Forums > Social Chat > Definition of poi? Time to define

Login/Join to Participate

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Rather than forming an Angst: Revisited sequel, I thought it might be a good idea to know what we are really talking about. About the word... (OMG!) POI! winkAlright, first, I spin fire and I love it. Second, I spin glowsticks, and they are okay. Third, I dont spin staff. Fourth, please take no offense, anyone out there, for this post, but reading some of the posts and topics has got me to thinking that this issue hasnt been fully resolved. It is not natural to let a wound fester until it destroys the body (except maybe in human nature). Staff is listed and welcomed on the site however. At least, in the connotation of fire twirling. So, does that mean that glowstick staffs arent allowed? shockedThe definition of poi on this site is "Ball on string for swinging 2, 3 or 4 poi." When I describe what a 'poi' is to others who have no clue, I simply describe a tennis ball on a string about the lenght of my arm. So glowsticks arent balls, huh? BUT, it is the lawyers and professionals who form the defintions that we use in our vocab today. We are the professionals of poi on this site, down to the person that just picked up. Maybe we could have a poll sometime so we could form an exact definition? I personally describe tennis balls to other people. But I consider glowsticks poi as well. I consider anything that is attached to the end of a string that you whirl around in interesting patterns. So... I would consider a flag, on the end of string the length of my arm, a form of poi, yet it is definitely not a ball. It is just a hybrid creature of poi. eh?------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
i hear ya. just because its a little less popular an object doesnt meen it's not poi.for instance: not long ago i spun some slinkies (springs), in a club.i regarded myself as doing poi.after thinking about it i decided that i wasn't spinning poi. i was spinning slinkies.I was however doing poi. As if to do poi doesn't matter what your spinning: its , "the art of spinning, twirling and manipulating objects" grinhope i could help.C'an'U

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
im with CAINED-AND-UNABLEits the art of spinning. Balls, fire, glowsticks, chickens, whatever.. [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">"S"------------------[/image]"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
There are already some definitions out there. The narrow translation for poi from Maori is ball or sphere.More broadly (see https://www.learningmedia.co.nz/Lasso.acgi)
it seems that poi can mean many kinds of roundish object.Of course, you are talking more about the fine english-language tradition of bastardizing words from other places. In which case, I expect, poi as a new english word can mean anything at all. Lynley

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...and here I am trying to keep it simple....poi are the round ones that I set on fire or use to thwak myself with (experimenting with rythm ones)comets are the ones that look like comets, with the long tailsglowsticks are glowsticksstaff (staves) is/are the long sticks with counter weights on each end, sometimes to light on fireflags are big pieces of fabric swished through the air in patternsclubs are heavier than torches, torches are what I stick the firey end of in my mouthjump chain- a chain with wick woven through it.Swords are swordsyou get the idea so I won't go on.When I say I am practicing poi, I mean the ones with the balls on the end that I one day I intend to lightWhen I say I am swinging I could mean any of my tools.The movement is swinging and dance incorporated, very similar though not the same for all of them, but it produces the same effect...fire-light-fabric going around in circles.If I am playing I am playing, not practicing. If I am practicing then I am grilling myself on certain movements, making new ones and creating/drilling myself through routines, not just out there spinning to spin. I *personally* feel that is a definition people tend to mix up the most. I also think that my distinction comes from my looking at it from the professional-need-to-describe-to-clients perspective. grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So I just got the book on Poi available from Malcolm's store and in that it says the word poi means ball. That's it. Ball. Herm.I think I wanted it to say "Magical flying thingy that makes the weilder really special", I like that more! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
was reading through https://www.fyretr.com/and
there was mention of "the Poi, or Polynesian fire-chain,"mebbe thats where the word comes from.....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The book is The Rhythm and Life of Poi by Ngamoni Huata....it is about the history and styles of traditional Maori Poi. A good read to keep perspective of the cultural evolution of what we do, as well as definitions.As for Mephisto on fyretr. I have referrenced people to his site many times and I have the utmost respect for him but there are things he mentions that I personally feel he should not and things that he should've mentioned that he doesn't. Then again it is not actually Mephisto who does the site, it is a companion to him and I think sometimes he doesn't know how to explain things so I can not blame the man....however, for performance tips on fire eating/breathing and crowds, there is no one better than Mephisto. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

poiboimember
2 posts

Posted:
heres the definition i got off a place where you buy bladespinners.. Poi is a very old art form/discipline that originated in New Zealand and has since been adapted by other cultures and converted into many forms of ritual dance and artistic expression. Some of the most commonly known forms include Polynesian fire dancing, and rhythmic bolas (as seen in the Cirque Du Soleil). Poi can be performed with any type of music and for any kind of audience because there is a natural human fancination with fire and light and when put into motion, the fascination multiplies. Poi is also very easy to learn (yea right). It can be performed slowly and fluidly like Tai-Chi or fast and wild for amazing visual effects and a great workout. Many people are seen doing poi at raves with glowsticks. Adapted into the rave culture poi is popular in many cultures including ritual, raves, and ceremonies.

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I second that definition Malcom. unga bunga, eh?Groovy wink------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

clarkeymember
29 posts

Posted:
'The art of spinning/twirling a pair of objects, traditionally round in shape, around your body. The objects are mounted on pieces of string/rope/chain/wire etc, which are normally no longer than the users arms. One is held in either hand, but moves can also be exercised using a single hand. This art has its origins in Maori culture, but has been changed and adapted the world over. Today it is popular among people of all ages, and cultures.'Made up my own definition, based on my knowledge and trying to incorporate whats been said here, what do you reckon?? please add to it if you think i've missed anything.Twirl on!!!!!

