AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey everyone, is anyone out there doing any bolo work? two short chains with balls on both ends? please share!!!-flavio

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually they can be used like poi though they fly a little differently when let go of (don't ask). Poi moves do work on them but the extra weight makes them move in a way that I really need to get used to. When they flare out, like in a nover the head spin, it really is cool. If you put them on long chains you can slam them into the floor and make really cool rhythms. For those who don't know it's usually two balls on one end of one chain that forks apart not like a meteor where it's a ball on seperate ends) which would equal 4 flaming balls about our fragile human forms! These seperate chains in my VERT LIMITED experience will flail and get all twisted and make for some really interesting bruises.That is as far as I got with them..other than detatching one ball and using it as a rhythm piece that is.Sheesh...just what we need...more balls to play with! smileIf any one else gets these I am interested as well.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
maybe my terminology is all screwed up.... i was asking about the later explanation that you gave. one chain, one ball on each end. except you have a chain in each hand. still 4 flaming balls though... i'll have to try out the former explanation though... sounds mighty cool....as for my original question, the only thing that i have mastered is doing figure 8 movements with them, which is only about 4 moves....somewhat similar to what can be done when putting two regular poi chains in one hand.... i'm very curious if anyone else has experience with these.-flavio

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
oh yeah, i forgot.. someone once told me that it's very similar to doing double staff work. ????i can envision the moves okay, but palming the chains seems pretty impossible.... since they're way flimsier than a stick.... :-(

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So it's like a meteor that you hang onto in the middle? Herm....Could you do the same moves that you use when doing the one handed two poi butterfly?Now I am curious...thanks Flavio! smile

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah, it is like a meteor that you hang onto in the middle. ;-) except instead of them both in one hand, you have one in each hand. double dangerous! ha!i can't remember off hand the legnth that works best for me, i think it's 12 inch chains. i had to put bike tape grip in the center leading out about 2 inches past the hand, other wise it's impossibly flimsy. and really really tiny balls, other wise you will catch on fire. i'll typically graze my head or upper arm at least once while they're lit. maybe they should be even shorter... hmmm.looking at xaeda's staff video's you can do moves #5, 6, 12 (minus going behind the back), and 24 of course each arm has to be staggered just like with poi..woody's double staff video's #'s 1, 2, and 3plus the poi move of basic cross in front of the body and the weave... haven't quite figured out how to go from forwards weave to backwards weave with them yet.... so that's about all i can do, and throw in some staggered movements, so it looks a little bit different. i haven't tried to butterfly with both chains in one hand... that hurts my brain... ;-)so i guess, the most difficult part is working with two different chains with their relative forces. it can be a bit taxing on the brain. i can sometimes turn around in a circle doing the weird hip swish sashay move that i love so much, but inevitably one arm always ends up off kilter and i have to jerk it back into fluid motion. the other thing to mention is that almost all of the work is done with your wrist moving in a figure 8 sequence. not like poi in that aspect at all......god i hope someone else is doing this and can share some knowledge! let me know how your trial's with this go though!!-flavio

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
There was a site about bolo stuff that had a lot of information, bolos he was selling, and an instructional video.I know he was from up north and referred to them as Eskimo Yo-yos.It seems like the site isn't where it used to be, and having trouble tracking it down. If anyone can find it, it'd probably answer a lot of the questions. I know he mentioned like 50 tricks, including stuff involving rubber balls on each end and bouncing off of floors and walls.Shawn =)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Flavio, I've seen Serafina play with something like you're describing. She's from your neck of the woods, right? Maybe she'd have some other ideas for you. Diana

jugglesmember
11 posts

Posted:
i found a site on bolo but i don't know if its the one you are talking about.https://www.alaska5000.org/~dbakiana/index.htmcheck it out. its actually a pretty cool site.------------------Happy spinning everone!

Happy spinning everone!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Here are some artistic versions of the Alaskan yo-yo:https://www.geocities.com/knot_tyer/toys.htmlqm

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
woah! bolo bolo eveywhere!thanks for the links! i can't wait to check them out! diana- as for serafina- magmavox are hardly ever in town- but- yeah, i didn't know she did a bolo thing... will have to ask her about it next time i see her.anyway kids!thanks so much for the info!-flavio

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Juggles, that is indeed the site I was talking about. Thanks for tracking it down. I won't comment on his sense of website design (hehe), but looks like there may be some interesting stuff in it.If anyone gets the booklet or bolo or video, let us know how it is!

sundancermember
1 post

Posted:
I got a chance to use something very similar in israel, it was esentialy two poi with six inches of leather connecting them at the ends. you could do cross and follow, but butterfly was always a problem, and one handed butterfly only ended in disaster: smile it seems like it would have alot of potential in the air, with either end pulling it into a long straight line, but for some reason it just doesnt work that way. oh well.MitchellakaSundancerakaEquinox