Page:
HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
i think it was Pele that mentioned something about a trick of rolling on the ground while swinging the poi...i was trying to conceptualize a way to work that out for a while....so how do you do it? i was thinking of lying on my back and doing the butterfly, but need to work out how to get in and out of it....ideas? anyone done any ground work with the poi? shocked

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks Clark. Funnily enough I have been doing that. You can also go from your forehead to the ground with the poi btb and then straighten up, raise up on your knees, on the down swing move the poi into a bfly in front of you and bend back with the poi over you so the back of your head touches the ground. If you sit up a bit from here so you can push off with a knee or foot you can do a backwards summersault whilst spinning.Thanks again! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Dr. Spinmember
15 posts

Posted:
Sweet, I like that... like a flaming see-saw of death smileI think us ground workers need ot form a new sub-sect...The flaming poi-monkies?Fire-spinning break-dancers?Ground-dwelling fire-weasels?and my personal favorite:Ca-Poi-Era (the very acrobatic Brazilian martial/dance art)Enjoy smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
dudes smileI do a forward shoulder/hip roll (some incorectly call a forward roll a forward somersault) with my poi in the fwd 3 beat weave pattern...its not a problem - firstly you have to learn to roll without putting your hands on the ground...and over one shoulder to the opposite hip. I get mine technique from Martial Arts training..so yeah. no probs.on the circles of light vid there is a girl in Dangerboy's crew that does a somewhat bumpy forward roll out of a between the legs butterfly. a bit like a straddle roll with no hands...I'm sure she is doing it really smoothly now (if she kept up the practice).Josh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Josh,That straddle roll is I think the most common roll technique, because it is so basic. It is the one I started with and the first one I posted on here, but let me tell you....it helps loads to shorten the chains!ANyway....could you please explain this shoulder/hip roll thing a little better? As in where are the poi when you enter it and which side do you roll from and to? Does it have more of a push like a dive roll for momentum or is it a tuck and roll deal? Thanks, love the idea! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
hey guys and gals......sounds like pele's tearin' it up with the roles.....way to go....can't wait to see some video of it....anyway.....I have some footage of a front role like ol' boy was talking about .... www.flamingsphere.homestead.com click on top ten videos.....it is the first video in the John section.....pretty good footage....although not quite as technical as the stuff that pele and them are talking about.......hey HATS OFF TO ME i CAN DO THE BTB FOUNTAIN NOW WOOO HOOO (Rise up).......J.T.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ok forward breakfall style roll, with poi doing fwd 3 beat weave.watch a bruce lee or jackie chan movie, watch for a fwd roll that can be done with no hands.I have experience with gymnastics, and martial arts, so I'll try to explain the difference...In martial arts, you try to disperse as much of your momentum over the greatest surface area, while not whacking important parts of your body on the ground.in a gym style fwd roll, you roll down the spine from the back of your head to the base of your spine. In a martial arts style fwd, you roll from one shoulder to the opposite hip, and you try to put a minimum of force on your hands...cuz if you can keep your hands from being used to support your roll, you can keep them up to protect your head or carry your weapon through the roll. In this case, do a fwd 3-beat, as you are coming over to the left side, tuck down to the ground and push off with your left leg (this is the way I do this type of roll, perhaps others are more crossed up).If you are quick and good with your rolling technicque you should be able to be back on your feet in time to bring the poi back across to the right.I think this technicque would be even smoother if you used a 5-beat, but I'm still working on the 3-beat roll.You should be very comfortable with rolling with no hands before you attempt it with poi. on the wrong surface a bad misjudgement could really hurt you.PS - really short chains help for this...I've been getting used to winding and unwinding my poi around my hands while swinging, I find it a smooth and effective way to adjust for the different styles...short and long, with the one set of chains, in the same burn...there are many ways to do it, but I find the best for learning is just doing side circles bkwds, open your hands let the chains wrap when they get to a comfortably short length, close your hands and start short style twirling...be careful tho...over wind and the fire will be on your skin.Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 25 August 2001).]

Page: