knees..then as i drop to my back, at the same time, i bring them over my chest, so they dont hit the ground behind me. Then i can sit up, (adjusting the paths acordingly) and then the hardest is getting back to my feet. Thankyou martial arts training for enabling my to stand up from indian style with out using my hands..Again this is one of those that are hard to explain in typed word.Also if you get a butterfly going fast enough, you can get it above your head like a helicopter and do the same thing.it does get alot of response, i dont know why, its really not that hard.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I do thread the needle down to my left knee, alternate high/low wave once there into knee spins (do a 180 turn on left knee to the left during high wave part, then finish it off by a right 180 during the low part), I go back to thread the needle and do that lowering myself onto my back, over my face butterfly back up to my knees, into a backward roll and onto my feet.You can also do the knee spin doing a butterfly to the side opposite of the way you are turning, to get it from one side to the other without hitting your bent knee, go over your head.I actually have an entire three minute floor routine worked out, though I still need to improve it.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 03 April 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
are you fucking serious!!!! that is cool! id love to see video of that.although i dont compete or do performances, i have been wanting to create a routine so that when i am in front of abunch of people (raves, parties, whatever) i can keep it consistant...it would look so much better.Props to you Pele!!------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks Super. I am a prop person through and through. I also am rehearsing a chair routine, though I need to change the choreography a bit. I may not be able to do alot of really complex moves but I love to push the limits of what can be done with what I can do...while I learn all those harder moves. I am a big presentation freak, you know?Anyway, Prom is buying a video camera so *hopefully* we'll be able to get in some of those videos everyone has been asking for by the end of next month.Best to you.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Wow You Guys! It All sounds fun. Pele you do a roll with the poi? now how do you do that? You are in a butterfly over your face and you flip over Backwards, can you explain in more detail? Superman I think we get a big responce b/c when you drop down on your knees, it's in such a worshiping, and highly dramatic stance that people love it! I like to spinn close to the ground b/c of the reflections i get off the snow. I once dropped down to my knees in shallow water and spunn as close to the water as i could with out touching the poi to the it. The croud loved it!Pele are you from Hawii? Did you know that Pele is the goddes of the Volcanos in Hawii. Pretty Firey! Tori Amos has a whole album about Boys for Pele. Ha! smile Talk to you all later!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
SkiChristian, hehehehe...no I am in New York State. Yup, I know that she's the goddess of Valcanos in Hawaii. It is partially where I get the name but mostly from my best friend who is from Martinique, where Mt.Pele is located (and starting to shake things up a bit). You can check out where we all get our names in a thread about it titled "where did u get that name..." (it's right now at the bottom of page three but subject to change).As for rolling, check out in the New Moves section in a thread called "Ground Rolling" where I attempted to fully describe how I roll forward, backward and log roll (that is going from side to to side) all while still spinning. If lucky we will be making a short video saturday to send in during which I will try to do a couple rolls.Oh, and I have that Tori cd, in fact I have all her cd's (Under The Pink is my fav, "God" is fun to spin to), have seen her in concert and met her in Syracuse. She's wonderful. smileTake care and happy day.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 04 April 2001).]

Pele

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Right On!I will Check out your chat room about Rolls. Tey sound so cool, and I would love to learn. As for Tori I also have all of her albums and a few singls. But my true favoite to spinn to is Ani. (I know Guys arn't suppose to like ani, but I can really groove to her stuff)Im going to check out the roll section now and might reply. winkThanks SkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Wow so last night I went to my first Rave and spun in the house! It had low cealings, but a hard wood floor. there was a few trusted friends with Fire extinguishers on the side lines, (Safty First). Because of the low cealings I had to hand wrap 1 1/2 to keep from hitting it. Lots of people on (E) and they loved it, but I need more of a floor show, I am working on ground rolls, but don't have much after the weave, the butterfly, and thread the needle, on my knees. help me out please smile

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Skichristian,Mexican waves, alternate waves, high/low turns on the knees, bend forward with nose to the ground and do a bit behind your back...so much you can do when you stand can be translated to knees. How long are your poi? It makes a world of difference. Mine, when I stretch out my arm come just past my elbow so it lends itself to versitility.I dunno...good luck.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
when ever i cross the poi at the same time (just juggling them) i usially go down onto one knee really fast and people love that

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Thanks Pele smileI have got to work more on my knees b/c the owner of the bar wants Steve and I back!! I can't believe he let us spin in his Bar! shocked Jeff That souns pretty cool as well. so you go down on a knee and turn on it, while crossing your poi? Maby that could be a starting move into a weave on my knees. Or just a Fake Knee drop smile ThanksMy poi chains are 14 inch dog choke chains with a 2 inch finger loop, and a poi i make out of towles. The poi can range from 4-8 inches but i mostly use a 4 inch poi. So whats that, a 19 or 20 inch poi and chain, i guess. I do a hand wrap, and some times, another half wrap to bring them in to low places. it also just looks good when spinning around i circles to bring them in and out (LOTS of PRACTICE, especily OPPOSITS). I like the longer chains b/c they seem more dramatic winkYou can always wrap them to do your corkscrews and stuff. I never got use to using shortys all of the time, I like the big swooping chains smile Talk to you later,SkiChristian [This message has been edited by skichristian (edited 12 April 2001).]

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!