Forums > Social Chat > hey...whats burning? oh...its me!!!

Login/Join to Participate

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
yay! my first burn!

Non-Https Image Link

in a performance at uni i was using my big cathedral poi in a flat (horizontal) buzzsaw, and had mis-wraped my chain around my left hand, leaving out a couple of fingers. i use 4ft dog chains wrapped around my hands several times so i didnt notice. as a result the poi was about 10cm longer than it should have been.
additionally my fire shirt hadnt been washed in a few spins & breaths so had some residual fuel on it.
it took about 1 second to register that the heat on my neck wasnt from the poi, and so i patted the flame about fairly quickly, and finished my routine. i was probably alight for maybe 3 secs.

it was a bit raw for the rest of the evening, but the pain was tolerable. it doesnt particularly hurt now. according to various references it counts as a 2nd degree burn.

well thats my adventure for the moment. back to work now.

hugs to all!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

xXPink^SootXxmember
16 posts

Posted:
ouch. not a nice place to get burnt.

m/:Dm/

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Congratulations. ~.^ You might want to use some antibiotic cream or whatnot so it doesn't scar, though.

E pluribus unum, baby.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think it's really just a big hickey and he's trying to pass it off as a burn.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
i was gonna say that!

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
yeh, in reality its a giant hickie that some 14 yr old girl gave to him, and hes just trying to say its a burn to cover up that fact to the mrs!

hehehe just kidding, ouch mate not good...

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
It looks like theres a slight chance of scarring in the reddest spot, when it's mostly healed start applying vitamin E.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Leper! unclean! unclean!

I usually singe the hair on my arms or burn off the split ends of my pony tail..

Raph

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Also, make sure to cover the area with sunblock for a year or it will never look right again.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
oi, did someone say vitamin e? very nice for cutting down on scarring

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I managed to set fire to my armpit while spinning the other night, but I was lucky ehough to put it out before I got any proper burns, although I did have a few "mates" pointing and laughing at me!!

yeah, thanks guys - pass the fire extinguisher!!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ouch! well i'm sorry and congrats all in one i suppose. yes, vitamin e works quite well. it helped quite nicely for my scars from my nipple piercings.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
eek! that looks like a nasty burn!! hope it heals okay!!!

i burnt my eyelid a couple of months ago - now that hurts! kero in the eye is not fun either!! my eyebrow was also a casualty in that burn!!! usually (by usually i mean when i sometimes burn myself) i just burn my arm or my hair...

anyone else had any bizarre/really painful burns that produce marks that are hard to explain to those who aren't into playing with fire?!

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
yes mike, youve found out my little secret... it was actually a love bite. someone told me to never mess with a woman with an acid tongue....

ill line up the various creams and potions youve all suggested and apply all at once.

pounce, do you have any part of your body that isnt pierced???

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
um, no.

actually my nipples aren't pierced anymore, but they were. and there are a few spots that aren't pierced on my body, but hopefully that won't last too long

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
thats a very nice neck you have there Mr Dentrassi

Currently on the right side up of the world.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
My first scar was from a spin on Canada Day (Also my first time infront of a crowd...) my wicks are held on with 1/4 inch lock bolts. Anyway I was spinning and during a trick the end of said bolt hit my side (I spin sans shirt). I now have a moon shaped scar on my side. But me thinks thats a little burn that happened to land on a abnormaly large hicky.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Once you get nine burns does it make you a fireman?

It's a pretty impressive one, congratulations.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
poor ickle Dent-y

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
wow! impressive! big ouch tho!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
wow! impressive! big ouch tho!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So are you walking around now looking like a cast off from the 70's with your shirt all hanging open? And next time she tells you she'll kiss it and make it better, tell her no!

Put vitamin E on it once it begins to heal. Don't use a burn ointment/cream at all. They do not allow air to get to the wound, which burns need (just nursed two very small of them myself). If you keep it a bit moist without a whole lot of coverage, it should heal fine. Aloe and lavender make a really nice combo to apply to a still icky would. When it appears to be healing and drying then start the E by popping open a gel cap with a pin and putting it right on there. If it does scar there is a solution you can purchase called Scar-Away and it does help to minimize scars, stetch marks, all sort of stuff. Our beauty product stores carry it in the US.

Take care of yourself, and next time be more careful cause while I am sure that a toasted Dentrassi is prolly tasty, I think I like the raw version better!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
im flexible....i can be toasted to order. medium-rare perhaps?

scaraway? it sounds very versatile.... although im not sure ill be needing it for stretch marks!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OUCH! Sorry to see that homie!

What fuel were you using?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
can i have my dentrassi to be boiled in a bag?

dude im gutted for you that you hurt yourslef, even more gutted i missed you on msn teh other day, i was with my lady in my room and didnt hear it go off!

sorry man, i do still love you!

ps i did a show alst sat, twas fooking ace, did some fire breathing again too, no probs this time! i was lucky!

happy days man

sorry i dont have any cures for you, but i have some spray called nuke-away, and thats supposed to help if you get syuck in a radio acive fall out, plus it has a nice pine smell!

Step (el-nombrie)

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hey mate, sorry to hear about your hurtness. please don't develop a bad relationship with your poi over this - it is too late for me, there is a pair of mine that i dislike a bit

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
Really nice burn dude! You must be so proud

My only real burn was about a month ago when I was doing a little fire show for about 30 people. I desiced to do some arm wraps at the end of the show and the chain was VERY hot. I wrapped the chain around my arm and flicked it straight back off (as you do)but the chain had burned a chain like scar on my arm. the only part left on the scar is one link of the chain which some how looks like a smiley face??? There seems to be a circle for the face plus two eyes and a mouth. hahaha

Be Good, and if you DONT be Good, Buy a Pram!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
it seems the scaraway cream is mostly vitamin E with some vitamin D in it, and a bit of moisturizing stuff.