moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
I was just making some practice poi for a friend and having attached the balls to either end of a cord began wondering about all the comments about kusari gama etc .. and wondering what it'd be like swinging poi that are attached in the middle ... so after a wee play I thought Id tell a few other people to try it since it seems like there is some cool potential here smile I had 3 meters between the poi .. which might have been a bit long .. but it didnt quite tangle me up and left enough that I could play it out for a large circle in one hand outside the inner poi before pulling it back in - seems like you could get some cool tricks out of it - especially if you want to freak the crowd out a little bit smile .. that extra length could be quite cool smilebe interested to know how other people find it...

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
hey lurk, i think what you are describing is known as "Meteor" twirling, or something like that. there was a discussion about it in the main discussion group a while back. some people have one long chain with like a bowl filled with fuel on each end, they light up the fuel, grab the chain in the middle at two places, and spin. i think the centrifugal force is supposed to keep the fuel inside the bowl or something, it seems pretty riske to me though. i figure why not do the traditional kevlar wick at each end. i don't know much about it though, but i know it does exist as another form of dance. so check out the other posts....happy swinging!-Heph

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey lurk,now try that with one in each hand!! they obviously can't be too long, mine are about 20 inches total each...... weeeeeeee....

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
Heph - I guess it depends on what you see as the defining characteristic of meteors smile but yeah its that shape I guess - cept you dont have to keep the spin up quite so high smileFlavio - the advantage of the longer rope is you can do some cool concentric circle stuff. with my normal poi I often hold the straps together and twirl one handed (good for walking down uni corridors without braining passerbys smile

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah, one long one is a totally different deal then 2 shorter ones. is there anyone else out there that does this bolo thing, that i'm talking about? i'd be very interested to hear what sort of moves people have come up with.... maybe i'll post this as a new move message.-flavio