Page:
KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey fellow fire people, and twirlers alike.As an opinion of an experienced fire twirler, I feel that if you glowiestried fire you wouldn'tgo back. But that's what I get out of this ancient art. I don't expectothers too.Being and avid twirler in general. I twirl a lot. I also twirl glowsticksand normal/uv poi. But I have to admit, it's the fire poi that I like themost and get the most out off. I find the heat from the flames, thebrightness of the gentle orange light wonderful. And the sound, Oh the_sound_ that amazing 'whooosh' that you get as you begin to twirl. Theelement of fear and that slight adrenaline rush you get, when you are doingyour moves. Knowing full well that if you screw any of those moves up,you're possibly in for a burn. Then there's the incredible feeling you get,when you have practised and practised a move without you poi on fire, thenyou finally decide to light up. After warming up, you think ok I am goingto go for it, then when you get that really hard move on fire, you are sowonderfully happy, you get the biggest rush. Then as time wears on, yourflams die and you're out. After taking 5 for a rest you are off again.Gripped in that trance state that fire twirling puts you in. This is justthe tip of the iceberg to what I get out of fire twirling.However, I think what I find, and maybe other firetwirlers do too I am notsure, is when glowstickers post on list how good they are and how manywraps they can do etc. I sit there and think well yeah, that's pretty cool.But I bet you, glow-hot-shot you are not prepared to do that trick on fire.However, don't get me wrong here, I'm not anti-glowsticks. In somesituations I think they are highly appropriate, ie rain, and indoorparties' etc. But the feeling I get from glowsticking is nothing to that offire.Maybe it's a fire snob/elitist attitude. Where I figure if you can't doyour Tricks on fire, don't' bother doing them and especially don't botherbragging how good you are at doing them, till you have tried doing it onfire. I think there are a lot of talented glowstickers out there, and Iwould love to see them do it on fire. If not for their own thrill of usingfire, but for their audiences too as well. They will get to awe inamazement at these tricks you guys are pulling off.I have a question to all you glowers out there are you/ have you tried fireor are you interested in fire twirling at all?And I guess I would like to ask those fellow fire people out there, howthey feel towards this, whether they feel similar to what I do, or if theyhave a different opinion.Thanks for reading my ranting.I look forward to some constructive replies.Love and Light.Katinca

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
It's so great to see that the fire twirlers are out in full force on this one. There's almost a war going on about who is better. The truth is, I could give a damn about who's better, I like to watch them glowing or on fire. I'm not in awwwwww, of fire, but would like to spin fire for the experience. When I get some money, I will buy some fire poi and even send in a video of my first time lighting up. I want to either shut up, or shut you up about how it takes so much more talent to spin fire. I'll just wear me some pant, and get one of them dere long sleved shirts and try me some wraps, heuck. I don't like how this whole thing has turned into a big battle of the strings. Lets just say for a second that fire was better then glowsticks, does it really change anything? Is anyone going to stop spinning what they spin cause the majority thinks its below them. I highly doubt it, so fine, Fire's better. do you feel better now? If you want to argue about it more then just E-mail me personally, you can find my address on "meet people" and voice your opinion to me all you want. I'll even respond to you the same day.EricLove ya

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Fire is better than glowsticks. I used to like glowsticks better but then people told me that I was wrong. winkIn all honesty I think that they are so different both in body and in spirit. [What?] That is... fire is alive, ancient, perpetually moving and kinetic. Glowsticks are modern chemical technology toys. [Oh..]There are things that you can do with one that you can't do with the other. If that particular thing intrests you then your mind is made up. Apples and oranges I say. See but STAFF twirling, that's just stupid. [JOKE!]Always happy to revisit a topic... wink(5 beat weave with sparkly poi while on E 4 life!)

