TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Hey, what are all the various types of wraps/direction changing techniques you guys/girls know of? I recently got my weave-->butterfly &butterfly-->weave transitions down pat, and working on the wrap where both go around the inside of your arms, reverse direction, repeat, and finally go back into the original directionof course doing this with non-lit poi of course wink------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Cuz I use fire a lot, I mainly stick to the really quick wraps, body and leg.thigh wraps are extremely reliable and quick (they also tend to impress wink)Josh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I extend my arms above my head and wrap my wrists in a bondage-y like way, then I drop my arms in front of me and unwrap.I also do body wrap where I turn out of it instead of swinging it off of me.I wrap my ankles, change directions and I jump over the poi (or at least try to, sometimes I land on it! wink).My favorite is to wrap my forearm and release the handle, I swing my arm in a really tight circle to give the unwrap momentum..the chain flies up and I catch it in th eopposite hand.Another variation of this is I swing the chain releasing it on the inside up swing and catch it around my forearm as it comes down, allowing it to wrap around. I hold the handle with my opposite hand (cause if you don't the handle will actually release before the wick), swing my arm tightly to unwrap and continue from there.I managed several of these for the first time today...using my 5 1/2 foot long poi, man was I excited! Oh, and I use fire. grin FOr the forearm things I am concidering bracers so I don't get so scratched...burns I don't get...scratches I get in spades! frownHappy Wrapping!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir..."I prefer not to go where there is a path but to blaze a new one!"

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
MY god Pele. smileI think you are doing what I think you are doing...and if so, simply awesome!Josh

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
ok...flame me for this....what is a wrap??..knowledge is power...and the power is POI.------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
A wrap is where you let the chain wrap around a body part (wrist, leg, waist, neck) and then uncoil. This looks cool and gets the chain going in the opposite direction.I don't do any wraps myself, but I do "beats," which is basically the same idea except that you just bounce the wick off a body part (in my case, my legs).Some moves require a shorter chain, so people wrap the chains around their hands once or twice.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
ok ....so i do know what is then...thanx.I ve used it and didnt know it had a name...Do people actually do wraps with FIRE????? insane...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Hey adamrice, what's this about leg beats and what not? I read your previous posts on them and they sound doable, but only with your foot [considering you wear some thick shoes]. Cuz if you do a beat off your arm, leg, or [god forbid, your head *oWcH*] that'd sting quite a bit. Iono how it is with fire poi, but glowstix sting a mofo and i can't imagine hitting them against my leg on purpose. Those tennis-ball practice poi also give quite a welt if traveling too fast [i thought i was getting the hang of everything this afternoon, and i tried some spontaneus "winging-it" and ended up with a poi straight under the nose]. And yea pele, i know what you mean about the scratchs/rope burn from wraps, that's why i try to wear long sleeve shirts or do really small wraps to avoid tangling and leaving marks on my arms.------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Taiguy and Superman..I tend to use only fire and I promise it isn't so bad. As long as you don't leave the wick resting on your flesh then there is usually only a bit of a soot mark behind and not even a sizzle. Taps are actually safer than wraps since they are literally bouncing off the skin but both are impressive to see. I do it on bare flesh and the only injuries I have actually sustaned from wraps came from the fact that I need a different not so jagged edged chain for my wrap chain, none have come from fire. As long as you spin off really well all is good and you might even get a bit of a trail going which looks cool too.Sounds to me like glowsticks are more dangerous than poi...after all they have plastic corners!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir..."I prefer not to go where there is a path but to blaze a new one!"

Pele

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
TaiGuy--I do leg beats, with fire, usually against my thigh (I can do it against my shins, but they present a smaller target, so that's harder). It's not a problem. Mind you, I'm not whacking it as hard as possible: I am doing the move purposefully (usually to make a transition from a windmill to a wave or vice-versa), and hit it only with appropriate force. A wick has more surface area than a glowstick, so it probably stings less. I've also started wearing leather pants, which gives me one less thing to worry about.Plus the chicks seem to dig it when they see a ball of fire bouncing near my crotch.Those of you who haven't used fire: I don't want to pressure you to try fire before you're ready--if you don't feel ready, you aren't ready. But it isnt' as scary as it seems. There is danger, but it's something you can manage and minimize. Momentary contact with a flaming wick generally isn't a problem.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
quote:
Those of you who haven't used fire: I don't want to pressure you to try fire before you're ready--if you don't feel ready, you aren't ready. But it isnt' as scary as it seems. There is danger, but it's something you can manage and minimize. Momentary contact with a flaming wick generally isn't a problem.
I am dying to try fire...i just dont want to die BECAUSE i tried fire. I still hit myself in the damn head too much to try an actual POI ball on fire. I think ill be mentally ready in about two more months or so. But thats why i am trying to find someone that lives near me that actually does fire so i can watch it for real and learn..

- Mark Twain

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
so where do you live anyway?cant help out if we dont know where...Pere

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I'm really new to this still, i just got into it because i saw a kid at a party doing it but, when i do wraps around the legs, when un twirling the string i'll kick, and it makes the glowstick move so much faster. plus it has less of a chance to give you rope burn because you're not pulling the rope your kicking it off.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
quote:
so where do you live anyway?cant help out if we dont know where...Pere
Coll of ya Pele..but i live in Houston, TX. I think i am a little far. i have talked to one guy from the board that lives here in Houston (Brian) He has a group that gets to gether. But so far i have been busy on the night that they group. but i am going to next time for sure. I cant wait!!------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

- Mark Twain

xesmember
5 posts

Posted:
anyone living in israel? smile

Rhiannamember
12 posts

Posted:
Can wraps be done with poi's with string, or is it a chain poi move?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Rhianna,wraps can be done with just about any of the toys with a bit of innovation, including staff. Poi with strings should be no different than poi with chains. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
i might sound stupid, but i still don't manage to get my wraps right... madi don't know what i'm doing wrong, but normally my problem is that i can't get out of the wrap without looking kinda lame, do you wrap all the length of the chain? i think that's allthxSaBBaS------------------Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda[This message has been edited by SaBBaS (edited 11 January 2002).]

