funkenflugmember
7 posts

Posted:
Hi there!I´ve been following developments on this board for quite some time now and i think it really rocks. Its great to finally have a forum for sharing our thoughts on an activity we all love. Since i´ve profited from ideas discussed on this board ( the 5-beat weave/ 4-beat windmill - corkscrew is really nice, thank you) i find it only fair to share a few ideas of mine.If someone of you has posted some of the following moves before, please forgive me, i surely haven´t read every entry.Here goes: --Weaving around the waistThis is a move which after some practice will feel completely natural, can therefore be done impressively fast and looks (IMHO) even more spectacular than the circular weave. Okay, let´s get to it. Swing a reverse 3-beat weave directly in front of your body at waist level, your feet shoulders width apart, toes pointing to the front. Now twist your body to one side as far as you comfortably can and swing into a forward weave. This is your turning point. As soon as you have completed that forward weave, untwist your body and swing the pois via a reverse 3-beat weave in front of your body all the weay around to the other side, where you go into a forwards weave again - ad infinitum. Style is important here.Most of the twisting movement is in the upper body. Keep both feet firmly planted on the ground (no dancing with this one) only the toes turn to the side you are twisting in. Make sure you twist your body much more than 90 degrees, in fact, the closer you get to 180 the better.The side to side swing should almost be a full circle. Now for the good part: When you are comfortable with the basic pattern, make both forward weaves at your sides 5-beat weaves. Now this is really fun. Here is another one: Side to side butterflyBegin by swinging circles at your side, one forwards, one backwards. Now swing one hand over to the other side and go into a butterfly at your sides, hands touching. Not too hard, is ist? Okay, once you are comfortable with this, switch back into the alternating circles you started with and try the switch into the butterfly on the other side. This is obviously different, but not too hard either. Now try to reduce the number of alternating circles you just used as a transition. As your feel for the move develops, you will probably notice you don´t need the alternating circles for a transition at all. Instead you can swing directly from a butterfly at one side to a butterfly at the other side. Keep your hands touching all the time. The full move is one beat of side butterfly on your left followed by one beat of side butterfly on your right - ad infinitum. Experiment with the heights you do this move in. A nice transition into this pattern: Swing forward circles at your sides, do a single shoulder wrap (described elsewhere on this board) unwrap and go directly into the move.And another one: Do a forwards weave. When weaving on your right and the left poi is ready to swing to the left, the right hand breaks the weave pattern, swings all the way around your back and does a single forward swing at your left, and swings all the way back into the weave. During this the left hand does its part of the weave motion completely undisturbed. If you have timed the move correctly, your right poi joins the weave without the slightest hitch. The move works of course with the left hand breaking the pattern, too. For optimal visual impact it should be done symmetrically.An easy way (well, relatively easy anyway) to get used to behind the back moves (btb):Swing forward circles at your sides, in alternating timing. Now let your hands swap sides, one hand crosses to the other side in front, one in back. Let your pois do a single revolution in this position and swap sides again. You will notice that this time your arms have to cross your entire body, moving from a forwards swing at the far side and in front of your body to a forwards swing at the far side in back - ad infinitum. This pattern works with backward swings, too, of course - this is even slightly easier to learn.....another one: Swinging btb under the opposite arm.: Swing backward circles at your sides. Now bring one arm across your back to the other side and from now on the pois swing in unison, backward circles first on one side, then on the other. You will notice that the circle on the far side is effectively swung under the opposite arm. Move your shoulders out of the way and don´t tangle your strings. Don´t be discouraged if this pattern does seem impossible at first - it is rather hard to get the hang of it, but i assure you, it is perfectly possible. don´t we all love a challenge.So let me end this with something more easily attainable: Transition from forwards weave to a hands together butterfly in front of your body. Do a forwards weave, when weaving on your right and the left hand gets ready to move to its own side, use the momentum of the poi to swing ( with your left poi) into an outwards circle directly in front of your body and keep up this circle no matter what. At the same time the left hand does this change into outward circles, the right hand moves into an inward circle (same direction!) [This message has been edited by funkenflug (edited 07 February 2001).]

funkenflugmember
7 posts

Posted:
Oops, i was quite rudely interrupted. now, where was i? .......At the same time the left hand does this change into outward circles, the right hand moves into an inward circle ( same direction!) which is wrapped around the left forearm. Now unwrap smoothly and if timed correctly, you can now move directly into the butterfly. style is everything with this move. it has to be done real smooth and graceful, use a `long` wrap(meaning the point of contact with the forearm is close to the poi handle, so the poi wraps itself several times around your arm ). So wear something long-sleeved and don`t try this with fire until it is a hundred percent solid.If you are interested, i might have some more stuff for you.Bye for now and happy swinging to you all!

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey funkenflug (does that mean spark flight or something similar???)...thanx for the moves; most of them i've been doing them too, the rest i'll go and try them out now grinkeep those new moves coming everyone and happy swinging smile,Simos

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Hey Funkenflug,Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. If it wasn't 12-35am and I wasn't in bed with my laptop (and my bf) I'd be trying some of them out right now!Finn
Non-Https Image Link