Page:
HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
i think it was Pele that mentioned something about a trick of rolling on the ground while swinging the poi...i was trying to conceptualize a way to work that out for a while....so how do you do it? i was thinking of lying on my back and doing the butterfly, but need to work out how to get in and out of it....ideas? anyone done any ground work with the poi? shocked

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
hey hephaestos :)Have a look at the video shawn linked to in the 'plagiarism' thread......man that's an amazing move. I've been trying it but I'm nowhere near it yet...just flailing round like a moron ;) Don't know where you'd fit the other poi in, maybe turning above your body....can anyone do this?Also the groundmove I posted for staff would probably work with poi, if you do a corkscrew or something above you in the opposite direction to your turn. Hmmm, gotta try that some time. Thanks for the idea! xlet us know if you work something out,

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yeah Hephaestus, it was me who posted that.Okay...I have never evaluated how I can do it...I just do. I use short poi first of all and I am certain that makes a world of difference. I do a weave and drop onto my knees then I lower my body backwards (keeping my hips straight and stiff so that my body is all in lined up along an angled plane), yes at that point my feet are just about touching my hips but I am laying back on the ground. I do a butterfly above my chest while I straighten out my legs. Then I swing the poi on their respective sides of my body, this is where I raise my legs up and balance a bit on my shoulders, sliding my arms around to the back of my body and do the butterfly behind me. I lower my knees so that they are near my shoulders, the poi still behind my back. From there I go into a kneeling position, moving the poi around to the front of my body and do the weave to stand. I sometimes also go from the kneel into a dance move where you are constantly turning your body, always having one knee on the ground, then move the poi to my sides, tuck my head down to my chin and roll forward...keeping my arms, and consequently my poi, swinging at my sides and then stand from there.Another cool but very hard thing (at least for me) is to do a log roll with the poi.Lay on your stomach..elbows in front of you, head tucked down, poi swinging over your head. Roll slowly onto your side by rolling onto your shoulder, moving your hands as little as possible, so then you are facing the poi from on your back. Continue the rolling motion until you are again on your stomach and the poi haven't stopped swinging over your head.The other one, and timing is crucial for this one, is to stand with your legs a fair distance apart, swing your poi between your legs so that you are bent over and the poi are spinning between your bum and your knees. Bend forward as far as you can and fall gently into the roll, when your legs are above your head, pull the poi back out so that they are spinning above your chest and your legs are flat to the ground and once again you find yourself on your back.(Hmmmmm....there's alot of being on the back here...what does that say about me? blush)Once you get good and you can string these together it makes a pretty kick butt floor routine. Yes, you have to be limber and flexible but it is worth it.If I didn't make sense (which is fairly usual wink) let me know. I will pay more attention to how I do things and see if I can clear them up. If and when I ever get a vid camera I'll send a tape so you can see it.Happy New Year!!!!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
wow...Pele - judging from the moves you described so far you must be amazing with Poi...boy i'd love to see you swing!!! i think you should try and make a video and send it to Malcolm, either a single, longer video of you swinging or maybe something shorter like Xaeda's staff videos (i am not into staff but i think they are really cool Xaeda - well done, maybe you can send some Poi videos too smile )... Pele you seem to have so many different moves than the ones described in the lessons in this site, i really think that you should try and make the video e.g. there's nothing on ground work on the site yet... oh if you can't make any videos can you please post some pics???? i think i haven't seen you swing yet! pleeeeeease winkhappy swinging,Simos

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah!! i definately agree pele needs to post some photos or videos! it's always sweet to see someone on film with whom you've been conversing with for so long... it was really great to attach a face and a body to xaeda.... makes it all somehow more real... cheese cheese, i know... it's getting close to the new year, and i've already started the alcoholic fest.... so yeah. laterskaters.flavio

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
for all those without much acrobatic ability, the traditional butterfly is amazingly easy to do while lying on your back if you keep the speed up...and friends tell me it looks pretty damn cool because the flames are shooting right over your face...adds to the whole danger element. im still working on some of Pele's ideas, but for now i have to be content with just doing a butterfly, moving it over my head, then kneeling, lying on my back for a minute, then coming back up...-Heph

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
damn! and there i thought i had something unique to me.this is what i got so far, but i AM gonna make short poi, ASAP.start with butterfly, slowly change the plane until looking directly up at a (fast) butterfly.pretend that it is 'drilling' you down into the ground, by keeping the speed up and collapsing onto knees and then down to back.the audience sees a very fast dangerous looking wheel of fire right down on top of an apparently helpless performer on their back. let the tension build - do the odd giant butterfly while still in this position.then get the speed up again while you heroically start to push up again, first into a kneeling position and eventually to stand. nothing nearly as dramatic as pele, but hey, i'm a year or two behind. finish it by coming back to a forward butterfly. I really like this one coz the first time i tried it for an audience was also the first time i actually heard people cheering for me :Ogo ahead and use it, but make sure your knees are nice and warm.o-o

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
time i joined in on this one with a secret of mine (dont know if it was already mentioned but i doubt it)use thread the neddle it looks way way better for when your "sinking to the ground"because the poi look much more like a drill thing in a horizontal plane (hope this helps ya kiddies.... i do it all the time in a proformance) smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I can see where that would work, Jeff, if I were using my chest area to lead me down.Thanks for the suggestion but the more circular motions work for the way I explained to lay...I would have to do thread the needle directly above me in order for it to look right and while I have tried that I haven't found a way to get it to work...the momentum in the verticl plane just isn't there for that one.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
is there a graceful, or cool, way to go from standing to lying on your back(with no hands obviously, since you need them to swing.) and then back up? i find myself looking kind of clumsy when i go from kneeling to lying, since i have to shoot my legs out to the side to get my butt under me....anyone have any ideas? the forward roll is just about out of the question, i've tried it three times with successively more painful results. any help would be appreciated...heph

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Heph...this depends on how limber you are..... then again, don't most of my moves ? rolleyes Sorry! smileAt any rate..lower yourself to your knees.Keeping your body *****very***** stiff lay back...your body from your knees to your head should form a straight plane.... O \_ <- your bodyyour legs -> _\Keep your knees shoulder width apart. This gives you more balance and room for you to lower your body in this stiff manner between them...at this point your heels should be near your hips. Flatten out your feet and slide them along the floor to lay in front of you without shifting your body...do the weave or butterfly over your torso and people will be concentrating on that, not your legs. When you sit up sit in half lotus(or as we American's call it Indian Style) and do the butterfly behind your head, mexican wave and such things. Shift your body side ways and up and this will automatically un-lotus your legs with minimal movement of the bottom leg and put you up on bended kneesFrom here you can simply get up...either by doing some more moves or slowly getting up from on two knees to one knee then to standing and at each interval switching tricks.None of this is done quickly. The movements should be slow and fluid and constrast the swift spinning of the poi. This isn't hard, it is graceful and very nice to watch (so I am told). I find if you try to do this at first with poi, you will brain yourself. I also find the faster I try to get up the clunkier I look.As for roling, I am sorry it isn't working. Try the side "Log" roll as I find that involves the least amount of flexibility but is still wonderful to watch and is easy to get into from the on the back butterfly...obviously.Best of luck...as always if you need clarification let me know. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
Pele(and others) ,thanx for your continually creative ideas. Pele: i don't think i fully understand the move you were describing...i'm with you as to how to get down to your knees, leaning back(its a great quad stretch, by the way!) with your feet out to the sides. but then you say, "at this point your heels should be near your hips. Flatten out your feet and slide them along the floor to lay in front of you without shifting your body." usually at this point my feet are flat on the ground, the tops of my feet flat, facing down, so my heels and soles are facing up. are you putting your butt between your feet, or on top of them? and where are you sliding your feet to? outside your body? under it? it seems impossible, even for a super flexible yoga chick. please try to explain more, drill it into my retarded head. okay. one more question for you: you said to try the "side log roll". it seems like if you were sitting on your knees(like we were saying before), you might be able to do a quick roll and land on your back, hopefully butterflying. maybe vice-versa, too, back up to your knees. is that what you mean? let me know whenever you get a chance. cheers!-Heph, off to roll around his apartment room floor.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Heph....herm...yup,yer feet are turned upside down...heels up by the hips...I agree it's a fabulous quad stretch. I put my butt between my legs and what I do is (wait let me go do it to make sure I am describing it right) Okay...back....I slide my right leg out a little to the right and slide it so it's straight. Same with the left, with a bit of practice it gets smooth and graceful. At first I think I rolled a bit on my sides to make it but I don't let my butt leave the ground now.As for the "log roll"...what did you mean by "a quick roll on your back and land on your knees?" Now it's my turn to play the part of dunce grin. Could you please elaborate?By log roll I literally mean rolling from say starting on your back...roll onto your right side, then your stomach then your left and again onto your back. I try to keep my poi centered behind my head at all times so that they don't get tangled or hit me or the floor. I started by practicing the roll with m y hands in position without the poi and once I became fluid with that then I moved on to adding poi. It takes a bit of flexibility, yes but the end result is worth it. I hope I amswered your questions, it is so hard to visualize from the writtenmedium. Please feel free to keep pestering me to break it down more if need be.Happy rolling! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
Pele,okay. my idea for the "not-so-much-of-a-log-roll" (which i haven't tried yet, but you might be able to make it happen): get into that position we were talking about, kneeling, quad stretching, yada-yada. with me? lets say you're butterflying in front of you, at a bit of an angle. than, as you turn your body to the right, you flip your butterfly over to that side(therefore doing it backwards now). you'd probably only be able to spin it once back there, if you're rolling as fast as im thinking you'd need to. continuing your turn to the right, you lean back and finish lying on your back, probably butterflying over you in the normal direction. presto! you just went from kneeling to lying, by doing a quick roll! make sense? conceptually i think it works, i think its just a matter of making it happen. as for your log roll, im assuming during this you are doing the butterfly, yes? so, do you roll quickly from back to stomach so you're then butterflying behind your head, or do you do it slowly, and do likea side butterfly over your left side as you're laying on your right side? it sounds pretty hypnotic, really. i wish i could see ya do it. let me know. -heph