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

Chakanmember
68 posts

Posted:
The wrap I love doing the most goes like thisTangles the poi so they create one big ball and spin on the left then the right a few times (Like a one poi figure of eight) then on the right side bring the poi down and infront of you and do a turn jump to the left when the poi are underneath you bring your right leg down and do a thigh wrap and then unwrapHeard this looks pretty good.ps found this by mistake when I jumped and didn`t get my right leg high enough. smile[This message has been edited by Chakan (edited 11 January 2002).]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
personally when i do wraps, i have my poi to a certain length. i have it so that when the chain wraps around my arm, it will go all the way around to the point where the wick touchs the point that is stuck on your arm. of course i do not put the chain on the arm for a wrap right on the handle, i hold it out a bit...the best one to start with is a leg and then an arm wrap...

anyone got a light?

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
to resurrect a thread
when u shorten the string chain whatever how on earth do u get it to unshorten it without looking stupid
i can shorten them on forward direction but when i try it backwards i loose grip and my pois wanna go for a stroll
Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Superman:
I am dying to try fire...i just dont want to die BECAUSE i tried fire.[/QB]
Hmmm, the only ways I can think of actually killing yourself with poi would be these:

1. Soaking your entire body in fuel, THEN using fire poi.

2. Hitting yourself with the poi in the temple so hard that it pierces your brain.

3. Spilling several gallons of fuel on the ground, then standing in it and using fire poi.

Other than that, you might end up with a few minor burns, some singed hair, etc, but killing yourself ? Seems kinda difficult if you ask me. Of course the audiences don't know that, and we hope they never will.

I don't mean to say that fire is entirely safe, for injuring yourself is still one of the easiest things to do with fire. Don't try it until you are ready. However, if you respect the fire, there is no reason you should go so far as to be killed or maimed. Use a safety person, have a wet towell and a fire extinguisher, and you are good to go.

Best of luck, and peace.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

nasumember
35 posts

Posted:
My fav set of wraps goes really fast and has a "pinball" effect when watching.

It is fairly simple..
Start out doing hand-cuffs, a bit like thread the needle cept you actully let them hit / wrap around your arms. it runs at about half-speed as thread the needle. Hold your arms at shoulder width with normal poi length, (length of your arm)

Then it goes into a persession of bumps and wraps that bounce from arm to leg to left arm behind the back wrap around the right arm and visa versa..

If you wrap via coming under your arm, stick out your leg and and get a quick leg wrap around your thigh then add stand on one leg, the leg you just wrapped, then with the other leg stick it out at your side and wrap around your foot, seems to please the crowd. You can also do this in the opposite direction of course.

I also like doing, lets say for the right side...
Stick right leg straight out left poi goes under wrap around your right arm.. At the same time left poi wraps around stuck out leg, proceed to the other side... it's silly I know, but fun..

A great way to get into the forward btb weave is to be swinging downward on your sides, wrap around the under side of your arms, then before they drop,

Don't just spin one while your going nuts with the other one. Pat your head and rub your belly, you only need one appendage to stand on, if your standing at all, I saw a piture of a kid doing leg-ankle wraps while spinning on his back.. and alot of times you can wrap on the same apendage just going the opposit direction.. Or if fluidty isn't your thing, go the same direction.

Yes do this with fire. Don't be scared of it, protect yourself. Leather arm guards work really well for me. Wool doesn't burn easly. The foot wraps wrap on the bottom of your shoe.

Bumps are slightly safer, I actually perfer a bump/half wrap sort of thing. Rarely does the poi actually ever wrap completely around my body parts. Not that I don't do it, depends on the speed of the song.

stay away from harry parts of your body, .0002 seconds and it's gone.

nasumember
35 posts

Posted:
not to be writting again, but I just learned this one...

When the poi are close to my feet and swinging in the right direction, hacky sack kicking them straight up, from the side of my foot, past my face and into where ever I feel like from there, helps to have them swinging towards the sky. Momentum dictates that you don't really even have to kick them that hard.. just square on the side of your foot. Fatty Swears with all that rubber on them are near perfect for this.

not really a wrap, more a bump, kick, really cool looking timed right, cause it goes from circular type things, to a straight line infront of your body.

yabyumBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
Man I love wraps!

That move Nasu was talking about, the handcuffs sounds like a thing I do. They aught to put some moves up on the lessons page.

Here's a tricky one for y'all:

The base move is a low-mexican wave, but for the front side swing, kick out your opposite leg, do a quick wrap or bounce. This sends it the oposite direction, and keep that one doing the low-mexican wave. Now when the other hand comes to the front, kick out the other opposite leg, wrap, reverse, and keep it doing the low mexican wave.
But don't stop there! When the first one comes around again, wrap-reverse, repeat....

At a normal speed, you end up kicking one after the other, and it's quite a workout.
Can anybody else do this?

Then if you can get that, do the same thing over your head.