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

Liquidmember
28 posts

Posted:
poi is poi, stop trying to lable it so much, you went oout you had fun it looked cool, you dont have to contemplate about it, no one is going to die. its like if i shoot a basket it bounces out and hits some ones head, who scored the point the guy who shot it or the guy with the head, the guy with the head would not have hit it in if the guy had not taken a shoot. just say its a basket , some thing else to, about the POI is a FAD thing, what did you expect. people like ita lot of people on here say " i hate every one is doing it now" but then they say " Ya i have only been doing it 7 month" they are the same people they complain about, but every one feels that they really like and that are not part of the fadpluris any one going to the area 51 moby oakenfold party?????

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
New Zealand Maori generally get the media credit for inventing swinging around round things on strings (or poi if you will), but is that really the case?I'm sure I've heard of some similar Japanese thing that actually gets lit?I've never heard of or seen traditional Maori poi on fire. (And consisting of dried flax, I believe, it wouldn't last very long if you did light up).Is this a generally Polynesian practice? After all, Maori settlement of New Zealand occured less than 1000 years ago.What does the Rhythm of Life book have to say on the breadth of poi?Lynley

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hey Malcolm, I like your definition and the idea to compare Poi to Music as a generic term. But then.... why have 3 different categories in the "meet others" page that say "poi", "glow sticks", and "fire"? According to your definition, isn't "poi" implied in the other two?I know i'm being a picky bitch.... Sorry. smileNomad

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i think its well accepted now that the history of Aotearoa goes back much further than 1000yrs, re see reports on carbon dating of kiore that arrived with humans over 2000yrs ago...the discussion is now focused on whether they were Maori. However notuced info at 'kiwi origins'sheds a bit of light for myself on indepth poi history, but no one claiming they inventrd it as such

Tsumimember
32 posts

Posted:
It's very interesting to hear about the origins of the word and the art, but as to what the word "poi" is supposed to encompass in terms of other toys I don't see the point. Are people afraid that their glowsticks, flags or other toys lack integrity if people aren't calling them "poi?" Is this post referring to someone saying "glowsticks don't count, you shouldn't be on this site?" If you only spin glowsticks there's nothing wrong with saying so. There's also nothing wrong with referring to all spinning toys as "poi," but keep in mind that your new all-encompassing definition of the word is just that - yours.In the directory there are some people looking for partners to practice specific things - i would think the different categories are there for them. so if you do more than one you can just check all of them, unless you have a weird case of carpal tunnel.The book sounds interesting, maybe I'll get it. I haven't really found any other sources on traditional poi yet.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ok - Katinca and I did a fire performance the other weekend, to a very receptive audience (they even cheered when I dropped!! smile) and some of the ppl there were NZ'ers. Afterwards they said they really liked it, and it reminded them of poi, cuz some of the movements were the same. IS long fire poi technicque really that different to traditional poi performance?these ppl seemed to think it was sufficently different that its not even the same thing.thoughts?Josh

Nezzamember
8 posts

Posted:
Being a NZer, & having seen Maori Poi-dances, I rekcon, (and bear in mind any NZers out there that this is just my opinion) that "our" Poi moves are definitely based on the Maori Poi dances. The poi that we do however, seems to be 'showier' and bigger, as the Maori Poi's are a lot smaller, and don't have the tails that the performance poi have. And Lynley is right, they don't - well not that I've heard of - light them. If they did, I'm guessing it would be super dangerous if in traditional costume!! In the Poi dances I've seen, the poi's are also hit with the hands to change their direction. The couple times I've had a go (at P.E at school), I found I was so much more unco-ordinated!!!

The very existance of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done. - George Carlin

Wormymember
22 posts

Posted:
Considering what poi were made of it would have been impossible to set them on fire, remember the maoris never had metal.I think it was some KKK member thought they looked pretty... but would look prettier burning!!Food for though...Poi in maori means Ball/Sphere (kinda... poi tepu means table tennis, so ball is not an exact translation. The word Poi can only be used for Balls or Spheres in specific circumstances, paoro is the most common word for ball). Poro also means ball.kanikani also means ball.te kanikani is NOT a 'Paoro' or a 'poro' or a 'Poi'.Paoro and Poi are not the same objects. 'ko te paoro iti i te moka o te toina' is the same as 'Poi'. Poi in Hawaii means Taro Paste (over simplified). Poi has no english meaning.Pois were not set on fire (hence why most of us refeer to the pois you set fire to as 'Fire Pois').Pois are an object not an action. You dont do poi. You do whatever it is you do (twirl, spin, dance) with a poi.I like malcolms explanation.. cept i would refeer to poi as being more like the radio the music plays on more than the music. What you do with the radio once you pick it up is up to you, just like when you pick up a poi.In conclusion...US MAORIS ARE COMPLICATED PEOPLE!! :Phttps://www.netcd.co.nz/netCD/Audio/9909c.ram[This message has been edited by Wormy (edited 09 October 2001).]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'm certain that a few ideas and movements from Maori poi began or helped to inspire poi as we know it today, merely because it would have another, more commonly accepted name, whereas poi seems to be more accepted (on average) worldwide than the other names.But a traditional Maori poi dance has much much shorter strings and tends to beat out different rhythms by continually batting them against the hands and arms and soenmtimes other parts of the body. The two disciplines are similar more in what the equipment looks like than in the execution.I see the two as very seperate now, although of course we can learn a lot about wraps and transitions from the traditional styles...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Wormymember
22 posts

Posted:
Poi where of all lenghs, it was not white boy brown who made the strings longer.Different poi where used differently, and used for different reasons. But my tipuna wahine says that as a young girl 80 years ago, she was swinging long poi and doing VERY similar moves.Im sorry but shes been doing poi 80+ years, gonna believe her anyday smile