Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
well... im entranced by fire. just happened recently. First time I lit up, it was so different, and it took a lot of getting used to. Then I did a wrap. That is when I got hooked. I dance with just pants on; no shirt. And Im enthralled with wraps. I do them constantly on my pants/legs etc. But also on my torso and arm wraps. As a result, I have several burn marks, and fresh ones tonight! shockedI was wondering if anyone else has similar quirks with fire? Or am I just nuts?------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
you bet !!!justa short while ago I was practicing the wraps (neck and arms) with fire and I really seriously hurta nd burnt myself cause I was so thrilled, as always that I did not realize how burnt I was everywhere until I stopped and then looked myself in the mirror. people at work looked at me as if I had turned into some sado-masochistic freak with chains, fire and all !!!!So to quote a wise woman (thank you pele wink ) : Practice unlit for a loooooooooong time before you do it with fire.However, i must admit that I still cannot really beleive that with practice I can keep this terribly hot part of the chain (the one above the wick) to burn my body ... still trying to figure out that one ...Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Tikimember
44 posts

Posted:
I've got a crisscrossed pattern of burn marks from all the wraps I do. Along with a pretty ugly scar forming from a wrap that tied itself around my arm and took a good while to remove.

1. CAUTION: Knife is very sharp. Keep out of children
2. A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
3. Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
So, I worked with a kid a while back who's really into wraps and keeps burning his upper arms. He's the only kid I know that does wraps on bare skin. Here's why. Any hot metal burns instantly on contact. There's really not much hope that you *won't* burn yourself wrapping bare skin, no matter how good you get at it. If you continue to do wraps on bare skin, you are deliberately hurting yourself. Anyway, I'll recommend what I recommended to him. Leather guantlets. You can build them full arm or just the upper arm or wherever you like to do wraps. Take care of yourself and keep burning for a long time to come.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Cheers Diana smile I am reassured to know that burns can't be avoided no matter how much you try. Still I remember seeing people, pictures and reading Pele saying that she does wraps on bare skin , right Pele ? how is this possible ???shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
I like my leetle burns.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I like my "leetle" burns too. :P Just not the big ones..heheI appear to have come across this same phenomenon. While showing off my wick(and loop) shaped burn on one arm, and my scrape/burn on my other arm...everyone kept asking me "Why?" I just told them that it was an amazing experience, and that if I burnt myself EVERY time it would still be worth it. They all looked at me as if I was some masochist. :P heheFunny thought...does a masochist take asprin?plur,CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I do wraps all the time, and I haven't burnt myself once, and I am talking about wraps on bare skin. My chains actually dont seem to get that hot for some reason.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I am with you ES, my chains don't get that hot, in fact I can handle them to dismantle immediately after a burn without any heat effect. Same thing with the wire I use around the towel wicks. I dunno. As for me, yes I am masochistic to a degree. The burns I have sustained came from three things...1) I cut my 4 wicked short to avoid hitting another less observant spinner, wrapped it around my ankle (which means it didn't just wrap but circle around) and kicked it off...more than the 5 second allotment for contact so my ankle now bares a scar.2) Another fire performer didn't spin off and I was doused in flaming fuel...lower arm scars.3) THe wind shifted yesterday and I burned my lip a bit, though it is fine now. Other than that I get the occassional topical abbrassion burn. I don't feel them and they are pink for a day then go away, nothing bad, and I do wrap and bounce on bare skin.Thing is..I take chances I prolly shouldn't take. I use Short chains but do alot of inside moves that are close to me...I have singed my eyelashes from the buzzsaw about three time (from close proximity not from hitting myself), I eat in wind and have done fire blows where the wind shifted back on me and I had to out run them going backwards. Thing about the masochistic tendencies with me is that I know my limits. I know what I can do and I know what I can reasonably and safely get away with and will not really cross those boundaries, walk them yes but not push the safety ones too far. I believe in practicing unlit whole heartedly. I believe in not doing fire over a burn, that is if I do get a tap burn I don't retap that area again, etc....I suppose my thing with this is the passion for fire, the love of adrenaline and the desire to give the best performance I possibly can...not necessarily a joy of pain.BTW, nice ideas Diana but there is something about on bare skin that appeals to the masses more, you know? It's that magician who wears the big coat to conceal things versus the one who wears the tight short sleeves and makes youwonder how it is done, there is a professionalism and mystery about the person who can wrap on flesh and not get burned (or at least not show it wink)Safe burns to all!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK