Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > anybody came up with these too?

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey all,Kinda new to this whole discussion group thing...I'm an Israeli poi swinger (there aren't many of us where I live), and I noticed that some combos I came up with aren't listed anywhere, so I decided to share them. I have no idea how they might look with fire, because at this moment, I only do practice swinging and glow-sticks.Combo 1: triple circles.this move requires a lot sideways motion of the upper torso.Set Up:start by doing the regular weave. START THE TURNING PROCESS and stay more-or-less facing the direction where your hands are not crossed over at all. basically, if you start turning left, STOP AFTER 90 DEG. so you are now facing the left side. this is referred to as the starting position, or center.TWIST your upper body left and do one backward weave on the left side. go back to center point and as the pois want to go on the other side, TWIST to the right and make one forward weave with on the right side. go back to center point, and so on and so forth.so, summing up:1. both pois in front of you, hands slightly apart = center point.2. backward weave on the left side.3. center point.4. forward weave on the right.5. center point.notes:- try to keep your body as much parallel as possible with center point.- watch out for the backward weave part, it can seriously bruise you at the back of the head. :-)someone try this out with fire and tell me what it looks like.combo 2: weave/fig. 8 variation:I noticed that the 2-handed figure of 8 and the weave can be integrated into one move.the hands do what they do while weaving, only difference being, they do it together. what it looks like is: both hands do the figure of 8 for 2 beats, and the weaving is done as usual. your hands will, if you are natural with the 3 beat weave, start crossing on the third beat. follow me so far?try this and tell me what you think.e-mail me @mr.woodruff@usa.netYohanan from Israel.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks...ganna try that tonite!Like the thought of the figure 8/weave as I envision it!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
I think i do this second one, which I always sort of thought of as a weave variation...do you mean that basically you have both hands parallel to each other so when doing the figure 8 the poi are both paralell? and as you do this parallel figure 8 your right and left hands have to switch being on top at the cross of the 8 to prevent a tangle? it seems i can only do this for a few beats before they either get tangled because i have them too close together and was sloppy or I end up naturally going back into the weave.hmm. now i have to go do it and see.Peregrine

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
Wow, neat moves.The first one is very common - it's called a 'lower fountain' - and comes from club-swinging technique.A 'full fountain' would be the same thing, but with height variation on each side. Tough to explain, but the idea is that you do two full cycles of the weave on both sides, one high up, one lower down at waist level, for a total of four full cycles of the weave. We do this standing in a line as part of our troupe poi choreography, and it's quite stunning to have six spinners in a row all in synch with the full fountain.Try the full one, it's fun!!!Haven't grasped what the hay you're talking about with the second move... will have to play with that one and figure it out.Happy swinging!~*Charly*~------------------www.cabiri.org

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I do the first one, and agree with Charley, the effect is enhanced with the climbing falling motion of the fountain.I also use the second one, but I use it to go into one handed weave / crossflow / windmill...and back again when my arm hurts too much! smileWhen the Poi are moving paralell and your hands are paralell, its easy to slip the handle of one onto the little finger of the other hand...then you can just accellerate into one handed weave / chase variations.I did these on fire last night, and they (apparently) look cool.Keep Spinning,Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
to Peregrine:your chains probably tangle due to the fact that as you do the fig. 8, you keep your HANDS parallel. The POIS should look as though they're parallel, as opposed to the "chase" effect given by the weave. What you should be doing, is the actual hand switching of the weave, e.g., on the right side right hand goes OVER the left for the cross, then goes UNDER the left on the LEFT side, then cross over to the RIGHT to complete the fig. 8, and so on and so forth. of course, these could be reversed.On another subject; I have started trying some behind the back moves today. HOW IN THE WORLD ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO THAT??? All I got from practicing today were black and blues in places I didn't even know I had...any help from anyone on that?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hehe...BTB stuff.apart from BTB butterfly, which is reasonably easy BTB weave is a bitch. Sorry. It will not 'just happen' you will need to put some hard hours in...the other thing is that everyone I've seen do it has done it differently.Josh

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
a word about the BTB weaves ... they were fairly simple for me to pick up i think because i had only started a week prior to that when I learnt the forwards and backwards weaves in front.it really helped to break it up .. just like with the weaves in front. get used to doing what your trying to do with each hand seperately. cause if you can't do it with one hand ... and keep checking that both your hands are doing the same thing each time. i found my hands had been wandering off on paths of their own once i got them behind my back at the beginning. even after a constant 10 minutes practice of the way you WANT the poi to go.. they would persistantly wander off. yes a few thunks in the head but nothing like others i've received from certain other horrendous moves =) i learnt the btb reverse weave first, then the btb forward one. i was about to say long arms helps but i think i might retract that cause it ain't hard at all. anyone can do it. you can if you believe you can..

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
i've never seen anyone else do it. (btb weaves) ... (bar "the guy" on this site) and Josh - how do you mean *everyone* does it differently? like varying degrees of leaning forward? i don't actually lean forward at all myself, hmm but when i was learning i found myself shuffling my feet forward (a bit like a penguin) to get out of the way of the poi (although this disappeared after a day or two).

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I mean everyone I have seen do it has a different body movement, and hand level...it all has to do with flexibility, strength and experience...Although, I've only seen 3 ppl do it, including myself in real life...and the other two I had to go interstate to see. You say its so easy splat...I've seen at least 30 fire poi'ers here in SA that can do every other move on the board except BTB weave...weird! I guess they never thought of it?I had a lot of trouble getting it, I'll admit it! and the fact that I've hardly seen anyone else do it also lends evidence to the fact that of the basic moves, its one of the harder ones...I'm wondering what the horrendous moves you are talking about that are so much harder? I'm looking for innovative technicques all the time...and yet I really dont see many on this board..perhaps you might share your hard moves with the rest of us?Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 14 March 2001).]

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
BTB weave in a week? Sheesh. It took me a month of constant flaggelation to get it. For about a week, I *thought* I was doing a BTB weave, but I wasn't--I was just doing BTB crossovers. Eventually I started counting rotations and realized "oh, got to bring it around again." What's funny is that I got the reverse first, and I'm still more comfortable doing the reverse. Go figure. I haven't seen that many people doing it around here, either.I actually just posted a pic to the HoP gallery that shows me doing a BTB weave-turn--I think (it's always fun to play "name that move" when you see a photo of firedancing).

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
i got the btb weave first in reverse too!!! =) i have to admit this site actually gave me the idea of learning btb stuff. my boyfriend is a fantastic multi-skilled-firestaff-stix-poi-juggler-unicycle-semi acrobat (i say semi cause he can do that rad one handed cartwheel with a stick but not hardcore like excellent ninja moves.) umm.. basically (healthy!) competitive edge made me wanna to be able to something he couldn't so i got *REALLY* determined to get it down. Josh, I really haven't had all that much experience.. and im not all that strong (compared to those ppl who do weights and stuff ive never done that). I don't warm up and I don't warm down to improve flexibility or anything. (something I really am going to change!) I agree that billions of awesome firetwirlers out there "just haven't tried it".why does the horrendous moves always have to be complex... thread the needle still gives me the shits and the routine thunks =) the one that bashed me for 20 minutes today until i got it ..is going from forward weave btb, to backward weave btb (that simple turn 180). that was my alltime complex move of the day (and still so very very simple =)small minds eh? wink