Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
Has any-one managed to do a 5 beat weave behind their back? Any hints, as I keep coming close, but then almost killing myself! smileAll help greatly appriciated,Tim /|\

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Yes I can do it, but only backwards. God it hurts.I've found the best way to do it is to turn so your facing away from the poi, then when you change to the other side you have to proper thrash youur body around 180 degrees. I don't do it in performances because it looks ugly and doesn't add anything to my performance.the normal 5 beat chase, when combined with quad windmills and corkscrews, makes everything look oh-so-smooth, but behind the back it doesn't because you have to throw yourself around like a paraletic.good luck, let me know how its going coz I would like to get it going round a bit better too.Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
For some reason, I can't edit my last message.You inspired me to perfect it (my sides are now in agony...)You only need to tease your body round (perhaps not 90 degrees, maybe 60) as you are getting your extra beats in. You can then move back round and 60 degrees in the other direction at a constant speed. It's really the same movement needed when you first do the bhtb chase, but much more exaggerated. I think the movement could be reduced the more you do it, well thats what happened with the 3 beat version anyway.I'm gunna try to get it forwards so I can do it circular. Should be fun.Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
oh no!!! grin just as i finally got the 3-beat one, now the 5-beat one??? grrrrr i'll never find peace of mind with you guys out there! well i don't think i can do it right now but if anyone gets it let me know, i am very curious to find out if it's possible and how difficult it is... wink i'll go practise the 3-beat one a bit more!happy swinging,Simos

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
I just about managed to get it in a circular form, but I CAN'T do it in one position!! (Grrrr.....) And now, as I've spent so long trying that, my body seems to refuse to remember how to do a 3 beat one!! Oh well, back to the drawing board! smileGood luck people,Tim /|\

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So are we talking contortionism or masochism here???? Yes it can be done with a bit of movement and alot of yoga. I haven't got it perfectly smooth, either way we look at it but hey, the point is, we're trying!With sore muscles and a smile... smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
i can do a seven beat weave and include a hop where one of the beats spins under my foot.erm, no. actually, what is a 5 beat weave? i looked at somebod's explanation (jo, i think)at some point but could not work it out. i am fine with 3 beat weave and circular, learning bhtb.anyone got a nice explanation for the slow kid?tao-o

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
o-o a 5-beat weave is basically a weave with an extra revolution of the Poi on each side - take the 3-beat weave; your right poi does one revolution on the right side and 2 on the left, isn't it? (3-beat) for the 5-beat one it should be doing 2 revolutions on your right and 3 on your left side...this is achieved by twisting your wrists around each other - it's very easy to do when doing it forwards and at least for me, much harder to do in reverse, and btb it seems impossible!!!happy swinging,Simos

Alanmember
3 posts

Posted:
my glow stick swinging mentor Alex called me up today and said he finally got the 7 beat weave! Ive seen him do it on one side making 6 revolutions on each side and its crazy!

Burn em' to ashes and then burn the ashes.-Ray Bradbury Farenhite 451

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
Yes last weekend i got a 7 beat weaveall you do is cross your arms at the elbows and wrap your wrists around as far as they golean into your last 2 revolutions on each sideturning 60-90 degrees helps a bit

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
12 beat weave instructions.=============I'm so hard.here's how it goes.do your 3 beat weave til your comfortable.Then instead of bringing it across, keep it there and let the poi wrap around each other til they are almost out of momentum, then switch em to the other sidelet em unwind.if you start with a cranking 3 beat, you should be able to pull off at least 12 perside.have fun.------------------[Josh][Sound beams producing arcs of light]

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
it's funny that there are people out there that do a 7-beat weave - the best i could do was try to do it by wrapping the string around my hand; i 'll go try more i guess!!! grinhappy swinging,Simos

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
thanx simos,gonna go hurt myself some more with my 'ninja' poi. light bike cable with wicks. i guess if i screw up i might garotte myself and have to get a mechanical arm winko-o

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Wooooooooooooooo!!!I _just_ got the 5-beat-weave down good! Hooray hooray hooray!!!I never thought I'd get it. I thought I'd hit a plateau and would never learn another trick. Yippeeeeee!!!Had to share, thanks all. smile

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Gee, Protie, maybe you can explain *how* you got it. I've been bashing myself silly working on it. But I've just about got the btb weave down.------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah, explain. That would help me out too. I have the weave down perfect but the 5 beat weave continues to elude me.

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
I'd love to know to. I can do the 4 beat chase (well I think it's 4 beats) but the 5 beat chase eludes me. I haven't seen anyone do it before (which I find helps me) so I've been trying to do it based on what I can see on the animation here on home of poi. It's really hard to see what the hands are meant to be doing. I know they have to wrap around each other but..... Help!!! smile[This message has been edited by Finn (edited 13 February 2001).]