Forums > Social Chat > A world Poi convention ?

Login/Join to Participate

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hey hey hey ... further to the thread called "is there a place where the best of the best go"... I must say this idea of a world Spinning / fire dancing / staff / poi convention sounds just so very perfect to me ... smilejust the thought of it makes me smile and all excited !!!What do you say is feasible to organize such a thing ????shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Yes!! First thing that must be decided is location! Let's open the floor for nominations!We need not just suggestions for countries or states to hold the thing but actual _locations_. "Let's do it in Australia!" is NOT an example of a proper nomination; we need "Let's do it in Smith Park in Melbourne!", with reasons why this is a good place _is_ good.A few things that make a good nomination:1. A strong contingent of poi folk already based in the area that would be willing to coordinate it2. Near an airport that is internationally accessible3. Has people living in the area who would be willing to offer crash space, or cheap lodging nearby4. Non-cumbersome fire regulations; preferably on private landLet's have it!

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Sweet! I'm all for it! My uncle is going to get stationed in Australia in about 3 months. I don't know where he is going to be in relation to Melbourne, but I plan on visiting him in the future and would love to hang out with a bunch of poi'ers, even if it wasn't for a poi convention. smile

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I dunno if there's a stong group around where this place is but I do know it's close to pele and that's all that really matters :P it's a HUGE scale midevil fair in pennslyvania I guess it's going on for a couple weeks augest 3rd though the 19th and would be the perfect spot for us to all join up. https://www.pennsic.net[This
message has been edited by Knagi (edited 30 June 2001).]

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
This has been brought up several times before, but with limited interest. In fact, we are planning one for two years from now in NZ (most likely Christchurch wink) to end the poi/toy relay at. A large convention of spinners to participate in, show off and share. It is also why we are having people submit t-shirt designs, so that we can vote on the best ones, make them and sell them so that the proceeds can help defray the venue and insurance costs. Just thought you might like to know. FOr any other information, there is some information in the T-shirt section of the site, and as I said, in a few other threads (nope, I don't know which).------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

lunaphoriaBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
I'm all for Christchurch, New Zealand, being the general location, but then......I would think that, being a local boy. I'm happy to wait a couple of years for the end of Relay for a big World Gathering. It would require a lot of organising and time for people to make their plans and save their pennies for travelling down here....and personally I would be happy with a couple years for practice and improvement (being just a starter) to fully enjoy and benefit from such a wonderful large gathering. I can think of many beautiful locations in and near this city that would be suitable and would amaze some of you out-of-towners.In the mean time (and as an ongoing thing!) how about a few smaller regional gatherings. Bring a lot of you wonderful Fire People together before setting off to a big World Gathering.Peace and Love,Sam

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Oups ! sorry Pele, I still am not completely familiar with this whole relay thing. This meeting in 2 years sounds just great and I am very much looking forward to it. smileLooking forward to aby "regional" meeting in the meantime.Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"