spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
Constantly switching from the forward weave to reverse weave seems to have a neat effect. By switching i mean the thing where you twirl around 180 degrees (the video on this page www.juggling.co.nz/new7.htm - move #19 in advanced)You do this without doing a single repetition on either side, just keep rotating and changing direction. It's hard at first *dizzy* but once you can do it really fast it looks cool.

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
if u think that is cool do a corkscrew then move dirrectly into a reverse weave, and as your moving out of the reverse weave go back into the corkscew

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Yes, the weave-corkscrew's a good one (though I find it's easier to do it from a forward weave). Another similar one I just figured out yesterday is the "fountain", where you put 1.5 reps (I think) of a windmill in the middle of a weave. Got this from Simon Marquis' page.It was especially interesting figuring this one out, because it made me realize I had always been doing the windmill in one direction--doing the fountain, you have to windmill in the same direction as the weave is moving, and I could do it pretty easily going right to left, but not the other way. So I had to back up and force my hands to get comfortable doing a clockwise windmill first.Oh, and as long as I'm posting here, try this: do a corkscrew, and then do a leg-beat with your dominant hand (easier that way) to flip into a horizontal Mexican wave.------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Adam - what's a leg-beat??? also what's the best way to change smoothly from a weave to a corkscrew and vice-versa???thanx,Simos

jugglesmember
11 posts

Posted:
hey spiffspiff,about that idea of turning back and forth between forward and backward weave. i figured that out a while back and called it gears. anyway, i also realized that you can do a corkscrew over your head while you're switching from one to the other and it looks amazing.------------------Happy spinning everone!

Happy spinning everone!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Simos--A leg-beat is like a wrap, except you're really just bouncing the wick off your leg, rather than letting the chain wrap around it. It's another way of reversing directions. Depending on what move I'm doing, I'll be doing leg-beats against my inner/outer thigh/shin. Leg-beats against the shin don't work as well, though.Best way to move from weave to corkscrew? It's really a matter of timing, but just as your hands begin pulling from one side to the other, sweep them up and bring the chains around. It takes a while to get comfortable with it, but once you do, it feels natural. The harder trick is pulling out of the corkscrew and back into the weave. You'll need to momentarily speed up, and pay attention to the direction of your corkscrew, which side you are on, and the direction of your weave. For example: if you are doing a corkscrew that goes left>right across the front, you can pull into a reverse weave as it comes to your right side, or a forward weave as it goes to your left, but not vice-versa (I had to go outside just now and confirm I had these directions right).HTH,------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Adam - thanx for the reply! why am i always the other way round??? grini can get out of a corkscrew and into a weave fairly easily but when i do the opposite it doesn't look very smooth...(it looks better if i slow up my weave a bit - i think the problem is that glowsticks are light and difficult to change their direction of flight)happy swinging,Simos

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
I think i've seen the fountain before, but i'm not quite to clear on this...Does NEone have a video of it being done? as those are often very helpful ^__^Once i get better [meaning far in the future], i'll get one of my friends to get it on tape so i can share it with the rest of ya wink------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yo Adam,that corkscrew to horizontal mexican wave using a leg beat is a trick I only worked for myself the other week! smile and I thought I was the only one!Just goes to show you, if you have a good idea, probly someone else has had it someplace in the world! smileI really like that move, cuz you can alternate it from side to side...I kinda stand on one leg and do the leg beat on the supporting leg....then I slowly swap during one corkscrew to the other leg for the next beat to bring it back to mexican...then I can go back the other way to balance out the direction, and the body movement..I like with all my moves to at least end up on the same spot...that way I will be able to move with them much better in the future..cuz if you can do it standing still - you can do it while moving in any direction (once you got the move down pat) smileJosh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Another variation I was just shown last week is to use a body wrap instead of a leg beat. I haven't tried this myself yet, but it looks cool. But if I'm twirling fire shirtless, I'm a little concerned about contact with hot metal.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey adam,I've done leg wraps / beats in shorts...its not too bad, as long as you dont get lazy winkI reckon with a body wrap you would be fine.I'll try it tommorrow night and tell you the result if you like..Josh

Lazerousmember
17 posts

Posted:
one of the moves that ive been working on lately is a variation of the weave corkscrew combo. i call it "boxed out", i dont know if anyone else is doing this or not, but ill try explaining as best i can. start out in a forward weave, when you feel comfortable when your right hand is leading change into a corkscrew going counter clockwise over your hands, but you never finish the corkscrew you only do half of it, then immediately start a reverse weave on your left side, but only do the rotation on the left side, when you would normally cross over to the right side do a clockwise corkscrew under your hands, then finish up by returning to the forward weave. this is the best way that i have found to start off this combo, maybe the terminology is alittle of but thats the best way i can explain it. ive tried doing this starting off on forward weaves from both the left and the right side. right side is easier for me because im right handed. you can do it starting a reverse weave too but i find it kinda hard, the trick is to make the box look like chasing xmas tree lights. looks really good with 2 different colored glowsticks, and works best with short strings.. you can do it with long strings but it makes for a real workout doing the contortions to get it to work.. i bet it would look really neat with fire tho.. so long chains here i come.. try it and tell me what you think

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Cool. I've been trying to get that myself, but so far haven't nailed it. The folks around here call it "around the world" (assuming what you are describing is the same as what I think I've seen--something I don't take for granted!).

Lazerousmember
17 posts

Posted:
keep trying it really cool and is a very good warm up move, just work on your transitions from weave to corkscrew and you'll get it pretty quick. good luck