PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Sorry...forgot this one which can be used with staff or if you have the knack of the two poi in one hand (which I don't have) then I imagine that would be pretty awesome with this.WORD OF CAUTION: I have years of dance and even some yoga behind me for this one...Please stretch before attempting it or you WILL hurt some of your favorite muscles! blushEmpire Stand:Just start in a normal standing position, swing with the arm that is one the same side of your body as the leg you balance best on...(example: I balance best on my left leg so I swing with my left hand) either the staff or two in one hand poi. Bring your opposite foot (in my case my right foot) so that it is in your same hand (my right hand).Use your hand to bring your foot up along side your body so that it is parallel with your torso (as in a standing split). Swing your poi or staff in a figure eight around your body for as long as you can balance it.To get out of it the easy way is to of course put your foot down....me, I lower my leg behind my body...never touching the ground, so that I am still balanced on my left leg, spinning with both hands in front of me and my body and right leg are parallel with the floor, I then simply throw my weight back, spin over my head and fall into a full split. Does that makes sense?Another way I get out of it is to simply hold my leg in "high" position, spin above my head and a bit behind me and fall forward into a split. It's not as painful as it sounds, really. smile It's not hard, just looks that way. grinGood Luck!!!! And if you pull something...don't say I didn't warn you! tongue------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
hey Pele,i had you pegged as a nutter. thanx for confirming my suspicion. 'simply' fall out of an empire stand into a ground split???ouch!o-o

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I Never said I was sane O!!!!!I think any of us who play with fire are a bit off kilter!And here in NY, a nutter is a sandwich! *lol*Okay..well maybe "simply" was the wrong word to use here rolleyes but if you stretch enough you should be able to get the stand part of it down. If not, you'll be a bit more limber for trying!!!! tongueThe other staff moves I posted shouldn't be so hard...they don't require the amount of flexibility as this one does...maybe you should look at those! grinSee? Something for everyone, great family fun!!! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Pele, i hope that at least for this move you can see why it's more difficult for guys (ground split - ouch!) smile - oh by the way did i mention that i got the behind the back weave???? hurray, i didn't try it for a long time and a few days ago i thought i'd give it a try by practising a few behind the back cross-overs...to my surprise i could do the weave straight away - oh well, it's a strange world i guess grinhappy swinging,Simos

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I understand though I know men who can do the flexibility things better than I can..thanks to their gymnastics training wink!Still...you can try it WITHOUT the split ya know! Sheesh! And here I though I was doing good putting up a move! rolleyes------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
interesting...a nutter flambe, crispy fries (with a side of hot sauce) and a gasoline alley ta go!Pele, do you think that at some point you might consider doing a vid of some of your poi ground work - i am very interested but the medium don't suit the level of complexity you have reached...we are going to be doing some vid soon - looks like fun. Anyway, thanks for all the cool move posts - you aren't as cryptic as you think! i get really lost trying to explain stuff.cheerioo-ops a gasoline alley is a drink that bish introduced me to long before we started spinning: shot glass - half tequila, half southern comfort. forch i haven't swallowed any fuel yet, but i imagine its a bit like a gasoline alley. try not to burp smile

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Hey Pele smile - i am behind o-o concerning you doing a video grin - i think it's a great idea so when you got time, go ahead!!! as for the moves, keep on posting them, i don't do any ground work myself but maybe it's time for me to give it a go and damage some of my favourite muscles wink happy swinging,Simos

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey guys.. Okay so you twisted my arm! smileCurrently we are in the middle of a nasty winter and so my indoor practicing is not right for video footage but I have found a camera to borrow and either sometime after spring thaw or during my show on May 9th I will make a video and send it in, actually prolly two. One for the contest and one that breaks down the moves if Malcolm is interested. Either way....you won!!!!!!!!! tongueAnd Simos...make sure there is someone there who can rub out the pain or kiss it and make it better if you hurt your favorite muscles!!!! Makes the whole experience worth it! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Yeyyyyyyyy grin i am really looking forwards that video Pele! as for the kissing part i think i need to take some time off from everything apart from Poi! my favourite muscles can heal with a hot bath winkon the other hand, i'll try to give it a try - maybe it's gonna help me practise more! smilehappy swinging,Simos

jessejamesmember
22 posts

Posted:
hey pelemust admit im a stretching losermostly because im a slackerpartialy because i dont know many good stretchesjust wondering if there were any you could recomend to limber up thos groin mucsells(sp)thanksjessejames

burnin down the house

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yoga buttefly type thing.....Sit down putting the bottoms of your feet together...knees to the sides. Try to get you heels n as close to your groi as you can, keeping your knees on the floor. If you can, bend over your legs for a bit more stretch.Also, legs straight out to the sides as far as comfortable and lean forward between them.Stand and do the same thing.Start in standing position legs about hip width or a bit wider apart and bend right leg, keeping left straight and hips forward...do the same on the other side, trying to go as far down as you can.Don't ever push it past the hurting point....then you are doing more damage than good. Don't do these without warming up a bit some (walking in place or some such thing) cause cold muscles tend to strain. When you get accostumed to one degree push it a little and make it harder...try sliding into a split from standing position and such.Take it slow, what you are doing is retraining the way your body sets itself and that takes time.Good luck!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele