Forums > Social Chat > names of poi moves.....?

Login/Join to Participate

touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
Hey poi people.I am just wondering if there is anybody else struggling to learn all the names for poi moves? People keep asking me if I can do moves like "the split time waterfountain into the reverse rainbow twist with an inverted jungle swing on the end"? (in case you can`t tell I made these up, but you know what I mean.)byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...*TOUCH*

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
to tell the truth Touch, since I learned all the names my twirling has become more 'codified'. I now tend to do this move and that move, instead of do my own thing. I'm not sure the naming thing is a good thing for stylistic diversity...Anyhow, it is the only way to make online twirling learning possible, so if you dont have any peers to practice with and evolve with, you are stuck with doing this and that.Josh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
For me, I learned my basic repertoire off this site, so I picked up the names as a natural consequence. Perhaps if I had figured out the moves on my own, it would be harder to relate what I knew to the moves listed in the "Poi-lessons" section.Although there are still a few moves on this site that I can't do (grr), I've gotten to the point where I'm doing other moves that I don't have names for, or where I do have a name, but it's so ridiculously long it's not worth using, like the contra-rotating overlapping buzz-saw. I know what Josh means about style becoming codified--I wrestle with the problem of just stepping through moves, rather than flowing.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, I definitely struggle with names... but imagine if you were a French frog and you'd have to first understand it and then translate these beautiful names into French (trust me it usually sounds ... eee... real bad in French) and you get all confused ;o)Josh and Adamrice, I understand u guys and I have not reached your level for sure, however, I am just wondering if this naming thing really "hurts" creativity... in a way it definitely ruined my ego cause I found out that most of the things I thought I had found out by myself actually do exist on this site or elsewhere for ages ... makes one stay nice and humble ;o) Seriously, names and techniques are justlike music notes which of course exist for a long time allready and are just a frame of action , But in the end it is all about how you "compose " your melody, your music, your dancing with your own style , isn't it ? Or does this sound stupid ?shine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Cassandra--no, it doesn't sound stupid. You're exactly right.

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
well i worked out there are two parts of names name a verb and adjective... the verb being the basic butterfly, windmill or weave then the adjectives backwards, reverse, spilttime, forwards... ect ect ect then i learnt the bits what they meant seperatially and i just string them togather as i see fit... either that or i will add somebits that sound good ... i think thats about how i learnt to name ... work what things are------------------moo? ... is that it?

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i was in the same boat as adam...i remember he has commented before that thegroup he usually swings with had different names for moves, so did my group of friends. There sure as hell wasnt any splittime/sametime stuff. It took me about a month to "Unlearned what i had learned" But it does make reading and learning new moves on the board about 1,000,000 times easier..I think i think everyone's style will emerge eventually. I am just recently learning to let myself go and not worry about doing moves, or if i covered every move i know...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I have to say that i couldnt name one poi move from another there again i couldnt tell you one name of the moves of the fire tool i use. the way i tell people how do moves is they are either doing a figure of 8 or a circle as most of the moves consist of these two moves the only diffrence is they are moving then to diffrent parts of the body ie: start at the left side doing a forward circle then when it reaches 10 oclock bring your hand forward and go into a forward sideways figure of ¥ 8 then at the cross over on your right side go into a forward circle these moves are done with your hand and wrist. even though i use these moves in my fire sport going by what i have seen in the video archive you will have no problem using the same teqnique in poi if you want to try this and you are new to poi try holding the poi between 2.5 3 ft from the end until you get use to the move then start extending the lenth. could someone tell me how long poi should beas i have only seen one pair and they were about four foot which i thought were to long as this would limit you to the moves that can be achived but there again what do i know about poi "nothing" Go with the flow------------------Twist for the joy of it.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I have to say that i couldnt name one poi move from another there again i couldnt tell you one name of the moves of the fire tool i use. the way i tell people how do moves is they are either doing a figure of 8 or a circle as most of the moves consist of these two moves the only diffrence is they are moving then to diffrent parts of the body ie: start at the left side doing a forward circle then when it reaches 10 oclock bring your hand forward and go into a forward sideways figure of ¥ 8 then at the cross over on your right side go into a forward circle these moves are done with your hand and wrist. even though i use these moves in my fire sport going by what i have seen in the video archive you will have no problem using the same teqnique in poi if you want to try this and you are new to poi try holding the poi between 2.5 3 ft from the end until you get use to the move then start extending the lenth. could someone tell me how long poi should beas i have only seen one pair and they were about four foot which i thought were to long as this would limit you to the moves that can be achived but there again what do i know about poi "nothing" only what i have found out on this board Go with the flow------------------Twist for the joy of it.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
David--Poi chains should be whatever length you feel comfortable with. The 4-footers you saw are unusual--most folks like to have them shorter than their arms, so they can swing inside. Some folks like them *much* shorter than that. Some like them a little longer, and will wrap them up in order to do inside moves. There's no right answer. By way of reference, I'm 5'8", and my chains (exclusive of wicks, connectors, and grips) are 14". I can do inside swings with these and just barely clear my body.[This message has been edited by adamrice (edited 06 July 2001).]

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
As far as I am concerned, there is no proper length for poi, even for individuals. I'm 6 ft. tall and I've spun poi from 14 inches to five feet long. The poi I *typically* spin sit about 2-3 inches off the ground when my arms are relaxed at my sides, and this what I recomend people start with. But the variety of longer and shorter chains adds a whole new dimension. I generally prefer chains on the longer side, but that is mostly because I have spent more time working with them. I do intend to start working more with my really short chains in the coming months.I also like variety in weight. When I first started making poi, one of my goals was to make them as light as possible. Since then I have been getting into heavier and heavier poi for the additional workout they provide.Variety really is the spice of life!-p.

touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
Hey PJMy poi just about touch the ground when I hold them by my sides, But I like to wrap them around my hands once to gain a different lenth.And I think it takes a lot more skill to swing poi slowly, therefore I think heavy poi are cool too.------------------peace, love and light*TOUCH*

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.