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Heph,Herm..yours sounds like at full speed it's more like a flip but I can see how it would work as a roll...and I think visually I can give a whirl. Thanks for the idea and if I get it I'll let you know..I think it'd be cool to do and then kip back up to a standing position. Hmmm....now if only I could do a kip. winkYes, I do the butterfly in the log roll and I do the log roll fairly slowly. I start over my left shoulder and roll towards my right..not really moving the poi much but more my body in relation to them..they always stay over my head, so that when I roll on my left it is over my right cheek, on my stomach over the back of my head, on my right it's over my left cheek and then back to over my face. I am told it is really interesting to watch me go slowly...it's also a great way to enter into flame to body transfers.I am also trying to think of a way to actually do a floor yoga routine with fire poi, only speeding it up a little...it's almost what I do for my transfer routine. I think it would be really cool, except yoga uses your hands alot and I have to get around that element!!!!So, when your done practicing don't you hate having to pick the carpet lint from you hair??? grinHave you read the thread of the corss relay thing? Maybe we could try to hook up and roll around together smile *g*.Take care and keep me posted on how you're doing!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
a bigger problem than lint in my hair is when my roommate's girlfriend walks in the door and sees me rolling on the floor in a room by myself. try explaining that! "um, well, you see, um, i was trying to figure out this move, and um..."-looking forward to floor-based "routines" with Pele in the future...haha tongue

