smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
why is it always poi moves? i dont have anything against it i think it rocks, but where are the staff moves in this section?

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
...agree. been at the pole (sorry thats what i call the staff) for a bit lately. been doing horizontal stuff: pole on open palm spins overhead, turn body in opposite direction. let the pole 'fall' with your closing palm as you bend at waist and twirl the horizontal behind your back.'wrap' the pole around your body at waist, neck, knees, ankles. depending on the length, you may be able to combine this with inside horizontal circles (pole under arm)throw the pole off the aforementioned palm spin with an upward push (i call this a helicopter throw) catch and bring around waist etc.twirling buddy keeps trying to get me to stop the pole (from a forward or backward vertical circle) agains body and follow with a cartwheel (too chicken at the mo)roll on the floor under your flat circles (see video section / xaeda)xaeda actually wraps up most of the stuff i know quite well. check out the vids.cheerso-o

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
If you do a discussion search you should be able to find a thread that Xaeda and I shared a few months ago about this very thing. We came up with a slew of strange moves you might be interested in.Yes, her vids are great and I for one will say I miss her input on the boards.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah I agree Pele, I miss the staff threads...I guess she moved on cuz she wasnt getting much outa it, and ppl werent even showing much interest...The vids are great, I've downloaded most of em, but she does miss a bunch of stuff you can do without releasing from the hand...stuff that allows for double staff technique for eg.I think Flash should do an advanced double stave tutorial smilewhatdyasay Flash?Josh.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Josh - you're playing with inside knowledge here...you know I won't be able to resist the temptation!The thing with my doubles staves is this: I don't have a *huge* repetoir of moves; what does it for me is my style and flow. I incorporate a lot of upper body movement into my spinning and use the "chakras" with just about every move. I suppose the variety comes with the positioning of the staves around my body - high, middles, low etc...Additionally, beacuse I am self taught, I have probably picked up a lot of bad habits that really shouldn't be passed on!To even seriously consider doing the tutes, I'd need critical review by other doubler's and lots of positive affirmation!ooh. Just thought of something...I suppose Malcolm would want to check the talent before considering uploading. I've never been to New Zealand... winkflash------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I reckon you can get that inspiration and new moves from Ben, he is inspiring to watch on the doubles, so full off energy and fluid, just makes it all look so easy!!!Sorta of like watching Finn on pois....Makes me wanna practise every day (even when my fingers a re so blistered it hurts to close my fist)Ouch

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -