creaturefaceSILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
i've been spinning fire, mostly with clubs, sometimes staff, and, having just returned from new zealand, poi...for a few years now and i'm finally starting to feel ready to put together a performance and/or troupe of similar performers.the question:i live in boston, and have not managed to meet any other fire performers here, nor have i heard of fire performace here....i also don't know the legal hoops that i need to jump through in order to perform without fear of arrest or persecution...this is a pretty strict city about those sort of things...anyone have any insight for me?other performers to commune or practice with in the area at least?

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hi Elana,I live in Boston too (Jamaica Plain exactly) and would love to put together some kind of performers. I have been spinning for about 6 months now, Poi and fire if the weather allows it. There are several people from the area on this discussion group that i have tried to contact before so there is an opportunity for a troupe.Where do you live? Do you know of any indoor place (gymnasium, ballroom, anything) where we could practise unlit?joseph

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
This is one of those things where your mileage almost certainly will vary, BUT...A number of pro twirlers down here have gotten certified by the fire department for indoor performances. I have not, but from what I am told, it is not difficult. Basically they go to a fire station, explain what it is that they do, and in return for promising to observe certain restrictions, are given a permit for performing with fire. The restrictions are:1. No fuel on stage2. Must quench wicks in a bucket of water after performing3. Must be at least 15 feet from audience (curiously, if there is a band on stage, you don't need to be distant from them at all), and the ceiling must be at least 15 feet (I think) high.I think that's it. The friend who went through this and related this to me told me she was not required to do a performance or really jump through any particular hoops to get the permit.FWIW,------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Interesting... How about getting a permit for outdoor performances?There are pro twirlers in the Boston area? Are you one???

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
JP, Oh I remember JP. I lived in a couple place just off Center Street. One on Rose, one on Jamaica. Give me regards to that big old gray tree on Jamaica Pond. Anyway, Elana, I can totally understand your concerns at playing fire in Boston. I remember the conservatism well. Adam's local restrictions are good common sense practices as well. I would add no open flame within 15 feet of the fueling station, remove excess fuel before performance, carry fuels in clearly labled and approved containers. Fire safety personnel and fire extinguishers will probably be required as well. Fire performance restrictions are issued by local fire marshalls so they vary by municipality. In my town, for instance, one ounce of liquid fuel is allowed on stage for fire breathing. Talk to your local fire marshall for details. I've cleared my act with my fire marshall and found them very professional and easy to deal with. For more general safety info see: https://fireflys.hypermart.net/safety.htm...esafety.htmHave
fun, play safe,Diana

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hey Boston spinners!I found a place where we could get together and spin. It's the community center of Washington st. in the South End. We can get the auditorium mondays and tuesdays from 7 to 8:30 PM. Whoever is interested can email me at joseph@paris.com

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Nomad, you so rock! Bring the tribes together. I wish I could be there. Diana

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hey Adam, where do you practise with other poiers? I've seen on another post that you did an outside performance (indeed it was cold this past weekend!) with 7-8 people. Are they still here? Where was that?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Nomad--I'm in Austin, not Boston, so I'm not sure how relevant the info is, but there's a group that meets most every week, usually in the empty lot next to Pato's Tacos, usually on Thursdays. My, umm, debut was at a housewarming party in my neighborhood.It was probably colder where you are--it was in the 40s here.------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Shit... why did i think you lived in boston?...