Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 180 degree butterfly???? Help!!

Login/Join to Participate

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I was spinning a forward butterfly, then i threw them behind my head, but i did 180 degree turn at the same time. The butterfly was about to be going in reverse in front of my body, untill the strings hit my shoulders.I tried it several times. I kept feeling i was so close, but i think there is something i am missing...can some one help me??Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
it's easier to learn at first if you do it in split time(some call it the 9 and 3 butterfly). give it a go. make sure you can nail it both directions too. heph

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Sup Heph...I can envision the "9 & 3" butterfly working, but i have never tried do it in split time..How would i start that off?S'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
and how about starting a forward Butterfly on the right side of your body and then throwing them over your head from right to left to cross on the other left side of your body...is that possible??------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Superman--yes, you can cross over the head as you describe--in fact, I just stared playing with that move yesterday. It's really the same as an overhead butterfly, but one where you overreach and make an X with your forearms--call it the "overfly". You can do this in front of your body too. Try doing a high-front overfly, a high side-circle (which I think of as "idling"), and then a behind-the-head overfly. Looks cool.Caveat: lay in some ibuprofin before you fool with this. My shoulders are KILLING me today.You can also go from backwards side-circles into an overhead overfly and back down, and your poi will now be doing forward circles. Neat!

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
"AAAhhhhhhh i see" said the blindman....Cant wait to get home to try it.Ihear ya on the Advil...thats the whole reason i quit lastnight because of the consistant shoulder and neck smacking..PeaceS'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

OXTOBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
Hi!Ok look when you made the 180 degree turn the butterly still goes the same way but not your body.you must realise that your hand must work the other way around!If you can do a reverse butterfly with your right hand lower than the left ,try first doing a reverse butterfly with your lest lower than your right one!Or practice the thread neddle trick to understand the moves![when you make the 180 turn if your right is above ,in the reverse it wiil be still above]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Um... Hi and welcome.

The person who wrote that has not been on this site for years. Many years. I strongly doubt he'd ever read this thread again.

But if he did, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

The dates of posts are listed in the top. It's nice that you're seaching the archives but some of the stuff from 01 is a bit dated. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
i dont know if puting them over the back of your head and turning is possible, because then you would have crossed your arms on the turn, but i know its possible to go from your right and then take them over your head to your left

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Wow... strange to see threads with names of AMERICANS! People I recognize, too! Heph's spinning is amazing, and I know Adam Rice is on tribe.net...

Interesting to see how thinking about poi has changed over the years as well.