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
My housemates are getting really accustomed to it. (I live with three guys...*only* friends thank you! wink)However, when they bring thier dates over, or friends when I am practicing it is funny. Not to mention the neighbors when we practice outdoors. We recently had a fmaily move into the house next door. The father came home from work, watched us, went inside, came back outside and asked "What the...." Never finishing the sentence as we released a two joining fire balls. I told him we were carnival freaks, and he muttered something about being interested in fire as much as the next guy but ..... then he disappeared. I don't explain, I joke.If I were you I would've quipped that I was trying some new moves for a co-ed wrestling team I was planning on joining. What the hell...you only live once!Heph, were you planning on being part of the relay? Maybe I could meet up with you.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
Yeah, every time it warms up a little im out in my parking lot, jacking up my car's stereo and spinning all over the place with my comet poi. The postal lady won't even make eye-contact with me, unless i'm shirtless. haha. I'm definitely interested in getting in on the relay, seeing as i've yet to spin with ANYBODY since i've learned to poi. I've pretty much just taught myself(mostly from this site), and my attempts to meet up and spin with others haven't come thru yet. no worries, though. so yeah, it'd be cool to meet up with you, are you ever in the Chicagoland region though? i already made my yearly trip out east this year, for New Years Eve. And i'm hoping to fund two more trips, one to New Orleans this weekend for Mardi Gras, and a backpacking trip this summer to South America. so i'd rather avoid heading back out east, unless its free(and we know THAT happens). Anyway, let me know what your general travel ideas are. I go to school down in Missouri, so if the cross-continental poi made it to Chicago, i could bring em "down south" and continue the train west. let me know what you think.-heph

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That'd be cool...I think we're planning a trip to Chicago for a Comicon out there (they hire performers and two of my friends are comic writers/artists so it's a group thing). I am not sure when it is but I will let you know when I figure it out. Back packing S.A.? Hmmm...never thought of taking that approach to down there. My college Biology Classes went to Brasil for a rain forrest excursion and I have a friend from there as well, but with all the political unease in so many of the countries it is a frightful prospect for a girl. I think it is awesome that yer going! smileHopefully we'll be able to hook up afore then, if not after and you can tell me about yer adventures while we spin! I think it'd be cool for ya to carry the poi out west, though I think the furthest west (and south for that matter) was Adam in Texas who is going to get the poi spinning!Have fun at Mardi Gras...look out for the golden coconuts from the Zulu Tribe float..I got hit inthe head with one when I was there...luckily there were alot of volunteers to slobber in my hair as they attempted to drunkenly kiss it and make it better rolleyes.How's the floor work coming? Are you flopping smoothly around the floor yet, making good friend with the dust bunnies? wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
i made up a few ground moves last nightshort poi with glowsticks help.try doing a log roll with your poi goingon stomache then backvery tricky

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Jeff,I have posted the log rolling thing in a couple places here, check out my first post in this thread, third one down...and there are definately tricks to accomplishing it. I like keeping my poi as much over my head as possible for it...makes it smoother. I use short fire poi though..and it does works, though I imagine glowsticks are less painful.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 05 March 2001).]

