vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Ok, the thread here has gotten sveral us onto the idea of creating a HoP related e-zine.

I wanted to start this thread as a place to discuss ideas about what should be in the e-zine, what it should look like, how closely linked it should be to HoP, try to plant the idea in people's heads about writing articles to contribute to the e-zine, and generally see what comes of discussing the idea. Please read the link above for some preliminary ideas, and send along any comments about what you would like to see to add to the spirit of HoP and to the fire performing and glow spinning world in general.

thanks.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
cool, well... to start, would it be a good idea to get a solid list of people who are serious about writting etc and what they want to do.

will it be purely spining articules, or are we going to have articules on other life subjects from a spinners point of view?

i'll get the ball rolling by saying i'll be fully up for writting any articules on spinning and life in general.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i think Glass should do a cheesey poi move of the month section, with photos n'all.

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
this is a great idea! i would volunteer to write for it for sure.

i am thinking it could incorporate several things that HoP has but as a highlight feature, not a "takeover" of content.

a poll

selected photo(s) ... hopefully with some fun/interesting/amusing text from the one in the pic(s).
feature some amazing handcrafting of toys?

sections based on different toys:
within each section ...
articles aimed at different levels of skill.
articles aimed at different disciplines (glow,fire,etc)
a how to guide for a move ... perhaps with basic, intermediate and advanced variations?

those are my initial thoughts anyway. it is what i would like to see!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Ok, what we have outlined so far is something like:

vanize - 'social' section editor. Social section to include writeups on the various fire and/or glow scenes in different cities, performer profiles, perhaps event reviews.

regyt - 'fire arts and literature' editor. She's going off on that one, so I'm no longer sure where that is aimed since that is her puppy now, but I think it would have photos and poetry and whatever else is relavant. it would be cool to see some mythology in there too.

adamrice - 'equipment' section editor.

Pink poi - 'health and safety' section editor.

Forau has already volunteered to do some writing on particualar topics.

Bender has offered his technical services to help bring it all together while he is recovering.

Malcolm has offered to host.

Others have mentioned being up for helping out. I don't see the set of sections above as by any means complete or exhaustive. they are just the ones people have already volunteered to edit.

There has been a lot of mention about making articles out of common/popular threads (bender seems very keen on this). This has been done to some extent already in the news section of HoP, but I feel we can expand upon this start and this may be a very good way for people to find info about things that are commonly asked. Forau had the idea of a 'threads not to miss' column. All this of course leds to the question of how closely linked to HoP the E-zine would be.

I in no way shape or form want to tread on what HoP is. I love what it is. But if you go to the news section and use a little imagination, you can see that there is a lot of room to make something dynamic and interesting there out of something that is currently under-utilized. A very close associatin might make the e-zine a direct substitute for the News section above. A loser association would have it as something that is common interest website for HoPpers.

Articles of any kind are welcome. we have yet to figure out exactly how to handle them, and to some extent, this will be up to the editor of the relevant section.

we aren't sure how broad of a base to cover with it yet either. I do now that I would like it to appeal to most people on HoP, and therefor will need to cover a wide variety of things and interest a broad age range.

so my main question is, what would you guys like to see?

And a name - no one has even suggested a reasonable thought for that yet.

-v-

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I know we have alot of talented artists on here, but I'll help out on graphics n layout, sounds like all the sections are well covered..Also, how bout a tech section for us tek geeks? Covering things like cool neon, video editing programs n tips, reviews of new equipment(digi cameras, strobe lights/handheld stuff/aerotechs, etc), basic pyrotechnic info, ummm..Music section would be cool too, if nothing more than a cd review or two, or even spotlight some of the members who make/mix music? This is a great idea, depending on the type of srv you have I could also contribute some working code to help manage the articles n content, I build content management systems on a regular basis.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i think wit the way people want hop to continue with the intention of people wishing to submit aricles and what not, hop could certainly be in need of some thing like phpnuke, a nice FREE, product from the opensource community, it is a fantastic development towards large content managment sites, as hop features some features malcolm has added on over the past few years some thing like php nuke could bring hop in to a new level.
I'm pretty sure the way phpnuke has been developed and by the people who have been developing it for some time now, it would be possible for phpnuke to co exist with the database that the hop message forums runs on.
i like the idea of this e-zine, and i think it would bring new things to the community for those that wish to contribute.
I'd just like to show my advise in a way that the whole thing could be bought to the general public, the whole thing is going to need to be put together, layout and design wise, malcolm has an awful lot to do with homeofpoi and the shop, we couldn't, and i dont think people would wish for malcolm to be snowed under with more workload.
its all well and good sorting editors and what not, thats the easy bit, who is putting the time in to develop the e-zine in webformat? so that it isnt left to malcolm just because its an idea for hop and the community and he has offered to host it.

my 2 cents, i think hop could benefit from a large content managment feature to the main site and incorporating the message board to it, i think the 2 would blend in together.
phpnuke comes boxed ready to install for free, and php is pretty easy to design with. I'm sure the site would become a whole lot more interactive as a community rather than just a message board.

nuke it

just an idea
keep up the ideas guys.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
damn musashii beat me to it! just as i was typing.

1,148 posts

Posted:
A content management system is definitely the way to go..But what I get from the comments so far was that the e-zine would be created by HOP members, and simply hosted by Malcolm, so that it wouldn't place any more burdens on him. I know for a fact that a few of the people contributing have web design experience. I don't think anyone has mentioned charging _anything_ for services either, just doing this for the community because of their love for it.

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

1,148 posts

Posted:
hehe

Ars Pyronomica

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I can write a few things about video stuff, latest videos out and hints and tips etc...

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
you know, the real constituency builder is in the "personals" ads. you could call it the "light my fire HOP love connection"
i nominate myself for "most pathetically desparate eligible bachelor of the month"

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
lol but I like the idea of doing a different profile and interview of a bunch of hop peeps with a picture of them and a few words and opinions from them.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
um, I'll put my hand up for doing a feature on various HoP members?

a "get to know your fellow HoPper better" column if you like, and we could announce peoples birthdays and any special events, and give up to dates ...

any good?

Currently on the right side up of the world.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Flynt, I was gonna beg you for poetry.. oh, I still am! ::begs::

I agree, a techie/video-editing/etc. section would rock.

As for arts and literature, mythology would be great, or stories or poetry. Definitely creative photos. Also any relevant drawings, paintings, tattoos, sculptures, or whatnot that people have done.

E pluribus unum, baby.

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Flynt:
um, I'll put my hand up for doing a feature on various HoP members?

a "get to know your fellow HoPper better" column if you like, and we could announce peoples birthdays and any special events, and give up to dates ...

any good?

*giggle*

the HOP centerfold ...

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Centerfold???

i do have a camera you know...

Regyt, will be happy to supply you with poetry or short stories about gnomes.

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
*lol*

i wasn't volunteering just offering up an extension of an idea! thought it would be cool to spoof the centerfold with fire artists. i mean we already have a thread on how sexy they are ... i can see it now:

half naked man with staff in photo , twirling. focus on the fire of course! and a sidebar stating his other interests, education, perhaps the measurements of his, ahem, staff and wicks. favorite foods, the name of his pet cat or something ...

anyway, i'll do it if you do it!

back to the real topic at hand ...

everyone's ideas sound great!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Oh my... centerfolds...?

[vanize sits with glossy, faraway look in eyes for several seconds, then shakes away the phantoms...]

Uhm, er, what were we talking about?

Oh yes;

Musahii - I had considered a music section before. the tech section would be interesting as well. I think it could fall under the equipment section though, as it may e difficult to fill that section up strictly with fire toys each edition. I for one would really like to an article on how to get the most out of my new digital camera for fire photos.

Trait of 1112 - Masashii is correct in that we are looking to make his as hassle free for malcolm as possible. I would oridinarily take this as the opportunity to actually learn how to do all this stuff myself, but my next few months are super hectic. Adamrice is experienced with content managemnt stuff, but I think he is pretty busy too, and He uses a different system than Malcolm does. We should probably stick as close as possible to what Malcolm uses in case he ever does feel the need to tweak something. Anyone know what he uses? Perhaps I should just ask him myself.

Arashi - I actually thought of the personals thing too. Not sure if I was joking with myself or not: "SWM (Smouldering, White-gas using Mega-geek) seeks non-flamable pixie for late night fun. Must be comfortable with chains and petroleum products. Normals need not apply."

Flynt & Jez - If you want to do articles, start working on 'em! If you are usure about the topic, PM me some ideas and I'll be happy to give you feedback about which I would most like to see.

In the end, I want this to be a HoP community effort, with most of the articles coming from you guys and the editors there mostly to organize things into final form and provide some consistancy of presentation.

What we really still need is a layout editor. Someone good with making a slick frontpage and doing the content management stuff. Bender mentioned some interests along these lines, but I'm not sure how much he wants to commit to it. I suppose I can do this if no one else wants to, but it will be pretty basic at first till I have time to get more sophisticated (which will be a few months down the road since my life will be in great upheaval soon as I switch which continent I base myself on once again).

-v-

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
HoP conosists of the following:

1: HTML based main site pages [for all the lessons and stuff like that.

2: UltimateBB bulletin board for the community.

