Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > How do you - from two same direction, to opposite directions?

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi All,I'm just wondering if anyone knows an elegant way of going from two poi spinning forwards at sides, to two poi spinning in opposite directions at sides which can be done at speed? (Without just working the spin planes from parallel to butterfly and then splitting butterfly with a 90 degree body turn).I have two methods..1) going slowly forwards, depower the poi as they are approaching the top of their swing somewhere above your shoulders. without letting them fall, but while they are kinda wieghtless, start moving your hands together, in order to draw them straight down the sides of your body. As your hands come together you will notice you are in reverse butterfly. Now do a 90 degree turn with your body, drawing the lead poi across, and Voila! you are in opposite directions with a Poi at each side.2) The other way I do it is the only move I do that I cant teach. I can do it very fast and never stuff it up. I will try to describe it, and I think anyone that does it will know what I mean (I hope). you start by allowing one Poi to come inside your arm for one turn, then you do a 90 degree turn with your body so you have two poi turning in front of you *in the same direction*. (I think this is only possible with short poi as otherwise you would probs tangle?). Then I'm not sure what I do but it involves turning your body back the other way a couple of times. The reason I cant teach it is because I cant get it to work in parts. It only seems to work for me when going fast and when done all at once. Perhaps I should video it and do a frame by frame breakdown smile Anyhow, I dont pass the poi over my head and I think there are some low turns in there.See what I mean? see why I want an elegant solution?Happy Poi'ing,Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 10 January 2001).]

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
this is one way i do it, but i don't know if it meets your elegance requirement:move from forward or reverse swing into butterfly. go from there into alternating butterfly, also known on this site as mexican wave. you don't have to stay long in this move, one beat behind the back will do.as the poi are at the top (if you started with reverse swing, bottom if you started with forward swing) turn ninety degrees towards the hand behind your back and there it is.there are other ways. try moving from forward swing into chase the sun and then do the ninety deg turn.good lucko-o

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi 0-0,I guess I should have been more specific...what I meant was a move to go from one to the other without just 'working' the spin planes from parallel to butterfly...Thank for the try tho.I'll correct my question.My Bad (I'm new).Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 10 January 2001).]

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
look at the low turn in the poi lessonsdo this with 1 arm and the other just keeps going forwardsanother way (the one i do alot and is the oppisite of your second move) is to bring one poi way outside on a vertical plane then tuck it in and swing up (takes some practice)your arm should follow a giant S shapehope this helps ya a bit[This message has been edited by Jeff Duncan (edited 10 January 2001).]

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
nothing wrong with a single leg wrap and it does seem to impress people.

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thanks Guys, I think the one I like best is the single leg wrap...especially if after a few opposing direction moves you switch back to same direction by using the opposite leg for wrapping...thus balancing out the initial 1-legger.Get a bit dirty with my firepoi tho :) Oh well...a bit of soot never hurt anyone...Happy Poi'ing,Josh

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
single leg wrap???? que es esto??? is the chain actually wrapping around your thigh? from what direction? forward/reverse? which side? i can do between the leg stuff, but i don't know if you'd call it a "wrap"...im so confused!!!any help with that would be appreciated!-heph

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
Ive never tried any of the body wrap stuff - didnt think it was a good idea with firepoi, but after josh's comment I thought I'd try it and .. oh my god it works !! smile ok ok I know everyone else knew this but Im impressed and whole new repertiore for my dance smile .. just have to doubly make sure not to wear shorts now smile

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
hey josh - were you wanting to change direction on both poi? or just one? kinda got confused in the middle there smileI know this isnt what you were after but .. I use the reverse butterfly a lot to change direction by just taking it over the head and bringing it down to the sides, or the forwards by doing a kinda low turn to the sides ...hope that helps someone smile

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
3 safety things:-1) If you are going to try leg wrapping with fire poi, make sure you have shaken all the excess fuel out of them first, or else you might find you have a burning spot of fuel left on your leg after the move.2) either do it in bare skin (its not *that* hot) or make sure you are wearing natural fabric on your legs...dont try this with synthetics! But it should all work out if you...3) Do it quick! The faster you do it, the less time the flame touches your leg. some ppl talk about doing it with out touching your leg, but more often than not I've found that it can be done much faster by wrapping fast and bouncing the poi off your leg.DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR ABILITIES. SERIOUS INJURY CAN OCCUR IF YOU TANGLE.Get it right first with poi before trying it with fire poi.and yes. You stick your leg out (I prefer to do it round my thigh) and whack *the chain* into your leg on the downstroke (I find about 1/2 way up the chain is best, but I have thick legs; YMMV) The chain should then wrap around your thigh, and once completely wrapped it *should* (if you have done it right) unwrap and be going in the opposite direction to which it came in. I dont want to hear any horror stories over the next few days, so please if you arent sure about this, DONT DO IT! You can imagine what will happen if you tangle and the firepoi is stuck touching your leg...for confident tricksters...-how about standing like you are riding a very fat horse, and doing a double thigh wrap.-In the same Horse stance, Pass and cross the Poi between your legs and do a reverse double crossed wrap, a little pull and both Poi will come straight back out :)-Corkscrew to Double body wrap to reverse Screw. from a horizontal corkscrew above your head bring em down, stop your hands at your shoulders and ensure your elbows are against your sides, wrap, and push up into an opposite corkscrew.I feel that these moves have an extreme element of danger if tried with firepoi (they are *definitely* the most dangerous moves I know), so please have someone nearby with a couple of buckets of water at least. If you stuf it up, there is a possibility that the Poi will become trapped AGAINST YOUR SKIN.Happy and safe poi'ing.Josh

Bmember

Posted:
Ok, here's another way to switch from both poi spinning in the same direction to having them going in opposites...Kick!Spin both poi backwards, and as they reach the top of their rotation, kick your foot out behind you. If you get it right, and flick your wrist a bit to get the momentum, the poi will bounce back in the other direction, and now you have them going in opposite directions. grin

Bren

Chrismember
11 posts

Posted:
Instead of a leg wrap try an arm wrap to change the direction of one of the poi.Keep one poi spinnng forward say the left one - then put your right wrist under your right armpit allowing the poi to wrap around your right forearm and upperarm - then unwrap it going the opposite direction.Easy peasy![This message has been edited by Chris (edited 18 January 2001).]