Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
As i was sitting sewing (shh dont tell anyone i can sew!) I was wondering about careers and things.

When we are young we dream of our ideal job, and our ideal life. When do we stop aiming high, and accept different jobs?

How many of you can truely say yes to these questions:
1) That you love the job you are in and wouldn't deam of changing it?
2) That it's the dream job you've always wanted?
3) That you have 100% job statisfaction, and even if you didn't need to work you still would?

I am still deciding on my career and have many ideas but none really jump out at me. I think i have far too much of an active imagination and the things i really want to do are completely impossible (like a Harrier JumpJet pilot - my eyesite means it's impossible).

Can our dreams ever be real? Or are they meant to just be dreams? Is not obtaining your ideal dream good, by making your constantly strive higher? or does it hinder you?

Alice

[ 24. October 2003, 08:58: Message edited by: Pink....? ]

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
"hold fast to dreams,
for if dreams die,
life is a broken winged bird
that can no longer fly....."

however,this does not mean you shouldn't try out different things...when i left school i had no idea wot i wanted to be so i dropped out and became a "dirty squatter",then i had kids and wanted to be a midwife,then i wanted to work in a nursery(which i did),now i am back to searching my soul for my dream job...

tiamat_22580I will kill all mods
210 posts

Posted:
once when i was younger i told my mother i was going to become a priest, well now my dream job is to be a doctor in the theology and become a pastor for a local church or even teach theology at a univercity or college. cool eh

¿

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Pink....?:
I think i have far too much of an active imagination and the things i really want to do are completely impossible (like a Harrier JumpJet pilot - my eyesite means it's impossible).

I used to want to be a fireman, and couldn't cos of my eyesight.

However, a few days ago I saw a documentary where a journalist went under cover to train as a police officer and exposed some racist trainees.

His first problem was that his eyesight would have excluded him from being accepted, so he had lazer surgery on his eyes and waited a year, then was accepted.

I'm not sure if that's acceptable for pilots, but it could be worth you checking it out.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

dark(ART)member
7 posts

Posted:
I suppose I'm pretty happy with my job. I must be. I mean I work whenever I'm not playing. I'm a mathematician currently at UC Berkeley. I get to solve big problems that people genuinely care about, and once implemented I feel like my solutions do contribute to a shiny, happier place for me to live in.

Funny thing is... I remember "informing" my 9th grade Algebra teacher that she was wasting my time, that I was going to be a professional skateboarder, and that I didn't care what grade she gave me.

I guess the take home message is to remain flexible. Not lazy! Just flexible. Pack as much experience into your life as possible and eventually the opportunity presents itself. Relax. You'll figure it out.

All the world's ailments can be solved with an adequate distribution of condoms and liberal application of 5000lb epoxy.

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by tiamat_22580:
once when i was younger i told my mother i was going to become a priest, well now my dream job is to be a doctor in the theology and become a pastor for a local church or even teach theology at a univercity or college. cool eh
I hate to tread in C@ntus' shoes also, but you're going to have to be able to spell and write better than that to be able to teach at a university.

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

drunkenmonkmember
12 posts

Posted:
Dont want to stray like but how STUPID where those trainees, for that reason alone they should be kicked out of the force. There are too many bouncers in uniform patrolling our streets. they dont know the meaning of the word professional. Makes me sad.

The Drunken Monk of Funk

drunkenmonkmember
12 posts

Posted:
By the way, Pink, not me nor many people could lay claim to that. If your confused sweetie go for the highest paid option and figure it out later. Just do your best at whatever your doing at the time.

Good Luck

The Drunken Monk of Funk

drunkenmonkmember
12 posts

Posted:
Hey Pink, why not be a copper

The Drunken Monk of Funk

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I shouldent laugh, but the thought of Alice as a copper is somewhat amusing

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
will she get to wear one of the bobby helmut things?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I still like to aim high, but I wouldn't swap a job of a janitor for anything... you get to play with saw dust, a floor waxing thingy and ya get to write whatever ya want on the chalk board at nights... ahhh bliss...

(*Note, I wish to say sorry to anyone who has, has been, or knows someone who is a janitor... I know full well that something really bad has happened to them in the past, eg. they never got picked first for teams in dodge ball, they were the dodge ball, or they were really really badly burnt... or has TV taught me nothing??? *)

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I really don't like my job at all; it's an uphill battle to try and get anything done, but I took it on as it's vaguely relevent to my degrees while trying to finish my PhD and this time next year I can quit and get get something even more relevent, as I'll have two years in geotechnics and won't have to end up in Kalgooli or some other arse-end-of-nowhere mining town. Yay!

I wanted to be a tax collector as a child. Too many bible stories.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
quote:
1) That you love the job you are in and wouldn't deam of changing it?
2) That it's the dream job you've always wanted?
3) That you have 100% job statisfaction, and even if you didn't need to work you still would?

1) My job is boring. It's easy for me to do nothing and get away with it and I have no motivation.

2) I have the job I wanted when I was a kid. I was stupid back then....

3) I don't know what I want to do yet. I'm hoping some travel next year will give me space that might shed some clarity on what I want to do....

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
hate to tread in C@ntus' shoes also, but you're going to have to be able to spell and write better than that to be able to teach at a university.

ya wot?

Dirty Marmite SpiderClimbing up my leg
141 posts

Posted:
Hello,

I love my job and I wouldn't change it for the world. It's only temp so I have to leave soon but i'm going to try to get back into it asap. It's the best thing I could ever ask to do.

Maybe your dreams shouldn't be centered around a 'dream job'. My real dreams are centered around having kids, travelling, being a good guitar player and spending time with my friends and family. The dream I hope I never lose is to find peace and happiness.

And if your dreams do change from when you were a kid - does that mean you've abandoned them or failed?? - or does it just mean that life has taught you they weren't what you ever really needed?

(I do still have secret dreams of running off with the circus.)

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
flid: I said teach, not be a student at...

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
ah, sorry. 3 years of being taught by incompetant/illiterate lecturers appears to have has rubbed off on me

Fitriamember
97 posts

Posted:
I severely HATE my job...but it is the only thing I am trained for and it pays the bills

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Hmm.....

Can you combine balls and ribbons and string and sewing and fluffy bits and MacDonalds toys and make poi to sell at Markets and give as presents.
Then you get to practice poi and maybe make a little money as a sideline.

Hmm christmas present poi.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by dark(ART):
Funny thing is... I remember "informing" my 9th grade Algebra teacher that she was wasting my time, that I was going to be a professional skateboarder, and that I didn't care what grade she gave me.
Relax. You'll figure it out.

the first comment is so funny i almost fell off my chair!

and the next paragraph is so true that i wint bother saying any more!

Classic HOP understandings...

hugs love and light
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!