3: Q Shop by Quaddcomm as the HoP store.

nothing would need to be changed, if the E-Zine is to be produced in HTML then its simple, malcolm would just link it on the index page.
HTML is simple to learn, you can even use WYSIWYG programs like dreamweaver or if you can code, you could make it in notepad!, so even people who do not know any thing about putting together a simple page in HTML could do it.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Dreamweaver currently has a trial version of their software which you can download and use for 30 days (www.macromedia.com) if you didn't want to code it in HTML.

ecofairymember
23 posts

Posted:
whow, Its sounds wonderfull :0
could there be freebies on the fron page? :)that really would be amazing:P
exx

The earth isn't dying its being murdered and the people killing it have names and addresses!

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
right, i wanna start taking fotofotofoto of everyone i can! i am photographic editor for my school magazine you know, and i could also do a kiddie section!

OOOH! and we could do a local group each issue! like the spitz cru, then next the sheffield pozee, then the bling cornish massif, like a group posed photo (lookin as dumb as possible!)plus a few individuals spinning and short bio on them all.

YAY THIS GONNA B FUN!!!!!

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I do ASP (VBScript and a little JScript) and HTML for a living and I have a full version of dreamweaver somewhere?

I'm not gonna be able to devote loads of time but if you want some help I'm more than happy to lend a hand.

PsyB.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I love DB(LL)'s suggestion for a "group" article, that would totally rock and also be good for groups who are trying to get exposure, theoretically.

What I'd love to do is a feature every so often called "Dio's Toy Box." Since I'm an engineer, I've found neat and innovative ways to modify, improve upon, or flat out invent fire toys. I've got a digital camera and Photoshop and would be more than happy to photograph and write articles about the toys we come up with. I'd also like to put a snappy "Toy" spin on it since I'm a toy addict... but that can be left for later. Would that be possible? I noticed there wasn't really much suggested on the equipment side of things yet so I'd be happy to fill that gap.

I'd also be happy to work with some of the others on the techie side of things, like Vanize had mentioned possibly doing articles on camera usage, or my personal favorite - video capture and editing.

The more I think about it, the more appropriate it would seem to give everyone an "official" job title so they know what they're doing. Teaming people up on things would also be a good idea if two+ people are interested in writing for the same topic. Likewise, some of us aren't 100% available to write an aritcle every issue as we have heaps of other obligations, so if there's a seciton that would be featured regularly having more than one person working for that particular section would be beneficial. That and it's good to have assigned work so you know what you're supposed to be doing.

For the first issue (and subsequent ones as well) I think it might be a good idea to decide ahead of time what you're gonna feature and set up a deadline for people to submit their stuff so that everything can come together well. Might even be a good idea to ask Malcolm to set up a forum for E-Zine staff to congregate and discuss/assign/share articles and features.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
One of the things that really got me started on doing this project was the concept of doing an article on a fire scene in different cities/area for each issue. I presently have enough pics, info, and contacts to do write-ups on the Pretoria, Capetown, Houston, Austin, and Tokyo fire scenes. My info on the San Francisco scene is too out of date, but that's a good excuse to go back! I will hopefully be able to do several in Europe starting in 2004 (I intend to come meet a lot of you folks there if I actually get the job I am trying to land in the Berlin area). You se, I love travelling and meeting new people, so I can use this as a perfect excuse!

It would certinaly be interesting to see articles on sub-groups within a scene - either troupes actually trying (or actually managing) to organize professionally, or just social subsets.

I really would like to see an article every section that focuses on a particular performer, be they from HoP or not.

Articles with lots of photos from events and gatherings would be ideal as well.

Similarly, if people want to send in updates on what is going on in their part of the world fire scene wise (even things as trivial as changes in regular meeting times and places), that would be excellent as well.

Note that Malcolm does have an events calendar in the news section of HoP that is horribly under-utilized. I'm not loking to replace that (I think people should try to use what is there more), but rather provide a place where, if people happen to be passing through a certain city, there is an easy way to see when and where to go to find a local gathering. This is probably an unrealistic dream, an won't be one of the first features in my section, but who knows, if you all each just send a little info, then it would be an easy thing to do.

these are some of the things I have in mind for the social section anyway.

-v-

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
I do believe Malcolm has thrown down the Gauntlet!!!

now to see who will pick it up?

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
*Starts walking around singing "Glove slap..."*

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Fitriamember
97 posts

Posted:
Maybe have people from all over the world...

I would gladly vounteer as a person from Perth to do a write up on the fire twirling community within Perth, Western Australia.

Maybe others would also like to talk about what is going on in their local areas...just so the rest of the world knows what is going on elsewhere.