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to make an apology to all the twirlers, glowstix and fire, I get angry when I see glowstix being bashed, or when I think glowstix are being bashed. I'm just going to put my foot in my mouth on the rest of this subject. I've been scarcastic in a lot of my posts about this and I just wanted to apologize for it. Happy twirling everyone. Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
They are apples and oranges.Its different, but the same. I know when i light up for the first time, i am going to love it, but im just a pyro at heart. But im not going to stop with the sticks. The sticks are applicablr to any environment. I can crack some sticks, and walk out of my hotel room and spin on the street while on vacation with no worries of breaking any ordanances or just plain freaking people out. When i want to get spiritual, and make an event out of my spinning, ill light them on fire.I am into the comlexity of the movements, and how they flow, regardless if they are on fire or not. Anyone that prefers fire does so because of a lifestyle (for the most part) They are usually, performers, spiritually in touch with their inner whatever. Which is cool. I want to experience it as well. Some people play a sport, some draw (me), some ball room dance, some huntsome people collect stamps. Ita all about what you do to keep your life from being a monotamous hell. Or you just want to burn something..i can so dig that.Super'opinions and buttholes...------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I have been reading these posts for a while but never have made one myself. I spin stix and I am in the process of making the transition to fire. I have my "practice" poi set up so i can get use to spinning something heavier than glowstix. The only problem is that I don't know of too many places I can go to practice or spin when I actually want to "light the torches". I agree that it does feel a lot different than spinning stix. I just hope that I can find the oppurtunity to spin fire often enough that it becomes almost second nature. By the way for any of you in SoCal, there is a huge party at San Onofre Beach this saturday. There will be all sorts of spinning and other activities going on (alot of great DJ's as well). Hope to meet some of you. You all have many interesting points of view.PEACE...Dank

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Josh? I guess you havent read this one yet!As for myself, I made the transition to fire, and I am enraptured by it. I will share this experience though. After getting completely worn out by my fire toys, I was chilling out some, and I was watching some other people spin sticks, and was enthralled by that too. At that moment, I wanted to spin sticks more than fire. The vibe was with sticks. Im not bashing fire or sticks, all Im saying is that Im a creature of vibe and rythym, and if the energy says spin sticks, thats what I do. Likewise with fire. Each have their own spirituality. I agree that the composition of glowsticks, being that they come from our somewhat backwards society of the now, leaves much to be desired. Reality is what we make of it. I feel that when I spin fire, I am taken back in time, to an ancient pagan(my definition) era, completely in my mind. As for glowsticks, when I saw the people spinning them, I picked up my own vision, not what the plane they were in, but the possibility of what vision I could attain which was... Anyone ever read the Celestine Prophecy? Well, if our human culture ever does perhaps achieve a higher state of conciousness on the global level, if our energy level as an entire race ever gets that high, well that is where I was at with my stick vision. The opposite of primal fire, yet the same. The same rythym. Now Im just waiting to find a design feature of sticks that I like, cause to be honest, I dont like dancing with them (that is, string dancing lest anyone think I meant liquid rave dancing) becuase they are much too light. Take care everyone wink smile winkP.S. ~ As for comets and streamer poi, I dig those just as much, if not more than glowsticks, because at least I like how they rip through the air. Again, there is a time and place for everything, and in my opinion, this is a poi site, so maybe we should define poi?------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

SilverOnymember
9 posts

Posted:
Its fire that got me interested in twirling for sure! As I've come to use it though I've found that there are a lot of hoops to jump here in Canada to perform it... Dang fire marshals. Glowsticks are just the easy alternative. I can spin faster with the glow though, you know. I find people like the fire more, its the primative side of us. Heh!

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I am definitely fire. I love to spin fire and watch others do it. Nothing beats the energy and the sound of fire.I really enjoy watching good glowsticks spinners too. However, I get bored fairly quickly when I spin them myself, whereas I could go on for hours with fire.To me it's just 2 different things. Glowsticks are convenient. I associate them a lot with the rave scene. I think they only look good if spun fast because that's the only way you can see a trail and cool circles. I am a pretty mellow fire spinner, which is why I don't enjoy spinning glowsticks that much, I just feel like I'm going to slow and that it doesn't look that good.Everytime a group of us get together at night to spin here, we start by cracking some glowsticks and play around with them for a little while (it's also a good way for newbies to spin at night). But we all wait eagerly for the first person to light up.I've seen some people do crazy wraps with glowsticks on strings, which is really cool on a technical side. However, I have yet to see a glowstick spinner be as graceful as a fire spinner.I agree with Katinca when she says that some glowstickers brag about how good they are. The "pure" glowstickers that I have met so far were like that and really thought they were the shit, which really annoyed me. On the other hand, the vast majority of fire spinners that I met were very humble. (Disclaimer: Please nobody take offense for this, I don't mean to generalize, I'm not attacking anyone on this site, I'd be happy to spin fire/sticks with anyone here and would certainly not assume you're a dick because you spin glowsticks, it's just a statement on my encounters with people so far, OK?).Peace to all.Nomad

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
It's funny. I was never aware that anyone treated glowsticks as anything other than a substitute for fire until I started hanging out on this board. What I've learned is that those who twirl glowsticks *as glowsticks* (rather than as a fire substitute) have a different style, different approach, whatever. I've since seen people who just do glowsticks as glowsticks, and I feel what they are doing is similar to fire-poi, but not the same. For whatever reason, I've never gotten into that. When I use glowsticks (which is pretty seldom), they're as a fire-substitute--I've got my dummy wicks on the chains as ballast, I'm doing the same moves in the same style as when I'm using fire.Fire is what got me interested, and to me, if it doesn't involve fire, it--how can I say this?--it doesn't count. Fire is what it's about for me, everything else is goofing off. As a friend who recently made the transition from glowsticks to fire put it "suddenly glow seems so...trite."

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I HAVE IT!!!!!!!Just light the glowsticks on fire...best of both. grin Something Nomad said...
quote:
I have yet to see a glowstick spinner be as graceful as a fire spinner.
I think that is a fair asumption. I think anyone that uses glowsticks are very agressive. I myself am very agressive and sort of put myself in the mindset of assault on the movement. Ill bombard you with moves, turning and comboing quickly...I think it has alot to do with the music.. I learned from Ravers, i honed my skill to rave music, and at raves. I use the music as a pattern and stay with the beats.After watching vidoes of people spinning fire, i can see the difference. I can see the velocity difference as well. I am currently trying to become a little more graceful, which i feel is comig along nicely. I also think because the GS's are lighter you cant helkp but spin the shit outta them. When i spin my practice POI i automatically get into a different groove. I think for me it will be a mood issue. I think both have their advantages. I right now am partial to the sticks because i havent done fire. But im sure ill have a love for the flame when i do spark. I do know that anything i learn with the heavier practice POI, immediately transfer over to my sticks so that i stay even. I want to make sure i can do everyhting with both.question....anyone ever have the cohones to spin mace balls?? ya know, with the spiked balls on the end? Just wondering..Have a good weekend peeps. Im going home to give the wife a pickle tickle, go to the movies, then go home and spin..Super' grin grin grin [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">------------------[/image]"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Thanks Superman. smile

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
I spin poi because I love to manipulate objects and I love to watch objects being manipulated by other people. Fire is nice and everything, but I just don't understand this obsession that people have with it. I mean, is it the poi that you really like, or just the fire? How can your adrenalin go berserko every time you light up? Unless you have a severe case of pyrophobia, I would think that you would get used to it after a few times. Most of the time I just use tennis balls (or LEDs if it's too dark), but I've found that most anything I can do with them transfers easily to fire poi, but perhaps my view is skewed since I've been juggling fire long before I've ever spun fire and juggling fire is definitely a lot harder than juggling without fire primarily due to the low visibility and the inability to fudge by catching the wrong end. The only reason why I do fire is to entertain other people. I mean, everybody loves fire for some reason. Hell, one of my friends even got laid from juggling fire! Most of the time when I juggle, or spin, I'm just doing it to entertain myself. That's what I love most. It wouldn't make any sense for me to use fire for that. I'm all cool with people loving their fire, I just don't understand it.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think its a matter of opinion, although - when asked, most ppl who have really given both styles a go, would prefer to spin fire than glow (just judging by the responses on this topic - although not all that representative its the best we have). Why is that? Why is it that I've never once seen a post from someone who was a fire twirler about losing their glow virginity? I've had fun with glowsticks, especially from the speed aspect (I just cant keep my poi alight when I really work em).Fire however is warmer. I like warm. I like the feeling you get when you are going slow really close to your body and the fire feels like its hugging you...or carressing you winkeh - I recently went off fire - I was proceeding down the meditation / kenetics path - but then I watched the video, and it all came flooding back.I think most open minded spinners when given the choice would spin fire. I'm likely to be wrong! smileJosh

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
I don?t think that open mindedness has anything to do with this. It?s merely a matter of differing motivations. There are the people that start spinning because they think to themselves, ?Oh cool, fire! I want to spin fire!? and there are people that start spinning because think, ?That is awesome object manipulation! I want to learn that!?Although I do enjoy spinning fire, it has absolutely nothing to do with my motivation for spinning, and let?s face it, fire is a hassle. Maybe I?m wrong, but I think most people that spin a lot would prefer to spin non-fire most of the time and only spin fire a small percentage of the time.

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
i love fire so much. it feels so tribal and earthy. i have twirled glowsticks, like a week ago and they are just not the same, they were only a substitute for fire. i light up as often as i can, every few days.fire is never a hassle.

Tikimember
44 posts

Posted:
When I first lit up with fire poi for the first time, I was almost certain I'd never care to go back to glowsticks or the like again. After a while though, I really began to miss the feel of glowsticks. It's a completely different mindset to spinning fire. There are so many things people use to try and compare or contrast each in favor of the one they choose. What I've come to think is that they are very different while being the same overall techniques and background. To hear that fire is so much more graceful is a bit odd, glowsticks are graceful in the hands of someone who has great technique and a flow that comes from their heart or emotions or whatever deep place it is that puts the life into an artists touch. In my time reading here there are peoples opinions whom I've come to respect and enjoy reading. One such person, Nomad, brought up that he bores quickly when spinning glowsticks, and that to be visually appealling they must be spun fast. With glowsticks you can adopt a different style than fire. The best way I can think of to explain the subtle but huge difference between glowsticks, fire, streamers, or straight bag, is to imagine that dancing poi is akin to constructing a painting. Glowsticks and fire are just two different paintbrushes. They can't be compared or contrasted looking for a better since each is just as much the same as it is completely opposite. I don't paint the same image with my fire that I do with my glowsticks, as much as with two different brushes I would adopt completely different strokes. I don't spin for who's watching me, I spin because it is a personal dance that satisfies spiritually physically, and visually. I don't like to see people who know nothing but speed with glowsticks just as much as I don't enjoy seeing someone spin fire that can't go out in force. I suppose what I've been trying to get at through this whole tirade is that though each is so very different, they are both part of the same whole. For us to sit and extole the virtues of one or another in attempt to find a better is almost silly. Beyond personal preference, there isn't a better between the two. Blow the torch, swallow the flame, Tiki.

1. CAUTION: Knife is very sharp. Keep out of children
2. A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
3. Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I wasn't going to reply to this. Everyone here I think knows my opinion on fire, and Bassman, I am a fire performer, not a poi spinner. But I come at this from a different perspective than most. I started spinning to perform them on fire. For me it was never play and it was never a question of stix, comets, whatever. I have described several times why I like fire...so I'll not bore you with it again.Josh, losing my glowstick virginity...it was actually about three months ago. I had seen them at the ECSP for the first time live, that was April, and was relatively unimpressed. I stopped, glanced and shrugged it off as nothing I thought looked impressive. Then the following month at our meet in NH I saw Nomad spin them. Now, I have to explain that was a very ethereal weekend anyway but he was spinning them, and Nomad, you were spinning them gracefully. Anyway, I sat there and watched these green sticks paint streaks against the sky and thought how pretty it really was. Consequently I tried them, I think we all did. They were nice, much easier to swing than fire since they were lighter and it takes a different style and time to get accustomed to that weight change. Since I have spun them maybe two or three times nd am not really into them, but when I perform at night time private parties I bring them to allow people to try to spin. It goes over very well because they are light and because they light up without the perceived danger of fire. I also want to say that in NH I attached the glowsticks to the handles of my poi and lit the poi on fire. My understanding was the dichotomy was really interesting to look at, so if you want the best for both worlds then you might want give it a go. I'll have to have Whipping Boy take some photo's of it.So there you have it...Regards to all------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Shadowblademember
57 posts

Posted:
I like glowsticks co's when your in a club and it gets to busy you can dance with the glow sticks in hand.HOWEVER................ there is nothing like the sound of fire whoosing over your head.I would concider myself a liquid ninja but fire is great aswell.Lets not start a fude on the topic though!

Tikimember
44 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pele:I also want to say that in NH I attached the glowsticks to the handles of my poi and lit the poi on fire.
A couple of my friends who began their spinning at raves only spin with glowstick handles. We've attached glowsticks in a couple of different ways to the poi, but they have a nasty habit of breaking and sending a ball of fire flying into the air. I've been thinking of a way to still have glowing handles while still doing fire. I can't really think of any more secure way to attach them since the only place to attach them is made of such soft plastic. Anyone have any ideas?

1. CAUTION: Knife is very sharp. Keep out of children
2. A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
3. Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Tiki, I used 20 gauge craft wire to attach the sticks to the top loop on my chain that I also attach my handles to. You can also use the c-screws to attach them, which is how I attach them to the bottom of my chain when I spin them.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think that uv's are better for practice an fire better for performing. Other people will probobly have a different opinion but hey who cares!!------------------Kymic, Keep smiling :)

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I think its all preference like I said somewhere before.. of course I prefer fire - I grew up with lots of bushfires as a kid and nothing gives me more of an adrenalin rush (cept skydiving..)..I disagree when I think Superman? said something about fire twirlers being more 'in touch'. Sure some ppl are - but I believe it makes other ppl worse. I would have agreed with Sup though, before I started getting to know the few twirlers I did a few years back and nothing could be further from the truth. These people used fire as a tool to put other ppl down and see themselves as 'better' than other people (perhaps even the humble glowsticker?) .. I guess fire works in different ways to different ppl. I have met the loveliest twirlers and also the most repungent ppl through twirling. It has certainly contributed to spiritual growth for me - escaping with trance and firey spinnings is 10 times more effective (no comedown!) than any drug I've ever taken. All in all it's taught me a lot. I consider it 'great' when a twirler is willing to talk to me and smile (some ppl seem to forget how?) even if they don't know that I twirl... even if they don't wanna ask about a trick... whatever. It's funny how two ppl walk past eachother and often do not say a thing and then when two dogs walk past eachother they can't get to eachother's butts fast enough for a sniff. Not suggesting humans take after dogs in this EXACT way but you get my drift..enough ranting.. wink

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Just wanted to echo a point Shibaki made about ribbon/streamer poi (this being a poi site an all wink ). The way they rip through the air is amazing, and reminds me of fire, far more than glowsticks ever could. And I'm enjoying playing with them inside at the moment, far more than glowsticks.Just wondered what perspectives people had on ribbon poi when compared to either glowsticks or fire? And if you've not used them - why not? What discourages you from giving it a go?

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I saw this and thought I would put a few words in about the use of fire.FIRE is what made man who he is. Buy Controlling fire we where able to stay alive in the cold caves of the prehistoric age.Fire Is Alive!! And one of the most powerful Elements on earth!!Fire can Light up a room, with a lamp, or it can rip through a forest with No Mercy. Fire can breed with a flash fire, and can kill with the movement of its own wind.It Mesmerizes you at a Camp Fire. You can watch it's red heart beat, and its lungs expand and contract with oxigen. Hear it crackl and whip around. See and feel the deamons. Fire is Power!It has always been there, and once humans where able to control it, we became superior beings.We as Fire Dancers have brought it to another level. To Dance with fire! Wow, one may say its like dancing with the devil himself. However not only are dancing with it, but we are controlling it. I watch the demonds fly franticly after the poi, and know i am safe within the domain of the spher.I will leave you with this: "So give me the power, of Mans Red Flower, so I can be like you..." -Jungle BookSkichristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Not to sound Power hungry But:There is no power in a Glowstik! wink

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
you guys get over it. fire, glow, tennis ball, streamer- it's all poi, enjoy it, fun get into it, whatever way you can. There ought to be no competition between artists, only inspiration- who #*!%*^ cares what the pallete is.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
well im new on this poi stuff ;p i guess i prefer the glowsticks cause that way if i do any kind of error i dont burn myselft;p

Dance like if noone were watching you

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
My personal preference.....FIRE FIRE FIRE!For me anything else is simply a non fire alternative.Although, being pregnant and unable to use fire for at least the next year, I admit to having developed more of an interest in the non-fire alternatives available to me. I think I might even check out those photon lights.Finn smile

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
Hey,I spin fire for two month now and I never used glowstix in my life before next WE !!!I tried it (I had no more fuel to burn) and yes it's a good alternative to fire...You have to add weight because it's sooo light but it's not so bad + you don't have to refuel all the time and you don't need to transport heavy buckets of kero.But yeah it's true in the fire VS glowstick battle...Fire is the winner !!!it makes a beautifull sound and a lot more of light + fire is more attracive for the eye than chemical light + people think spinning fire is dangerous so fire is considered as better than glowsticks for most of peoples.You can't even compare them... glowstiX people try and train to spin fire then you will find that chemicals light are only good as ALTERNATIVE to fire.I have to say that I last WE I was in one of the biggest free-partie (teknival) of Europe and I found only 2 glowsticks for maybe 50 twirlers. You can deduce that glowsticks = rave and tekno people is wrong. Here tekno-peoples prefer fire grinAnyway glowsticks are a very nice alternative... have to buy a few of them wink

o]-[DasK]-[o

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I'm finally gonna post my humble opinion on this topic.I'm fire all the way baby and anything else is nothing but a sub-standard alternative. I certainly appreciate the fact that sometimes fire ain't practical and that other things need to be used instead, but these situations are infrequent for me, because that's the way i direct my life.It seems to me that fire people generally have a different spirit and that the focus (again generally) is on the artform and the element and the movement. In stark contrast, it seems to me that glow people are generally motivated by the prospect of gaining an audience and subsequent positive affirmations. Don't get me wrong, I am fully appreciative of enjoying an audience, but having an audience should be incidental, not the primary motivation for cracking some stix.In my observations, people (those who aren't riding the tsunami wink ) treat their pyro manipulations as an artform and an extremely important element of their lives, whereas glowies are just going through the motions for the sake of looking good in the middle of a circle of people. Please, I AM generalising! I wonder how many glowies just go for a twirl on their own, knowing full well no one will see them? On the other hand, (safety issues aside) I know of many many firepeople that play in ones and twos, simply to appreciate their elemental play.I think firepeople have spirit - look for the light behind their eyes. ------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 25 July 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Page: