Robbiemember
11 posts

Posted:
I got poi for x-mas and I'm not toooooo bad, I'm very eager to get onto fire, as I've seen my brother do it and it kicks!! But, I no that you have to be good to do it, so, when can I start? Your suggestions please, peace out, Rob[This message has been edited by Robbie (edited 14 January 2001).]

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
KEEP ON PRACTISING shocked. when u can do it without hitting yourself then move on to fire. practise with fire chains (my chains) without fire to learn how to cope with the weight.peace out garbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Truly you are the only one who can decide whn you're ready. I know of people who never feel ready for fire.I agree with Garbo...practice with the fire chains unlit and only do moves you are really confident with...very simple easy moves the first time.Beyond that I will also suggest that you don't let your enthusiasm and exhuberance cloud your judgement. Be safe and be reasonable about what you can do. Fire really does add alot to the poi and is a whole new experience from swinging without it. I can garuntee though that once you take that chance you will LOVE it!Take care and keep us posted on how you're doing.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

jessejamesmember
22 posts

Posted:
i couldnt imagine playing with poi or staff without fire when i first started although now i that i have become more serios about it i find that im practicing alot while not burning also all that kero smoke was starting to give me nose bleedsjessejamesps pleasenote that i have burnt myself inumrable times alhtough i find this to be what works for me if your not into the crash and BURN school of spining then take it slowpps as soon as i saw some folks spinning for the first time i knew that i just had to try it right then and never turned back i have a hard time relating to those who arnt ready it seems that i was always readydoes this make me a fool? hahahahaanybodyelse feel the same way

burnin down the house

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
Ive decided as well that if you're going to spin with fire you really need to have some practice with fire too to become proficient - perhaps if you perform regularly that would suffice .. but I found that I was a bit hesitant and nervous when I spun with fire and it inhibited my full on coolness smile now the more I dance with it the more I can relax into the dance - which actually feels a bit safer, as I hit myself less than when I was tense smileI agree that practicing untill you can do the moves you want without hitting yourself is a good benchmark - but I still hit myself in practise on even some of the simpler moves smile which I do fine when I have the 'fire eeek oh my god Im going to burn myself' focus on smilemanaged to have one start wrapping itself up my arm the other night and was like 'uh oh' but because I didnt panic and knew I had time I just waited and swung it undone without any burns - you need that confidence around fire (without becoming cocky smileummm I dont know if that helps at all smileps .. how can juggleloser think firedancing isnt dangerous - I do it heaps and still feel it is - and actually hope I dont lose that awareness since thats when Im going to get hurt :/

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
Jesse - I played with fire the first time I saw it - but then Id played with the performers practise ones a couple of times before and kept it simple the first time - Ive also let friends play with one poi when its burning to get the feel for it (since one poi is a lot safer smile like someone earlier said - its when you feel ready ... (ok it was pele sayer of all things wise and true smile

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
Ive decided as well that if you're going to spin with fire you really need to have some practice with fire too to become proficient - perhaps if you perform regularly that would suffice .. but I found that I was a bit hesitant and nervous when I spun with fire and it inhibited my full on coolness smile now the more I dance with it the more I can relax into the dance - which actually feels a bit safer, as I hit myself less than when I was tense smileI agree that practicing untill you can do the moves you want without hitting yourself is a good benchmark - but I still hit myself in practise on even some of the simpler moves smile which I do fine when I have the 'fire eeek oh my god Im going to burn myself' focus on smilemanaged to have one start wrapping itself up my arm the other night and was like 'uh oh' but because I didnt panic and knew I had time I just waited and swung it undone without any burns - you need that confidence around fire (without becoming cocky smileummm I dont know if that helps at all smileps .. how can juggleloser think firedancing isnt dangerous - I do it heaps and still feel it is - and actually hope I dont lose that awareness since thats when Im going to get hurt :/

Winne-the-Pooh.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That was a wonderful point Lurkapup, that you should always keep your danger awareness when playing with fire...even when you feel "comfortable". That cockiness you spoke of really does lead to burns...as does exsessive fear.And Lurkapup, dear, sweetie, that was a great compliment smile at the end of yer post and I thnak you for it but I still have ALOT to learn as well. wink In the end I think we all have alot to contribute to each other...which is what keeps us coming back I am certain.Take Care grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Robbiemember
11 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys, that was usefull grin. I've decided to us e my brothers (Garbo) Fire poi without sparking up, and when I feel confident-reach for that lighter! Peace out Rob wink