Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
help, i need good sources on history of poi, staff, meteor, breathing, ect... and stuff about the subculture currently surrounding them. i also need sites about pyromania and the effect of fire on the brain

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
im pretty sure this site has some information on history of poi.... *has a nose around*

yep

go to where it says 'home of poi' at the top left of this page and click on 'what is poi?' and there is lots of information there, and another link to more history information

happy searching.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Dirty Marmite SpiderClimbing up my leg
141 posts

Posted:
As poi is a Maori thing you could probably find loads of information if you search under that on the web. I know most libraries have information about it too.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
To what extent do people see the origins of poi as being Maori?

I know that it's were they started, and where the name comes from, but what they actually did with poi doesn't seem very similar to what people are doing with them now.

I'm not wanting to take anything away from the Maori origins; but it does seem that so much has been contributed, in terms of technical moves, as well as the developing poi culture and philosophy, since they went global, that what we see as spinning today is largely independant of them.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
quote:
effect of fire on the brain
i dont possess a brain.....

anyways, if you want im happy to up something for you about spinning and the 'subculture' as i see it in sydney. pm me if your interested.

also, you may find this link very useful

the london factor

posted by NYC, it goes into what he sees the important factors in technical ability in the london spinning community.

good luck.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Club swinging's also worth looking at. If you look around the web there's loads of history on it. I know it's not the same but modern poi resembles it more than my impression of what Maori poi was....this is an impression I've gotten from what other people have said, so no offense to anyone.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

HOP Newsletter