Fitriamember
97 posts

Posted:
Guys please help me.

Any tips on how to settle nerves?

I have my first paid performance in front of a LARGE crowd (and it will be me and me alone...eek!) TONIGHT!!!!!!

I am shaking like a leaf already and my heart is going a thousand miles per second.

Please does any one have any tips or anything that may be of help to me?

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
The fear litany from Dune:

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

E pluribus unum, baby.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth...slowly... pretend they are not there

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

zwitterionSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
I've done a lot of performing (of one sort or another) and never found anything that totally eliminates nerves. Certainly mind tricks don't work, the best thing I've found is to keep physically active up until the performance. Find stuff to do, and don't give yourself the time or opportunity to just sit and worry about it. Easy sport is good, a manual hobby, sex ... Anything which takes your mind away from think and onto something tactile and immediate.. good luck!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
A lot of people who are quite experienced at performance still feel fear/nerves beforehand and just accept it rather than trying to eliminate it.

A useful thing for the future would be to bear in mind performance aspects whilst practising fire on your own.

For example, last week I had a gig arranged in front of a large group of people and it had been quite a while since I'd done that.

When I went down to practice with my fire ropes a couple of days b4 the gig I imagined that I was at the event.

I found that I started off spinning too fast, and I also messed up the extinguishing by spinning part i.e. one rope went out and the other didn't.

So that's the two things that I had in my mind when the day to perform came- to start off slow, and to nurture the end of the spin when the ropes have just got little blue flames, so they could be extinguished at the same time by a sudden speed increase.

People who do a fair number of gigs soon get all the necessary aspects solid in their heads, for those of us who gig only intermittently it's good to pretend to be at a performance whilst practicising on our own sometimes; maybe even take some notes of things to remember.

A list of equipment including everything you need e.g. poi, safety items, spare lighter, drinking water etc is something I find essential; it also helps with nerves because you know that you've packed and ticked off everying.

Lastly, don't try to control nerves by having a drink/smoke; it's a potential slippery slope.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
As soon as you get up there you'll forget the crowd and get into the swing (sorry) of things. Nerves are just a physiological reaction, and they'll go. eat something gingery to settle your stomach if you're feeling nauseous.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
*rubs hands together* at my skool play i was the one relaxing people

are you worried about the audience or that you'll stuff up?

audience: they're there to see YOU! therefore if they dont like you thats their own damn fault! cos they chose to be there to see YOU! you're the star and they are just going to have to deal with that!

stuffing up: simple. you DONT stuff up. everything you do is intentional. (i dont know what ur show is) but if there are moves and other people and you step out of sync - no you didnt. they all did. you got it right. one of THEM stuffed up and the others followed cos they're sheep, but you, you knew what you were doing in the first place!

well, i hope that helps! it works with high school dancers!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
erm,

im performing infront of my school 6th form this sat nite!!

im not exactly the most popular guy in the school (loser's the phrase they use ) and if i mess it up i will never live it down, especially as its a bording school.

god im nervous.

oh, use the litany of fear, its what i do

jsut relax and drink half a pint o beer, nothing more.

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
So how did it go?

I rang the Lynwood and at first they said nothing of fire entertainment then said yep she is.

Hope all went well for you...

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I've been performing the better part of 13 years and I still get nervous. I even teach performance skills, and get nervous doing that. It is a reaction that is really healthy. It helps to keep you on your toes and in check.
Keeping busy is an important way of distracting yourself, but also try to channel that energy into something creative or into your performance, it adds an intensity to it that is tremendous.

The biggest thing is to not be so serious. Be able to laugh at yourself. That way if you mess up because your nervous everything is still good.
IMHO

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK