AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I've been doing poi for about 2 days now. I can already do weaves (3 and 4 beats), corkscrews, and some other stuff. But.... I can seem to get the butterfly just right. Sometimes I have it perfect and going really fast, but most of the time they lock together and hit me in my balls. Now this is really starting to hurt. Why is this happening?!?!? Any suggestions or hints? Thanks, J.P.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey smileI find that when learning the butterfly, it was easiest to hlod one hand kinda resting on the other, so that one hand was slightly higher than the other and slightly in front.The first butterfly I learned was the one with the Poi moving in at the top before crossing, and my left hand was upper.Bear in mind that there are at least 4 variations to a standard front of body in time butterfly;-left hand on top poi in at top-right hand on top poi in at top-left hand on top poi out at top-right hand on top poi out at topyou can switch between which hands you have on top, either alternating quickly or switching once for a few counts etc etc. I think its very important to learn all four variations and be able to switch between them fluidly. This will allow you to go circular with your butterfly (something I aspire to doing, and I'm practicing towards). I can do a butterfly crossflow to the left at the mo, and I'm working on going circular...I hope to have it ready for the interstate poi off in Sydney in April.So yeah. once you get the first butterfly, start working on the others. smileI hope this helps, if you are still having problems, post again. also - the more detail you post about what you are doing the better...good luck,Josh

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Hey Josh,Can you elaborate on that 'butterfly crossflow' move please.If you're gonna perfect it and the circular butterfly for the interstate poi off then I guess I had better start practicing it!*giggle*Seriously... could you?CheersFinn
Non-Https Image Link

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Josh - i can go circular with butterfly (i hope we are talking about the same move - i think i described it on an earlier thread) basically you alternate between reverse and forwards butterflies while turning round - what puzzles me is that i don't understand why you need all 4 variations you describe to do it - it seems to me that you can do it with only 2 (one forwards on in reverse) - of course it pays if you can do all 4 but i was just wondering if we are doing the same move when we talk about going in circles with butterfly...happy swinging,Simos

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Argh! I need to do some work this morning...but not yet.. smileFinn, Butterfly Crossflow, basically just switching from a butterfly on the side of your body to a butterfly on the other side and then back again continuously...can you do the normal crossflow (ie switching from forward weave to backward weave and back continuously?) It's a bit like that, but with alternating poi directions, instead of following...Involves reversing the butterfly.Simos - we are talking about the same move dude! smileI think you need all four if you want to be able to go circular in one direction and then switch back to the other direction without missing a beat...ie turning in one direction only requires 2 variations, turning in both I think SHOULD require 4 although you can probly fudge it with 2...I think it would be techncially a better movement to use 4. (sorry - I get pedantic about technical movement sometimes... smile) whether or not I ever use all four for going circular is another story, but I do think knowledge of the variations is important...For eg. going circular with threading the needle smile) You'd surely need all four for that?JoshSooo many combinations, so litte time! smile)

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
u got the four beat weave in only 2 days...damn

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
what - you didnt Emptyset? winkI got the 12 beat weave in four minutes this morning while eating my toast...I then went on to save the world from space aliens, and win a nobel prize for inventing the worlds first time machine...and its not even lunch time yet!grain of salt grain of salt grain of salt.Josh

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Regarding the butterfly crossflow...Thanks Josh. Yep I can do that. Just didn't know what it was called.Cheers. smile

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
I've practiced the circular butterfly a bit over the last couple of days. Tonight I did it with fire. Flash tells me it doesn't look that impressive *sigh* but I think she just has very high standards winkIt's not difficult. You just pivot on one leg, round and round, and then just switch legs and go back the other way.*whoa, dizzy!*I haven't analysed exactly what my hands are doing yet but I think I was just using the two variations.I'll pay more attention next time! smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ok Finn, if going circular with Butterfly isnt dificult, please please please describe the moves you think _are_ difficult? winkMan - I'm hanging to watch you guys twirl.Josh

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
hey JPdon't take me too seriously, but what about a cricket box for protecting them sensitive bits? i reckon with a helmet added to that you could go really *nuts* with the poi, push the edges as it were without that fear thing holding you back. i *hate* hitting myself, but alas, have to suffer for art.cheerso-o

tkerbymember
30 posts

Posted:
I can do the crossflows, both butterfly and standard and didn't realize what the name was. Had been confusing me on the board for ages! Now I've got a new idea - reverse thread the needle!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah - I just got circular thread the needle the other night - I was so chuffed! smile)I reckon its easier than circular butterfly, but thats just me smileTis a really nice one, cuz you can alternate individually or together...have fun - I love that move.Josh