Pele

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hey there PeleIm sorry But I had to bring this page back into the site! It is amazing!!! I have printed this page out and will try tonight. I have tried to do the front roll before, but i think that may be the hardest one to do. the others sound alot easyer, in that extreemly hard sort of way. I will give it a shot though. I need a better floor rutein, and this is it! SkiChristian PS Thank you for e-mailing me to tell me where this was, I think this needs to come back out of the wearhouse files, so people can try it.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
SkiChristian,When doing the forward roll it helps to wrap your chain around your fingers a couple times before you put them through your legs..I usually do a cross over to do this then go into the roll stance. Once you are on your back you can release them and it gives a nice extending effect.In addition to rolling for ground work you can do alot of knee drops and spins, or, herm, how do I explain this one? kind of like push up position, supporting yourself on one arm, other arm extended above you doing one handed poi, from this I do one of two things....swing my legs around into a split and then into a basic forward roll or down onto the stomach, passing poi so that they are in each respective hands into a log roll and back up.Just so you have an idea of what is possible....just let your body lead you...as zen as it sounds. That and watch music videos, I get alot of ideas from them.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
WOW PELE!I can do the wrap around the hand and get it under my legs spinning, but as soon as I try to roll I land on my head and don't know where to go with the pois. do I do a split in the air so thy don't hit my legs at I roll. I Suggest Floor mats (thick ones) smile I don't quite know where you are going with the rest of the moves but they sound cool as hell! and once I get my rols down I will move on to the next level.Thanks skichristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Nice just reading over this I thought up acouple of varitions for this. Insteed of thinking of it as a move try and think of it as a style. See what moves you can work into it while your on your back. I think when you do it you go and touch your back to the ground. I tried this once and didn't pull my legs to the sides. so I ended up leaning so far back my knees came off the ground, lost my balace and cought myself with the top of my head so I was arched back. I was just thinking over it as I read this thread and I think anymove can be done from the arch. You could even do behind the back moves with enough practice. I couldn't think of anyway to get out of it so I had to stop spinning so if anyone figures someway to get up lemme know :P Also pele a quick one for you dunno if you've thought of it but how would it look if you dropped to your knees with a butterfly then switched and had a buzzsaw push you down. You could even add that stripper move and roll your back and arms like a wave on your knees and leaning back. shocked Have you tried that sprial I was telling you about. I meet up with some ravers over the weekend doing it how I was trying. Keeping thier hands steady in one spot and moveing a buzzsaw around left middle right middle right middle left whatever they felt like it looked soooooooo NICE. They had like 4in strings and I have yet to get it with my longer ones.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
To avoid hitting your head when in the "arch" knagi, put the top of it on the ground, it also adds more fluidity to the arch. In otherwords, you do the lay back over your legs, tip your head back as far as you can until the top touches the ground, this is part of your balancing point. And yes, knagi, thanks for the buzzsaw suggestion...I do use it already that way. I also you the buzzsaw to "push" me when I do a back bend.What spiral were you talking about? FOrgive my absent mindedness please. blushAs as for the buzzsaw left and right...add into a weave...for example...three beat weave on right to buzzsaw right to center bs to left bs to three beat weave on left. I am still in practice mode on this one but I think it will look sharp when I gt it. Thanks for the ideas..keep 'em rollin in! (aha..get it? Rollin? rolleyes )------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 15 August 2001).]

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Wot's a buzzsaw, guys? Can do many tricks, but not heard of this yet

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
A buzzsaw is when you bring the chains inside and hold it. To put it in simpler terms, "If you don't lean your head back far enough you get two flaming poi nailing you square in the chin." :P Looked kinda cool having the embers come flying off my face.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Dr. Spinmember
15 posts

Posted:
I've been scanning this thread and haven't seen this one yet... I may have missed it... I do this one with full length poi (arm pit length)... I start with a reverse butterfly in front of my body, transition it to a low reverse behind my back. I then start to bend forward at the waist and drop to one knee, so I'm doing a tight reverse BTB BF parallel to the ground. When i feel the poi swinging up over my head, I go for it. I end up back on my feet doing a forward over the head BF still parallel to the ground. this is easy enough to bend down into a regular forward BF in front. I can then do a 180 into a reverse BF on the other side and start the whole sequence over again.The timing on the forward roll was the trickiest part to get... like everything with poi, it just sort of "clicked" one day and became very repeatable.Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for sharing their groundwork, keep it coming... the only rush bigger than swinging flaming wicks around your body is doing it while your performing acrobatics smileClark

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Clark, i think I missed something in your description. I had it i followed it and no problems...can do with knee spins all the way through. Then you said you had it when the roll clicked. Where's the roll? Can you please clarify this sequence for us a bit, if you don't mind! confused Thank you!!!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Dr. Spinmember
15 posts

Posted:
Pele,Sorry about that, it's so hard to get this stuff into words... maybe stick figures smileAnyway, when I am down on one knee , I am bent over so the BTB reverse BF is parallel to the ground. It's a cool move by itself since it looks like you're trapped to the ground by the fire.Anyway, one day I decided to try a forward roll "through" the pattern, so as the poi swing over my head, I just do a forward roll. The roll has to happen while the poi are swinging out and to the side, by the time they come together again, you have to be upright and you end up doing an overhead forward BF. It helps to practice forward rolls without using your hands (kind of a shoulder roll). The funny thing is, the first time I tried it I screwed up the BF _after_ the roll smileI hope that helps... it's a total rush when I nail it, especially with fire, and whoever's watching usually loses their minds. I definitely put in the category of not particularly technically dificult (at least the poi part) but spectacular. Like the way people seem to love a really fast three-beat but don't really even notice the difference in a five-beat smileClark

Page: