flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Just had to tell you that I made some crosses the other night and woohoo!! I've never even used a single cross before, but i managed to pick up the doubles and get straight into it. I feel pretty special with 8 balls of fire spinning around me smileI'm gonna have different coloured flames on each of the wicks...that *will* look fantiddlyastic.gloating over now.flash------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
Crazy!The first time i made a cross, all i could think about was double cross. I have yet to try it though; haven't picked up even my single cross in a long time. Good to hear that it comes naturally though. Let the inspiration flow.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
cool bananas! Are your crosses full size?? Like broomstick length? How'd you attach them in a cross? Is it a permanent attachment? I'd like to hear what kinda moves are still possible with that much to hold onto...Lynley

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
thanks for the words of encouragement Dangerboy...you were the one who actually inspired me to do it. BTW I just came back from 2 years in whistler (but I'm not your average JAFA!)...bummer we didn't bump into each other. I was the only fire performer in that town. lonely fire chick. ooohhhh.I only made it to the island once. oh well.The crosses are only small. each length being slightly less than a metre long. I made them from really thin aluminium tubing 12mm I think. bolted and bound them together and will weld when i have the opportunity. I'm quite small (5ft 3in) and my hands are relatively little. Holding any thicker than 2x12mm would reduce my dexterity and flow I think.grip - I place (really just gently rest actually) my thumb, pointer, middle and ring fingers in between each gap; my palm is facing the crux. tricky stuff to describe. we shot a video and took photos of it last night. will see if i can upload and let you guys know URL.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Attempted thread rescuscitation

Just started playing with a single cross last night. Two four-foot Nesbit staffs lashed together by one Bovrilmonkey (everyone should have a Bovrilmonkey. They are useful and wicked )

I was expecting it to be fun, but it was FUN. Staff moves just worked with it really nicely a lot of the time, although it does have a tendency for ends to leap out and bite you when you don't expect.

The timing seemed pretty tricky for moves which move around the body (figure 8 for example, anything that isn't rotor-style really), but when it worked with doublespins\shotguns the way that the cross folds around feels really nice. Jez said it looked like a satellite orbiting someone, which was a cool image.

Basic contact stuff was surprisingly easy too. The cross sits on bits of the body better than a single staff in some ways, kind of gripping it. Using all of the four junctions as contact points its totally like an ordinary staff, just you have to move twice as fast as usual.

So Flash you've had your crosses a while now, and other people must be playing with them... what cool stuff have you been doing with them? Any advice for making purpose built ones? Go on, tell me, please

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I'd love to know more too.

shouldn's this be in staffage?

-Ba^eX-member
254 posts

Posted:
how do you make different coloured flames?

If life was a ball of fire...i would be the poi sustaining it

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've already started working on the cloning lab in the attic, so everyone can indeed have their own Bovrilmonkey. I'm not sure if I'll have one though, that would just be a little too wierd

I've just had a thought about the length of the crosses we're going to make Simian - we need them short enough for you to do buzzsaw type moves with them - it'd look really nice with 8 evenly spaced fireballs spinning inside your arms.

I'll have to have a think about how to make them collapsible, so it's not a real pain in the arse taking them on the tube.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CatastrophicBRONZE Member
44 posts

Posted:
Yes!!!! I have been wanting to play with double cross but HOW does one fix them together??? I have a good idea but not the engineering skills to make a double clamp that would allow one to spin two staves in one hand, then SNAP! push them into a cross and away you go...now just to engineer that idea...anyone got any good engineering skills??? Lets talk...

Otherwise I just practiced with two wooden dowels attached with leather in the middle in a figure 8 kinda weave...didnt do too well..but I would love to play with more ideas...

How does any one else attach their doubles together? Hmmmm Dangerboy????

giggles

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Tempest: I thought this was the staff moves forum when I bumped this Maybe a helpful mod can shift it across there at some point.

MyTaS: Try doing a search on coloured (or colored) flames, there should be loads of threads about it.

Catastrophic: At the moment Bovril & me are reckoning on specially making them so that they're flush with each other. an actual cross rather than one staff on top of another staff. That means they'll have to have sections cut out at the join, and the actual method of attachment is something we haven't decided on yet.

It'll have to be something that can be taken apart (for transport, try getting a four foot cross shape around on buses and tubes ) and that doesn't stick out and get in the way of gripping it.

It should have a bit of give too, to stop it just bending or breaking when its chucked about (which it inevitably will be).

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ive seen a few Aussies doing double crosses which are basically a pair of staves lashed loosely together so they can be opened into a cross or closed into a single staff (when used together you have doubles crosses to double staves). A bit difficult to throw (they tend to open and close on their own in the air) but a very nice effect when done well.

Flash uses fixed crosses, and I think thats what I will use too, when I get some but I'm still very busy exploring double staves. There is just SOO much in there!

Josh