Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 2 poi moves for somebody who can do around 30-50 tricks

Login/Join to Participate

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
mmmmm ok here is another 2 tricks that im the only one out of every poi swinger i know that does them.(can get very annoying trying to learn these but i finally did and its worth it)i noticed that the wind mill is exactly like the corkscrew only just a different angle/height and postureso when you get the quadruple corkscrew you might as well learn the quadruple windmill right? only difference is there is no room for error on this so....get 2 sticks roughly the size of your poi. now the sticks will replace your poi while you practice this (sticks dont bend so you can go as slow as you like at first) and voila in 5 minutes i had it down, and could go through it with my poi chains as easy as pie.the second move is very wierd, but it helps you alot with poi control and is going to be very hard to explane. (your best bet is those 2 sticks from the move before, when your doing this for the first time)we can all do juggling (just crossing the poi at same time in front of you to make a large X)we can all do it back wards too...what about 1 forward and 1 reverse?lets use the left arm forward and the right arm backwards. (you can always change them if you like it the other way) REMEMBER! the poi will follow a giant "8" on its side but in oppisite directions so careful not to wack your self!have the poi at your sides spining in alternet directions. Now you want to cross them: the left(forward swing) (starts in top left corner of the sideways 8. when it starts moving it goes right and curve down at the last second before hitting the other poi then it will go right again then curve up, then turn left. it will dive down at the last second then left then up to where you startedthe right (reverse swing)(starts in bottom right corner of the sideways 8) it goes left, then curves up at the last second before hitting the other poi, then, curves left then down then right. Its next move curves up just missing the other poi then right. and finally down.as you can see this goes in a sideways figure 8 i made it sound like it is made out of right angles but when you trace this with the sticks first you can round out the corners to make it easier to follow just remember the ends of the sticks (and later poi will miss each other on the middle part of the sidways 8 by about 1 inch every time they pass there.enjoy![This message has been edited by Jeff Duncan (edited 03 January 2001).]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Jeff.....I have done that second move and it does look awesome but I found that timing has to be just right or else I really bopped myself.As for the Corkscrew/windmill...Yup, good move and not hard to learn though I really commend you on the stick idea. I had never heard nor thought of that. Also along those lines I bet if you feel comfortable trying it with the sticks you could even upgrade into a staff and then be able to do the moves with staff and with poi? Just and idea. Thanks for the moves. grin ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
jeffy no like staffi find it too restricting but i still play with it, even tho i suck tongue

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
or what about club spinning, jeff? i saw some guy in Byron Bay doing it, seemed pretty cool since you can do most poi moves, plus you can stop em at any time and switch directions, which means its REALLY well coordinated with the music. looked pretty cool to me, maybe you wanna check it out.....-heph

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
im gunna take clubs up as soon as i get some kevlar.www.incendium.orgsays how to make em

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
hey jeff that second move is what inspired me to learn my patented three beat butterfly weave.

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ooh. Old thread.....

Meh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
lol, i wasn't fooled this time. After i read

quote:
mmmmm ok here is another 2 tricks that im the only one out of every poi swinger i know that does them.
i checked the date. No one has the gall to claim a move for their own anymore. If they do, they get flamed to the ground lol.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Isn't that second move the butterfly switching from side to side? And if casper has patented the "three beat butterfly weave" do we all have to stop doing it?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
There is no patent on any move because in one time or another someone on this earth has done the move that you think you just made up. Combo or otherwise. I'd like to think i've invented some moves but seriously there are way too many spinners in the world, not to mention it only takes a measly couple of months of hard practice to get to an advanced technical level.

Debz@DNAmember
3 posts

Posted:
Not if you do acrobatics as well, or combine with marshal arts, I have seen so excellent swingers combining these diciplines, and it makes for some interesting style differences.

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
hey dom, i call it my patented move cause i'm the only person outtathe group that i started spinnin with and the group that i am spinnin with that does said move.

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Debz@DNA:
Not if you do acrobatics as well, or combine with marshal arts, I have seen so excellent swingers combining these diciplines, and it makes for some interesting style differences.
maybe, i'm sure whatever acrobatics you do there is a name for that type of flip or so that your doing.

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
You cannot get to a decent standard in 2 months, unless you have low standards.

I have some original moves but i am not telling you lot what they are, and they rock too! (not just to a poing audience either).

They're mine! ALL MINE HAHAHAHAHA!

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
i never got what was the first move about...
i can do the quadruple windmill and quadruple corskcrew now what i do?

as for the second its really easy... its like when i do the butterfly weave:p as far i see dunno...

Dance like if noone were watching you

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
man, i had bofe of dem moves yeahs ago! scurvy punks! i'll blast ye! ye WISH i'd tell yer more, yer hands arr swetin...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Jeff, there's certainly room for error on that move.

Just don't wear your best head when you're performing!

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

OXTOBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
Hey I do your second trick for about 3 months now!!!No offence smile.However i could use some help on your quadruple corkscrew and windmill

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
This thread is about 4 years old, doubt the original poster is still around. But anyway, quad windmills/corkscrews are just like the 5 beat weave (if you can do that one). Youre just adding one beat to each side.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cantus

Ooh. Old thread.....

ubblol

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts