Tarriemember
17 posts

Posted:
Okay, I've just been talking to gidg on the chat forum, and she didn't believe me when i told her how much trouble I'm having getting my cheerleading squad recognised by the university as a real sports society. Why do all british people seem to view cheerleading as a big joke? Am I wasting my time trying to get a real squad together? Or should I stick with it and prove them all wrong?

Tarrie. Lonely but never alone. Alive but dead inside. Violently happy.

funkymonkymember
192 posts

Posted:
whilst fully respecting the time and effort it takes to get all the pretty blondes to dance in the same line at the same time without splitting their faces with their fake smiles, its hardely a sport is it?

only joking about the pretty blondes bit, it is a lot of work, but i wouldn't say its worthy of a real sports sociaty title... why odnt you get them to poi... that'd change my mind.... maybe with a speical naked part of the performance where their clothes get caught in the chains and they have to take them off.......... i'm going to stop talking now....

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
i think you should go for it - you need a lot of energy and it's f*****g hard work. Show them who's boss!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
The reason people dont see it as a sport, is because it isnt an action filled sport.

It is a sport, just as much as gymnastics, though when was the last time you saw a bunch of drunk armchair gymnists in the middle of a riot because their team took first on the rings?

Dont get me wrong, I believe that it takes a hell of alot of skill and streanght to do that stuff.

I used to kinda rip on the only male cheerleader in my highschool. Then I thought about what he was doing and I thought he was pretty smart. Then I saw him get into a fight and he beat the livin hell out of some guys that pushed to far! hahaha If I remember right he got a scholarship to NMU for cheerleading.

Anyhoo... it is a sport, but it is hard to get it reconised because people dont see it as a competitive action packed riot of a time.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I think that proves your point

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i like cheerleeding..

then again...i am just an over-horny 18 year old..continually on freshers week.

Tarriemember
17 posts

Posted:
hmmm, you guys arent helping. A lot of british universities have cheerleading squads, and there is a british national cheerleading society that holds competitions just like in america. The other university in my city has a squad and they're the current national champions. I'm just really sick of people laughing at me. And for reference, I'm not blonde... I've got black hair and I'm into metal music. It's not all about being fake and slutty. gidg! Dav! Come and back me up here!

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
yeah, get in contact with other uni's squads- i dont think bristol uni has one, otherwise i would help out.
but at bris, it only takes 30 student members to form a society, no matter what is about. getting it recognised by the au is a different matter, but if there are inter-uni competitions i see it as being just as legitimate as the sport i play- kayak-polo or my flatmate plays- korfball (both of which hardly anyone plays or has heard of).

good luck with it.
Ben

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
have any of you people actually watch a cheerleading comp? well if you havent do it, its realy awesome, the thoughs, spins jumps, OMG!. yes the chicks are ussualy hot but thats not what you end up watching.

please dont give up. the best feeling is when you have worked really hard at something, and it finally pulls though. it will be all the better than thinking back wondering what might have happend if you just pushed the last mile.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

BigDavmember
175 posts

Posted:
Hey Tarrie

Well i know several cheerleaders in the UK and in the states and I can assure you that it IS a sport! the amount of hard work and effort tbhat cheerleaders put into their sport is unbelievable

Think of this - most people think that cheerleaders just dance around with pom poms and look good and thats all they are there for.... POI IS VERY LIKE Cheerleading in a way... We put loads of effort into learning new moves and then we gather and show off our new moves and im sure somewhere in the world there i Poi competitions etc

SO anyone that think that cheerleading is stupid etc - think about your own life and the choise of spinny toys you are using! In a way you are a cheer leader!

Be Good, and if you DONT be Good, Buy a Pram!

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by United Caravan Owner's Federation:
i like cheerleeding..

then again...i am just an over-horny 18 year old..continually on freshers week.

Deja vu...

E pluribus unum, baby.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Well I'm ignorant of cheerleading, so maybe my ignorance is typical of what you're up against. I view cheerleading as something stupid little girls do in American movies to the cool and sleep with the football team or something.

I don't regard it to be particularly exertive or be more than singing chants and with synch'ed pompomage...

I obviously have no idea what it is and perhaps that's your problem. Get some video's or photo's or something and make them understand that it is a sport and there's loads of other groups round the UK who are already recognised and that they are behind the times or something...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

theyellowbrickroadmember
12 posts

Posted:
Go for it! But as you allready know cheerleading is viewed as a half time get the footballers going thing!

How about you do cheerleading poi!

Also, not to put a thorn in anyones tow but,
when you are 'cheerleading' what do you wear? Cos if its short skirts that show certain other clothes when you kick you living up to the cliche!

EaT MorE BanAnAs, DrinK MoRe CIder, HaVe LESS sLEEp

2,905 posts

Posted:
Tarrie, it is a sport. I dont know how to get it reconised. Perhaps if you look in your Unis by-laws and see what it takes to get it reconised. If there is nothing there, start a pettition.

I honestly dont know what you should do.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
tarrie i aknow how much of a stress it is!

GO KICK blnde butt!

xxx

Step (el-nombrie)

ieuanBRONZE Member
holy man
110 posts

Posted:
Well I tried to cheerlead in HS, but to due to strick guidelines beyond my control guys were not allowed blah, blah, blah, mixed company blah blah blah, but anyway, I say go for it. Don't let the stupid people put you down. Fight the system!

Gather your harps from the willow trees, dust off the ancient strings. Call the bards and prophets, let them sing healing and freedom. Let light and love flow from the strings, colors of revelation.

2,905 posts

Posted:
They dont let too many females play football (American) and even then they are usually on special teams.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Cheerleading isn't a sport because there isn't a reproducable and established scoring system. Diving, gymnastics, ice skating and other 'artistic competitions' have universally established guidelines for judging.

All sports, from Football, basket ball, to gymnastics and ice dancing all have rulebooks and established guidelines that detail every inevitablity. If a gymnist takes an extra step after a vault, there is a set score that must be deducted, just as a set violation requires a set penalty in American football or any other 'sport'.

The same is not true for other 'competitions'.

----------

In other sillier news, it seems that every single cheerleading team I have ever seen are 'national champions'. In my old school in LA, our school beat two teams from Arizona and a team from Oregon and came home yelling that they were 'national champs'. Aparently there are many different 'national championships' throughout the US and if you win any one of those, you are one of many 'national champs'.

I think next summer Dom and I will be competing for the title of 'international cheerleading champion'... and the title will have as much meaning.

-----------

I have mixed feelings about cheerleading. I've seen cheerleaders who've used it as a place to make friends and develop dedication and devotion. And I've seen it used as a place to foster horribly inferior values in impressionable young women.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Tarriemember
17 posts

Posted:
this has gone crazy! First off, I wasn't asking if you think it's a sport, I've already realised that nobody is ever going to agree on that point. All I wanted to know was why british people don't get that it takes a lot of energy, dedication and work. We choreograph our own routines, and it isn't easy to teach twenty four girls to dance in perfect time, especially if it involves staggered sequences. I decided to do this because the coaches of the american football team, who i know quite well, asked me to. I also thought I could make something worth doing, and get back into the dancing and gymnastics I used to do a few years ago. I put this thread on to see if people thought I was crazy trying to teach cheerleading in england, and it's ended up with people just slagging the whole thing off! If it weren't for Dav, Mech, Jinx and others I may well have given up on the whole project, but to those guys who have shown me support, thankyou! So okay, sport or no sport, the point of this thread was whether or not cheerleading will ever work in britain like it works in america...

and as for the national championships, in Britain, national means 'of the nation'. We only have one official governing body for cheerleading and they hold the competitions, so there is only one national champion squad. And its the sabres.

shadow steppinofficial hop irken
401 posts

Posted:
you know what those brits need dont you.......

the perfect cheer!!

Non-Https Image Link

seriously though i think cheer is kewl and not just for the cute gurls

In my hands I hold your smile and in my heart it runs so wild You are the one you are unique I'm so in love you make me weak And the reason that I feel is like a shadow from a light so if you have the chance to be with me be my shadow in the night

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I ran into this same problem myself but with a different sport.

I totally believe that everyone should think that cheerleading is a sport. Maybe not in the extreme sport section, but it should be a sport none-the-less.

I was on my marching bands colorguard team. Now, that was really hard to convince people that it was a sport. I even had to take my girlfriend to a competition between 40 other guards just to convince her that it was a sport.

I do blieve that there is a regulated scoring system. In guard there is, which probably means that there is for Cheerleading. They compete, correct? If there's no scoring, there's no first place or second place.

Tarrie, do your best to get your uni to recognize it as a sport. I fully support you to do that, because it is one
*hands you candy*
Kinudin

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Tarrie;

Go for it! It doesn’t matter if it is a cheerleading team that does dance routines or a cheerleading team that does the jump, flips and tosses. If it is close to your heart, and the people on the team, it is worth doing. The main problem, even here in the states, is that the majority of people see the cheerleader as someone on the sidelines doing kicks and jumps when their team scores. If you are watching a sport on TV you see just little flashes and not the complicated routines that happen during half time shows. And let’s face it, even at a game most people leave during half time to get snacks or use the lu. They don’t see the hours of practice and physical conditioning that is needed to do this. Each type of cheerleading has it’s own rewards and challenges, from keeping 24 girls in step to a specific music or finding the muscle to toss and catch a person that weights anywhere between 80 to 110 pounds.

Your nation has a National Competition and a National Winner. That shows that there is enough interest in the sport (and I do call it a sport) to have guidelines and competitions. Connect up with those other universities and find out what they had to do to get recognized. It might be as easy as other universities showing support for your program that will help in getting that program off the ground. But it will probably be a long hard battle, but only you and your team can decide if it is a battle that you want to fight.

Like I said, Go For It! I’ll be cheering you from the sidelines.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sorry Tarrie, I didn't mean to be arguementative.

I do have a bone to pick with cheerleaders constantly trumpeting how they are 'national champions' because they beat 5 other teams.

I did however find that over 27 teams claim to be "British National Champions" in 27 different areas. Heck, I don't even know what age group or division or size squad or cheer event you're talking about.

And I found over 42 different schools claiming to be "2003 National Champions" in High School Cheerleading in America (in many different events.) I gave up then, realizing how silly my data collection was getting.

On a productive note:
Do realize that you don't have the college athletics format that we do here (NCAA) which is geared towards intercollegate sports. It's very easy for teams and clubs of any sport to compete since there are already tons of money being spent on that anyway. I went to what "Sports illustrated magazine" called the biggest sports college in America (which I disagreed with btw) and we competed with EVERYONE at EVERYTHING... and easily got permission from the University.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrie:
...much trouble I'm having getting my cheerleading squad recognised by the university as a real sports society. Why do all british people seem to view cheerleading as a big joke? Am I wasting my time trying to get a real squad together? Or should I stick with it and prove them all wrong?
Hi Tarrie, are you talking about Sheffield University i.e. not Hallam University?

In what way are they not recognising your society as a sports society?

We at the Teapots (Sheff uni juggling society) had a problem a couple of years ago when the university wanted to class us as an 'extreme sports' society for insurance reasons.

We disuaded them cos it would have meant putting the membership fee at £20+

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Tarriemember
17 posts

Posted:
dave, I'm at Hallam. Sheff Uni have a team.. the sabrecats. We're starting one called the Warriors to go with our American Football team. SHeff Uni have had their squad for years, which is why its frustrating that our uni are ****ing about with the paperwork.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I've always thought that the lack of appreciation for cheerleading in this country stems from a couple of things: Cheerleaders look good when the sun's shining in California but watching someone try and do backflips in a muddy soccer pitch in Bolton just doesn't have the same allure, plus pre-match entertainment is wasted on you if you're in a queue for the pies.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Tarrie,

I think the brits don't really see cheerleading that much, apart from the sterilised image from the movies, and we don't get to see the hard work and balls it takes to do some of the stuff. Would you gladly let your m8's throw you 20ft+ into the air, and rely on them to catch you?!

Go for it! as was mentioned above if you have at least x members then the uni will ratify you as a club, but I think you might find they will want to class you as an extreme sport (which will up your membership costs), especially if you intend on throwing your cheerleaders around. (looks damn impressive tho! )

I had trouble at uni getting an extreme sports society together, we had a group of skater and boarders and a few bmx peeps, but they weren't happy about the insurance implications of us chucking oursleves off 15ft ramps and stair sets... it was only a small uni so in the end it never happened (offically that is... ).

Don't let the system grind you down!

PsyB.

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
I think its great what you are doing Tarrie, I know the hard work you put in cos ive talked to you before your meets.
I wish i was fit enough to even try something like cheerleading, it sounds like lots of fun to me. AND! i know you are definately not the cliche'd cheerleader, ive seen piccies .

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909