Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > How the hell do you turn!?!?!?!?!?!

Login/Join to Participate

SsJ KaKaRoTtOmember
26 posts

Posted:
Alright! I just started and I can do a lot of stuff: weaves, corkscrews, butterflys, mexican waves, etc. But what really pulls my ear is: How the hell do you turn!?! www.juggling.com explains it okay, but it's still confusing! Can any of you help me out and explain it in a little more depth? Thanx!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey,when doing a weave, as you come across from right to left, and both poi are on the let side of your body, quickly turn your body 180 degrees counterclockwise. suddenly you will be doing a backwards weave from right to left! either do that or just pull the left poi across to get into a nice stable poi swinging backwards at the sides position. this is an easy way to do a turn. there are seriously shitloads of ways of doing this...but once you get this one, you can do a bunch of variations. Next step I guess is low / high turns...oh yeah - and remember as you turn to not move your hands. you are moving your body around the spin planes of the Poi.Seeya,Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 14 March 2001).]

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
is this how you learn how to do a back wards weave??i am going to try this tonight..i foresee many bruises in the morning...------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

SsJ KaKaRoTtOmember
26 posts

Posted:
hey josh, thanx, man!!!!!!

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
My favourite turn would have to be (not sure what the correct name is) the one each way turn.1. Start off by swinging your poi in different directions ie. one poi forwards, the other poi backwards - at hip level.2. If you're turning to the right, stand with your left foot in front of the right.3. You're going to pivot on your right foot. (ie. it stays in the same place) and step with your left.4. Turn 180 degrees (to the right) and step through with your left foot (so that it is again in front of your right foot). You should now be facing the opposite direction. Your poi should also be swinging in the opposite direction. ie. if your right poi was originally spinning backwards, it should now be spinning forwards (and vice versa for your left poi).5. To complete a 360 degree turn simply turn to the right again (and step through with your left foot). Your right poi should now be spinning backwards again. You should be in exactly the same position that you started in.I love this turn. You can keep going in the same direction or mix it up and go back the other way. You can do a couple of beats on either side or just do single beats. You can also turn with one poi swinging at hip level, one at shoulder level. You can really groove to the music with this one. smile

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
well try thinking about it in terms of reverse and forward weaves. Once you can do btoh comfortably, turning shouldn't be that big a problem. Say you want to go from a forward weave, to a reverse weave turning left. Start turning left on the first beat of the right poi on the left side. when you turn, you're in the reverse weave, and you should be in the 1st beat on the right side with your right poi [hmm... sounds complex, but not, and that would be the 2nd beat on the left side if you were still doing a forward weave]. And from there, you're done turning smile. Also try and remember that when you go from forward to reverse, you turn when the leading poi is heading down, and when going from reverse to forward, turn on it's way up smileHope that helps NE------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I got the 180 turn down last night....BUT....i could only keep the weave going for about two beats on my right side...i think i am trying to bring them to my left again too quickly after turning, but i did feel the movement..i have hopesof getting it in the next two days or so..I stopped last night after, three smacks to the head in a row..thats my limit.Thanks though, your discription got me about 70% closer to doing it, its all me from here...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah thats a nice one Finn!but - is the move you described the same as doing a high turn with one arm and a low turn with the other (such that they cross behind you - watch out long hair!)?cuz if not - try that one! you can get em going alternating so that they cross over behind your back all the time smile gotta get the timing right tho, cuz otherwise you can get a Nasty Tangle (tm) behind the back smileand of course, you can go circular with this one too smileJosh

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
just turn thats all there is to itsplit the time (if thats easier) and as you turn change the direction of the poi from forward to backward or vice versa

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I Love that one to Finn! smileI agree, You can really groove to the music with that one, and Josh's runs smooth with the opposits too. There is so much more you can do with opposits, but thats another chat room wink A good point to remember though, is to look at a HAND while spinning more than a 360. Do not look at the unfocused stuff spinning by, it will only make you Dizzy grinI love to turn! I like the weave turns, Im working on putting in the behind the back weave into a weave spinn. I want to be able to go into and out of it smothly enough to spinn a 1440 incompasing the behind the back weave. Talk to you guys later smile

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!