Forums > Social Chat > Non-Fire Poi - Can It Be True???

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Why, why, why is everyone so damn obsessed with fire poi??Am I the only person who is sick to death of showy, smelly, messy, more-trouble-than-it's-worth fire?If I see one more person swinging a lump of smelly, black, paraffin spreading wick around the place I swear I will go nuts.I have seen a few Poi swingers around and every time its fire they are swinging....and on this site i find the same obsession with the stuff. Fuels and burns seem to be a major topic of conversation round here.Am I the only person who is not interested in fire?Is everyone else blind to the beauty of pure Poi swinging?There are so many advantages of straight Poi but most people seem only interested in them as a way to practice Poi techniques which they want to apply to fire - am i right?I am really not attracted to the fuss, bother and filth associated of carrying a bag full of sooty chains and a gallon of paraffin around with me.Plus - hasn't anyone noticed that the fire poi go out just when you are getting warmed up?It's too stoppy starty man ...just pick up those poi and let it flow.A set of of basic comet styled poi are all you need...you and your audience can easily make out the patterns and tricks, what more do you need.So please can some one reply and tell me what this facination with fire is all about?Dare I say it?....could it all be down to the fact that Poi swingers are hopeless show offs and care more about impressing their audience with fire than about just enjoying it themselves for it's own sake. I hope there is someone out there who can prove me wrong.

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
Simply put, fire is cool. Poi swinging in itself is entertaining, amusing, etc. but fire adds a sense of danger as well.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Cool?It's a bore!Anyone who doesn't get bored of it after the first couple of months should go to see a behavioural therapist.I really need a better defense of fire than that...If I said killing babies was "cool" would you run to your nearest maternity clinic?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
As for danger, it's about as dangerous as blowing you nose.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Fine....I would like to say first of all that I have noticed that every time it seems you come on this board you have something to complain about. If it doesn't appeal to you there are others out there.As for my personal fascination with fire, I am not a hopeless show off and I use non-fire poi probably every single night. For me it is several elements that brought fire into my life. I personally am fascinated by it. I enjoy the heat of it near my body and find it very sensual. The roar of it as it passes by me is very musical. The flames dancing is very entrancing. The feel of the flame from trailing is very smooth and silky. I find a comfort in fire. I was always the kid who would sit and stare for hours into camp fires and candles so this was a natural progression to me. Yes it can be stinky and sooty and carting things around can be a pain but in the end for me it is worth the hassle. In the audience eyes it does add an element of danger because they don't realise how "simple" it is for those of us who are practised, which is nice when presenting the spectacle....and as long as I enjoy it and the audience embraces it, I will be using fire.I think most of us realize how lovely the art of poi is all on it's own. I doubt that there is one person here who picked up a firey poi before anything else and started swinging. We are all here because we love the art of poi, of staff and we like to add other dimensions to it. Fire adds a new dimension and beauty on another level. I am sorry if you can't appreciate that.I also want to point out that there is ALOT in the message boards that has nothing to do with fire. There are new moves and glowsticks and such discussions all the time.Choose one of those and ignore the rest.In the end the ideas and options we share here are limitless and it is too bad that you are blinded by the fire that you don't realise this, but please realise that you are in a minority (of disliking fir eso much) and that we mean no disrespect to you or anyone. This is an open forum and we are using it to share and talk, with respect for each other and our chosen styles.Happy swinging along your own path.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bish_the_Dingmember
52 posts

Posted:
Sounds like quite an axe you're grinding there juggleloser; what happened ? Did someone dump you for a fire-dancer ...?

Hasst du etwas zeit fuer mich?... Dan singe ich ein lied fuer dich ... -Bjork/Nena

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
good morning,at the risk of being flamed, HAHAHAhang on. lets start that again.i think juggleloser has a point - the art of poi etc.i also think that pele defended fire very well.what i really need to say is: why should anyone have to defend their preference?no need to start fights. there's a whole world to spin in.i personally enjoy poi, staff etc both with and without fire.cheerioo-o"Waiting for the eyes brimstone jewellery surrounds your faceFire burns my soulWhite medievel women make an exhibition of flesh under black parasolsAnd all the leather, furs, flowers and lust this is where we belongKiss the past"- Christian Death, "Believers of the Unpure"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
By the way, Jugglerloser, I forgot to mention...if you look at the top of the board where the name of the site is in big black letters with the yellow and orange swirly thing around it...what does it say?Home of Poi AND FIRE TWIRLINGTherefore, no defense is needed for the fire discussions even though I did anyway, I thought I would point this out to you.Sorry to everyone else if I sound snotty, I know I flared up here and I apologise.Reguards,------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Purple Dragonmember
23 posts

Posted:
I just love the sound of fire it is amazining and blocks out everything else- I enjoy doing comet poi but fire poi is exciting and feels incredable.

Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
I agree that poi are beautiful in their own right, but I also agree that fire adds something amazing to that beauty too. I disagree that we all need therapy for our obessions with fire, and I find comments about killing babies sick and out of order....Happy Swinging (lit or not)Tim /|\[This message has been edited by Timmy (edited 15 January 2001).][This message has been edited by Timmy (edited 15 January 2001).]

ffirebellGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Hooray Pele! I love every word you had to say in your 1st reply! Agree fully! I practise without fire all the time, and when I do it with fire I am in my element, fully! Ahhh! three cheers for the eternal flames! Fairie firebell

Fairie's wear boots.

jessejamesmember
22 posts

Posted:
firefirefirefirefirei have always been facinated wit the stuff once as a kid when staring at a fire on the beach i just got up and walked right into it although i lost all my hair and recived some nasty burns on my feet i never could quiet replace that feeling again till i started to spinnow that it is a little bit of and obbcesion and i find my self practicing alot unlit it is only to enhance my time while burninmabye im just into the art of fire more than the art of poi but i just dont understandjessejames

burnin down the house

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
umm most of my friends are behavioural therapists and they love the fire poi - and I have swung normal poi for people, but they have asked for the fire. I think the fire adds an intensity to the poi, the flow of the lines is more pronounced and quite mesmerising. I like the sound of it - which Ive found changes with different fuels,and I like the way it changes my focus when I dance - like it goes up dramatically.Fire has been an integral aspect of human lifestyles and celebration for thousands of years, why not celebrate that smileAlso I guess you have your point - but why not persuade us rather than trying to trash our points? you manner feels rather antagonistic, which only seems to incite defensive and aggressive responses ...mellow dude mellow ..cyasps I use make your own poi - and by the time they burn out after an intense dance my arms and upper body is shakey from the exertion - Im fine with my burn time - thanks for your concern smile

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
umm go mess up a behind the back butterfly with firepoi and then come tell me how non-dangerous it is !!!!I wouldnt say its lifethreatening .. although I guess the possibility is there .. but the chance of getting hurt is definately one you dont want to ignore ...

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
wow! I turn my back for 5 mins and find i'm suddely the bad guy"!! Sorry if you lot thought i had a chip on my shoulder but i supose it's just my writing style... most people think i'm nuts til they get to know me and realise i'm usually just taking the piss - thats the price of deadpan humour i guess. Well maybe i am prejudiced against fire( that i admit), but probably because i find it so limiting... could i be a frustrated idealist? OK forget all my earlier criticisms and just try and help me out with this one: Is 5 mins of burn time with fire poi really enough? I'm not getting at anyone with that, i would just like a show of hands.P.S. A quick note on danger and fire poi: Perhaps we should soak ourselves in petrol before each performance to introduce an element of real danger (if anyone is offended by that last comment then don't bother complaining about it because i am not interested).

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Also: i really think that this is a bloody good site, so thanks to whoever put it together...i hope you don't think that i am abusing it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Jugglerloser,To answer the question on the five minute burn...I don't use fire poi to freestyle usually so I haven't these worries. What I do have are leather pouches that I keep over the ends of my fire poi for when I just want to go for the gold. I have practice poi for when I decide to knock my block off attempting a new trick and my fire poi...well....I have a set show procedure for them because of performing at Ren faires and exhibit shows. Usually the music I am choreographed to ends long before the burn....which I have lasting up to 7 minutes.That and if I feel the need to go again to another song...I have "clip on to replace"wicks so I can simply click on a newly soaked set and go on my merry way.In the end, yes it is worth it.It's like a snack or a quickie....not meant for longevity but for impact and fun.That's what it is for me....and every time I light one up it changes me just a little bit more.......Reguards,Pele------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
i guess i might add something.i still love doing fire poi but am sort of giving it a rest just now. i started juggling fire clubs to give something more to the fire performance but now am really focussed on just juggling. fire is what started me and i do love doing fire juggling but i am in love with just juggling just now. unicycling is still annoying me but we shall see.can everyone remember when they first saw fire poi and the amazement at the beauty of it. i hope so, i would do poi just to let other people see it if i didnt do it for myself.thats my ten pence------------------ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Pele,You said exactly what I wanted to only soooo much better than I could have. Thanks. smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks Finn. It's always nice to know that what I say isn't from some deep seeded insanity, and that others understand where I am coming from. Then again it might just mean that we are both insane wink.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele