Page:
Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I got "Circles of light" and wasn't as impressed as I thought I was going to be. I liked some parts and others just bored me. Don't get me wrong, I have mad respect for everyone on the movie, but I was just exspecting more I guess. I would deffinatly recomend getting this video, it was good to watch other spinners. A little off subject but I got my Zuni poi today, Love them, just a little getting used to. They weigh quite a bit more then glowstix, but I'm doing fine.Eric------------------If a nuclear bomb went off, we'de all be giant glowstix, think about it, spinning with your two best friends would have a whole new meaning.

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey myst about those zunis, where did you get yours from? i met steve poreda aka mr fun at a fun party in la. he is the owner of infinity toys and he e-mails me all the time trying to send me to various states to do demonstrations. he is a really cool guy. i hung out with him and his little troupe all night. i saw the zunis for the first time that night and i kept playing with them. we had a blast. if we hook up maybe we can go on a trip somewhere for him. about that video, you were not too impressed huh, i have never seen it but wanted to see it and see how i measure up. well hope to hear from you soon.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
hy mist, i use the Zuni hooks on my glowsticks now all the time, and i never went back to stupid shoe laces. Try it out on your sticks. It also keeps you in the habit of spinning them with the same hand position."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Hey superman, I'm not really one for change. I spin my sticks a little longer then those strings will allow so I don't want to switch. I like using both though, it's fun to go from zuni to stix. It kinda throws you off though, zunies are a bit heavier.Eric

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well,I watched it last night too, and I think that if you spin fire, you will get something out of this movie, and I recommend getting it. There is a bunch of very different styles, people twirling in ways I've never seen before smileI honestly recommend anyone who is into fire twirling to get it.The first guy (Rick?) IMHO sets a new standard for fire poi twirling. I was awed.Josh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Myst, I think you missed the point of the movie, and I thank you Josh for recognising that it was about style and sharing, not about being the best. Honestly, I don't think there is a "best" out there Myst, since it would be judged on style against style which is wholely unfair. I also have to say, and I mean this with all due respect and regards to you, that I really feel bad for you Myst, it seems that you spend alot of time disappointed. You are disappointed in the video, in the spinners around you or that you have met. frown It seems that you look at things in the context of who is better than whom and that technicalities are where it is all at, though there truly is so much more to all modes of spinning, though I am sure you know that. smile A person can learn something new from even the most basic of spinners, I have time and again. It is that spirit with which I feel you should watch the video, and maybe then you will see it from a less disappointed point of view, I hope. You have my regards and hopes for finding more fulfilling experiences.Thank you Josh. I look forward to seeing the video.Poz, I am glad that your experience with Zuni has been good. smileThey have been discontinued from three chains of Eastern US stores due to their continual breaking and failure in performance. frown Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject.Bright burnings and glowings all,------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Hey Pele, If you feel the need to analize me, thats great, but no, I don't walk around dissapointed by everything. I was only saying I exspected more from the movie. I would have really liked to have seen more wraps. A part of the movie I really enjoyed was the, I don't know what they're called, but they looked like poi strings on fire. Those were sick and caught my attention quite nicely. I only said I was exspecting more, I didn't say it was bad. I even recomended getting the video. I'm sorry you feel that way about me Pele. I don't hold it against you though, you have a convincing argument.Eric

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Sup, If you're talking about the "Zuni hooks" as the metal things on the bottom (rather than the nylon straps themselves) they are simply "brass snap swivels" found next to fishing hooks at any major sports retailer. I got 35 lb. ones and they work great for zuni or glowsticks. 3 for $1. You can make the strings as long or short as you want or even put multiple clips on one string... I'm a big fan of two different colored glowsticks at different lengths on the same string to get concentric circles. The pretty colors tend to distract from my lack of ability. smileJust don't ask Pele for any... I did and I'm still waiting for mine. wink

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
hey Myst - the toys you are talking about are called fire whips. and they are spectacular. the vid didn't do them justice - they burn really blue: breathtaking.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think I should take a bow, even tho I was very shakey and didnt really do much with them...::bows::josh

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Flash fire, I really likeed your short part a lot. I'm not into the whole staff/batton thing but when you threw one up and will still holding one it shocked the hell out of me. I'd definatly like to see more from you. Thanks for the name of those things, I have to get me some. I've never spun fire but those things would be fun as hell to spin. I didn't write anything about you earlier cause I didn't know you responed to things, I rarely see your posts. So far the people I like the most here are Superman and you. Hope to get somemore dialog with you soon. Eric

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I ordered the video last week and am hoping it to be in my mailbox as of today. i cant wait to see it!! i know I will thoroughly enjoy it. I mainly wanted it to leanr new moves, and help me develop.Like when My friend ordered the training video, all the basics i could do by the time i saw it. I got more out of watching the girl in the beginning that sparked up. mrmo_nyc: I want to make own with the swivel hook things now. Whats the best way to attach them? Ill do a search on it. The Practice POI from this site are much better quality than the Zuni's. My Zuni pleather straps ripped on me within the first week. I stiched some nylons on there since then.Arent opinions great??Super'

- Mark Twain

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hmm..since I don't actually have a video player or know anyone that does I guess it rules me out for watching the vid... sounds like I expected it to though, a funky compilation of different styles and techniques from HERE (yay).. My mate does the whole hold onto one stick and change hands with it while another one is in the air thing..it rad...going back and forth from one direction to the other while one stick is helicoptering above.. *drool*... my new toy over the next few days is gonna be whip chains .. I bet they sound as awesome as they look..

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
im also just looking forward to seeing some of you sexy bitches fro the first time..HAAHAa grinDoes the video say who is who?"S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i also like to twirl glowsticks with like 3 on each string at a time. mine are pretty heavy, and have the hooks for 3 sticks. it was actually pretty easy to make, i dont have a swivel at the end and it works fine. theres just keychain rings at the bottom, clips to hold the other two and plastic loops u slip the bottom of the glowsticks through so they're not just flying around from the top. my boyfriend actually made them, maybe i could get him to explain a little better.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Hey Malcolm, I'm not appologizing for an opinion of mine, but just remember thats all it is is an opinion. I'm sorry it hurts you that I feel that way, but I'm not sorry for saying it. I like you, I think you've done a great thing by making this site. Some of the moderators may not be so cool all the time but you've chosen well. I attacked your masterpeice, I'm only one person, another person might think it's an dumbfounding video, it's all in the eye of the beholder.I love you too man, Josh and Malcolm, good people.Eric

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
I'm still consistantly impressed with the level of maturity, diplomacy and intelligence expressed on this and other HOP threads.After reading Myst's post... well I don't know about y'all but that's a fight on my block. It's nice to see that others can just shrug off an unprovoked insult as well.

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i dont like any of you people.... wink grin grin [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">Super'------------------[/image]"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Mad props to everyone out there that contributed to the video. I got a lot out of it, and enjoyed watching it. Being that there were myriad toys and styles, I was pleased by each one, even those not fire. So when is part 2 coming out? wink------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
looking forward to getting the vid. I just gotta kick my mates arse into getting it on his credit card cos i dont have one smiletwisted fire starter wink

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
are there any wraps in the video as it is something i am working on and would love to see some variationscheers

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
There is a few wraps, but nothing too out there (except for Robert Michael, but IMHO his whole set is out there! smile)Josh

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Nice to see that someone can have a differing opinion on this board and not get hammered for it.......NOTwhy is it so bad that someone didnt absolutely enjoy the video? Everyone would have had different expectations of it.Sure there were some awesome twirlers on the video, but other parts i was simply bored. Is it so wrong to have a differing opinion?This is reminding me very much of the whole drug thread......

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Malcolm is the MAN!!! We have an understanding, we have an understanding, NA NA NANA NA! Now that there is an understanding between us there is no more fights, isn't it great.Eric

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Just watched the video and as an overall theme all I can say is "More!" I quite enjoyed watching the styles and techniques of everone.One of the things that really jumped at me is that you can tell who is aware of the audience and who is not. If people are watching this to learn how/what to spin I think it's great. If they're watching for tips for shows, I think it will help give ideas of what to and not to do. (I'm horrible with names, so I won't use them.) - The 2 boys in the gymansium had this audience sense down. All they need is some more time and I think they'll do very well.- There was a lady in red that did very simple moves but did them fluidly and moved very smoothly. She had a constant change in the moves and didn't overdo them. She also knew how she was moving and kept it in check. If you're looking for her, she did a 9 count 1-handed butterfly near the end of her set and her picture was cropped.- I also liked watching Dangerboy (remember him because he was right at the beginning) the dual staffs looked cool and he moved well with them. I also liked his scenery in that brick building with the windows. Next time though, please tell the cameraman to stand still. He kept zooming in and you couldn't see the spinning.Performing issues: - Doing lots of turns while spinning in pitch black is almost useless. The guy in front of the fence I couldn't see at all. I liked how he spun, but it looked like he did a lot with his body and I couldn't see him.- There were a few people that looked like they were falling all the time. Kicking and turning together looks like the kick threw you off balance.- Spnning really fast all the time looks funny and ruined the effect of it for me. I swear one of the girls looked like her tape was on fast forward. But the fast did work for the led nunchaku guy (in the dirty bedroom.)It was nice to see so many people spinning and I'm glad I can be a part of this in real life with Pele. Even though I don't spin I'm usually the most vocal member of Pele's audience and I give her a lot of feedback. Watching this with her has given us some things to work for and some things to watch out for.As an aspiring photographer and cameraman for Pyromorph this also gave me some great things to watch for in that arena.Malcolm, good job on that. Can I get the sequel on DVD in surround sound next time? smile j/k.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you[This message has been edited by Pele'sWhippingBoy (edited 18 July 2001).]

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Dear Everybody,well, I loved the video, it was inspirational. But there is a slight problem with it. You see...I am MUCH better now than I was when I send in my video. I can do many many many more cool and original moves, plus I have learned and I am still learning the moves off of the video (btb weave, wraps, kicks to add to my own kicks) so....I think it would be a great idea to do a sequal sometime in the future. (perhaps in about one year, or how ever long it takes to sell off the videos you already have and make a good profit) and by the way, Malcolm, you rock! you are THE man, the Iotola of rock and rola! I could not possibly be the man, cause YOU are the man, man. at this rate, think of how good we will be 20 years form now...conversation rules the nation. We will reach greater highths that anyone in history. WHY? because we are sharing our moves with eachother and this leads to new moves.... ad infinitumDaniel

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
ive been wanting to get in on this thread and comment on the vid, but i hadnt recived it yet. BUT!!I just got it yesterday. I enjoyed it thoroughly. i luved some of the camera effects, and the quality of the shots were great. I wouldnt call the vid boring...i would say repitious at times...but that would be the case for any video that features something specific.I saw many moves and combos that i cant wait to try at the rave this Sat night. I enjoyed seeing people that i "Talk" to everyday on the site as well. My only wish, is that it was little longer, and maybe Myst and i can get in on the next compilation to give the Glowstciks a little more representation.And i ejoy watching staff a little, and never really got into it...untill i got to see Dangerboy go off. I had to rewind it and watch it a 2nd time. Great work to everyone featured on the video, and good job Malcom.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Eek! We're all jonesing over here on the US right coast! Malcolm, is there a video in the mail for the Baltimore crew? I really wanna see this thing!-protie

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
thanks for the kudos Supe'. i wish you could see me really go off. that vid was taken in january; i've learned a few trix since then. maybe on Circles of Light2 (the return), you'll catch it. and maybe we'll see you there too!------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
hey supe' (and anybody else)the terra-sea boys put together a new video that has some pretty cool staff stuff of me and blaze. https://www.terra-sea.com/video/spin/hayobola12.htmenjoy.
that's an order------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Wow, I just watched the video and that is some COOL shit...too bad the quality of the video is realtively low..I'd love to get some high resolution fullscreen ones with higher frame rates..

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

Page: