alterego
alterego

Warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer
Total posts: 222
Posted:I was at Mission Beach in San Diego last night and I spun right before and inbetween fireworks with glowstix attracting huge crowds, it was freaking great. I had a circle around me about 50 feet in diameter and people were shouting and cheering me on. The only thing that made my night better was that at 2AM I was on the boardwalk and I saw some dude putting metal chains in a cup and I freaked out when I looked closer cuz he was dipping his wicks in kerosene. I spun fire with him for about an hour, that was my first experience and it was great
Non-Https Image Link
I gave him the addy to the board too
Non-Https Image Link
Love always,Spanky

Delete Topic

Superman
Superman

Total posts: 829
Posted:we went downtown to check the explosions here in Houston. they were not bad. i was impressed. I brought my glowstick wit me and about 20 minutes before the F-works started when i was good and dark, i "lit" up. It was pretty cool because it was sort of like my 1st performance. I had alot of people gathered around, (id say at least 50) on the side of this hill in the grass. I spun for about 5-8 minutes before i wore down, but when i was done i accumulated a few aplauses, and some "that was cool"'s.My wife was even impressed. She said she had never seen me do some of the tricks i was doing. I really dont know what i was doing that was different, i just kept in mind what i had been reading hereon the board lately about just leeting it flow and dont worry about moves. So my first semi-performance is dedicated to the members of HOP.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Delete

TallJuggler
Total posts: 41
Posted:I had two performances on the 4th. One at a water park where I did juggling as well as my meteor and fire staffs, next was at a community festival where I walked about doing juggling, performing with a spring animal, and had my meteor out there to. Right before the fireworks the guy I was working for called me up on stage where I did a short segment sith juggling torches, fire devilstick and fire staff, he then downplayed my show to boost his, which was fire eating and breathing. He had some cool fire eating tricks, but I felt I could do the same size blasts that he was doing and I would like to see him spin a fire staff around his head and under his leg. The fire works were running late so I was called back up to do some fire meteor work and then spin my fire sword. It was a MASSIVE audience and they loved it. One of my first performances as well and it went pretty fgood.

Oh LordForge me in the fire of your mightLet your flames burn higher and brighterMake me pure and holy in your siteAnd cleanse me with thy consuming fire

Delete

Superman
Superman

Total posts: 829
Posted:john....that is awesome dude...we opted not to go inside and pay and just sit on the grass..Damn i wish i would have went inside and seen that.!!! Very cool my brotha. When are wee gonna hook up and spin??let me know.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Delete

Pele
Pele

the henna lady
Total posts: 6193
Posted:I too did the fourth thing. I was added to the docket at very last minute to perform in my very small, very conservative community's annual picnic in the park. It was my first "home show" ever (okay, well first with fire and first in something like 8 years overall) so I was scared *&itless. Anyway I pulled of ****10 performances in 5 hours****, including fire staff...which I had to give up do to space contraints (I almost caught the boundary rope on fire), fire poi, fire eating and over **33 blows** (sounds dirty doesn't it?
Non-Https Image Link
), then I hung around in the middle times for questions. It went well. People were kind of intimidated by me so Whipping Boy answered alot of questions and he got to see the looks on the audience faces, since I was in spin mode I didn't get a good look. I was actually afraid they didn't like it since I never heard any applause at all...but WB and some others assured me they were too awed to clap. That and I had no set schedule or anything, I just decided to stagger my shows between the acts on stage one and stage two, so there were no announcements or anything. WB timed it and figured it took 1 1/2 minutes for over 50 people to arrive and sit for the show. Also one of the face painters was facing me when I first started, she was so shocked by it that she messed up the painting on the kid and had to wash it off and start over...after turning her chair around.
Non-Https Image Link
I have already been hired for next year and am in discussions for other events. It went better than I thought it would.Whew *wiping forehead* glad it's done though. I have never been so tired nor have I felt it neccesary to take charcoal caps as a precautionary measure as I did yesterday!!! ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 06 July 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete

Jeannie
Jeannie

Total posts: 18
Posted:I had an awesome Indepen-dance day...
Non-Https Image Link
I went to South Beach where the monthly drum circle usually is... it's held every full moon~ and last night was a full moon, but it was also a weekday, so I wasn't sure if a lot of people were going to show up. Boy was I wrong! There were easily over 3,000 people crowding the beach from 5th street all the way up to north miami beach... I walked my poi from 16th to 25th street along the beach. Only one of my glowsticks lit
Non-Https Image Link
so my performance was sort of lopsided, but it was still fun. I can't remember having so many strangers ask to take my picture before!I then walked back down the sidewalk to 17th (Lincoln Road), swinging my one glowstick, trailing three or four groupies. Their eyes were practically glued to my glowsticks, so I figure they were rolling. I didn't feel too comfortable with that, so I put it away, and they almost started to cry.
Non-Https Image Link
Then I walked down the open-air Lincoln Road mall, which is Miami's hippie central. I met a couple of jugglers from Argentina and Spain, and talked poi with them for about an hour, which was awesome. None of my poi-less friends can seem to stand talking about it as much as I'd like to... for some reason, they get bored. How silly! Then I met a jewlery seller who had a drum with him~ he and two others proceeded to pound out a beat, and I twirled to that until the cops came by and told us to lower the volume. Don't that suck? They were just uptight, it being the Fourth and all.I had to walk back up LIncoln Road to get to the busstop, and then caught the WRONG BUS, which dropped me off five blocks from home. For those of you who are counting, that's 32 BLOCKS walked and 3 HOURS straight poi-ing. So you can guess just how sore my muscles and feet are today... HAPPY FOURTH!
Non-Https Image Link
Jeannie------------------" preciso amar as pessoas como seNo houvesse amanh." We must love as if there was no tomorrow.

preciso amar as pessoas como se
No houvesse amanh.
We must love as if there was no tomorrow.

Delete