Forums > Social Chat > Quality vs Quanity in relation to Life

Login/Join to Participate

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Terri Schiavo Case

Even when approached on a case by case basis, this is can be a very difficult issue to approach. It brings up questions numorous questions. Is life preferable over death? Is there a point of no return for some patients? How can we tell if a person has reached that point? The questions go on and on. The link I gave is from cnn.com.

Mr Handsmember
64 posts

Posted:
Hey, its your life, who am I to tell you what to do with it...

I have the same argument with teachers...

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Thats definitly one argument. I'd just like to say right off the bat that any and all views are acceptable in this disscussion, say what you think, its your right.

I myself believe that this is an issue that a person can't fully understand until their in such a situation. It's easy for people with no emotional attachment or person experience to say "Keep her alive, its the right thing to do!", that decision becomes alot more difficult when it's brought into your world/reality.

AalatheaGOLD Member
80 posts

Posted:
I think if doctors believe that she may recover, then its okto keep her alive. But if its just a family that can't let go (not that they should want to), then it just causes more suffering all around in the long term. Its hard to give something like this up after its gone on for over ten years, to have just time be the determining factor in letting her die. But i think the organ failure is important. and i think the federal government should never ever get involved in stuff like this. The president should not be able to mandate in any way when it is ok for people to die. If you want to die then you should be allowed to do so(providing that you've thought it through. i don't mean to say all forms of suicide are ok).
I think this should be resolved between the family members based on exactly the circumstances, and it should stay at that level.