nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I spun by a pond near my appartment last night and got eaten alive my bugs. I figured i'd use bug repellent next time. My question: if I hit myself with the wicks on fire (like i often do), is there any risk of a bad interaction between the fire and the chemicals in the bug repellent?Also, i got a minor burn on my arm. I put ice shortly after. What can i use now?Nomad

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i think you should test it out, and make sure to get some video of it...hee hee.."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I can't imagine there would be any problems with fire and bug repellent, but you'd probably want to contact the manufacturer to make sure.As to first aid, well, poi burns are just like any other type. ;-) There are about a bazillion options at the local pharmacy.We've been battling the bugs at our last few outings here in b-more. At the last one we thought about dipping our wicks in citronella lamp oil. Anyone tried this yet? If so, does it work? (Yeah, we'll be trying it at our next outing regardless... so long as we remember to bring it with us.)-p.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Not only will citronella lamp oil keep bugs away, it'll make such a stink it'll drive off all but the most determined friends.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
bug repelant is very very flamable. i think it would light if you had it on and you hit your self with the poi. maybe i'm wrong but i have played with repelant and a lighter. i would go with citronella candles around you and some of the big incence repelant sticks, they are alot longer than normal incense and work pretty good. good luck------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Bug repelant isn't flamable by nature but the stuff they put it in is. Check the ingredients. We always used that "Skin so soft" stuff at camp. Plus you get to smell all girly and stuff.If not, citronella lamp oil sounds good.

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Nomad, I have spun with bug repellent on, in NH as a matter of fact, both nights...and I didn't burst into flames. I also do the night burns here in the good ole country with the multitudes of mosquitos and use bug spray, and haven't caught on fire here either. I have used both the lotion kinds and the sprays...Deep Woods Off, Off, Skintastic and Skin So Soft varieties, and haven't had any problems other than them not working against the bugs! Herm, I coulda swore you had bug spray on when we spun in NH. Anyway, just make certain it is dry before you spin and you shouldn't have any problems.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
After the spins I did tonight I think I'm gonna get a mesh cage to spin in! There were so many bugs attacking me that a bat actully flew in, in the very short time I attempted to spin I must of had at least 25 flying around me in less then a minute!

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Yep, I've spun with Citronella lamp oil and reckon it's great for keeping mozzies and other bugs away.ade

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Nomad, Seems like everyone is forgetting your second question about burns...I hate burns! Even when i was a kid, I'd rather have a broken arm or a huge cut than a little wee burn. This might be why I'm staying away from poi and sticking to staff. The idea of poi wrapping around me or each other in a knot and burning me for a long period of time gives me the creeps.Netherless, for those few times, whether firedancing or in the kitchen or even carpet burns (wink), the best thing you can do is put aloe vera directly on it after flooding it with water. I had a burn on my back from an idiot firebreather ('nother story), mainly superficial but I rubbed my aloe gel on it and the places I missed were red and sore for a few days. Where the aloe had gone looked healthy and didn't hurt the next morning. Small surface burns where the skin colour has hardly changed will be better off with straight aloe vera. Anything large, with discolouration has probably absorbed a lot of heat and will continue burning itself and the flesh around unless you flood it with water for ages (ten minutes at least).I haven't had any nast burns from firedancing yet, lets all play safe, huh?------------------Charles Dolbel

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
After you light up and begin spinning, try to swat the little bastards out of the air with your POI. It could possibly be your best set you ever done. grin "S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Charles: the only substantial burn I ever got while playing with fire was twirling staff, not spinning poi. I don't count the time I was so stupid as to do full body wraps with 4-wick poi against bare skin. ;-)-p.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
PJ, I KNOW i'm stupid enough to do body wraps with all sorts of wick-ed poise (bad pun I know). And probably neck wraps and leg wraps and test***lar wraps and all that stuff.Maybe I'll try poi when I start growing up (26 yrs old at the moment).BTW, how did you burn yourself with a staff? It normally bounces off well before anything gets too hot...------------------Charles Dolbel

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
You know, I'm not really sure how I managed to burn myself with the staff. (Well, those of you who know me may have some guesses...) The point is that I too figured that the staff would be safer because it was not attached. I was wrong. Another friend managed somehow to burn his nipple. No permanent damage in either case, though, I've got worse scars from forgetting how to walk.-p.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
it must tkae alot of talent to burn yourself witha staff... i did it..i was spinning it behind my back and i missed a revolution and kept holding it with my right hand and the touch layed on my left should singing my poor hair!!... it was kinda funny though. no harm done..

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.