KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hi,

Looking to buy some face paints.

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the following Snazaroo

I have quite sensitive skin though so I was wondering if anyone had used these paints and had any problems with them.

Also I have heard Ben Nye products are good. I found one supplier online but if anyone knows of any UK stockists, would appreciate info.

Thanks

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
hey hunny - if it's uv face paints your after.. I've always mixed up my own if you get that water based uv stuff in tubes and mix it with an acrlic medium from the art shop.. stops it all sweating off in da nite clubs.. you can peal it off at the end of the night - I've never had any one come back to me with face itchiness not even Li who had really bad excema back in the day when we were young and spritely

hope you find some

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Kat,

Ben Nye is stage quality professional make-up, which means it can be thick and greasy to keep from sweating off. I have *very* sensative skin as well and have only had minor breakouts from thier products.

Keep clear of the Kelly Company products as they are seriously grease based and are not such a high quality so it sucks.

Almay has a line of Hypo-allergenic products which helps, especially as a base.

If you fear a reaction to anything test on the inside of your elbow, not your wrists, as the skin there is even more sensative.

Also be wary of acrylic based products. They do not sweat off because they create a coating on your skin that does not allow it to breathe which can result in over heating, and in fact in Vegas a few years back a girl died from heat stroke from performing with such make-up on and her body that was not covered in the make-up was covered in laytex/pvc and leather.

Truthfully I think Ben Nye or a thick coating of over the counter hypoallergenic make-up would be your best bet.
Hope this helps sweetie!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Thanks a million for your help guys, very useful

Big hugs to two lovely ladies.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
good point Pele - I only ever do tribal line designs on foreheads and cheeks

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Thornmember
52 posts

Posted:
Admitedly, I don't do fluorescent makeup, but I do tend to be made up in some rather warm and sweaty situtations. I do a jester or skull face and, believe it or not, I've had good luck lately with cheap water based clown white base and black or red lipstick for shading, highlights, outlines and cracks in the bone. I use a LOT of corn starch to set it (thanks KISS!).

I used to use a grease based clown white, which smudged off on other stuff a little less when set, but the water based stuff doesn't itch at all. I guess it's a trade off.

Thorn

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
This may not be applicable, but here’s a tip from DJ Crusty. Don’t use a petroleum based face paint/makeup if you intend to do any fire breathing. Ouch.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Yikes! Nasty! Thanks for the tips

For anyone in the UK looking for face paints etc I've come across the following website which has a couple of stores in the UK and you can order online. It also stocks a range of Ben Nye and Kryolan products

Screenface

- W B Yeats

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
A good topic- i have been thinking about this a lot lately.
any particular reccomendations for a black body paint for people with fairly sensitive skin? (in uk)
ta

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
A while back I was chatting to a performer at a night I was helping to rig, her costume was just a black bikini and her entire body was covered with red, yellow and orange body paint.

When I asked her about it she was using spray on hair colour (N.B. NOT the permanent stuff!! the spray that kinda sits on your hair and you can never get an even colour with!). It lasted just as long as normal body paint, but was a hell of a lot easier to apply and make it look even. She was using it as a base for more details over the top using normal face and body paint.

I'm not sure how this would effect people with sensitive skin and it would be worth testing in a hidden location, but the effect was really striking, especially since she was using UV spray.

Just my 2'penenth tho

PsyB.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For black if you have sensitive skin, keep away from products that are based in charcoal. A standard black base though is fine. Sensative skin should stick with light grease base or water base. Again, Ben Nye is awesome, and it comes in these really great open topped tubs so that you don't have to dig it out and get it all over your hands.

The problem with corn starch is that it dulls the effect of make-up by leaving a white residue over it. Setting powder is translucent so that it doesn't have the dulling effect. Though if your make-up is primarily white, or your audience is as far away (like the Kiss Army) then it doesn't matter. Water based paints don't smudge off anyway. They dry as the water evaporates and gets all cracky and flakey looking. Setting powder actually adhere to it and help to hold the moisture in which also helps the make-up stick to the skin. Grease paints, as long as there is setting powder, do not smudge off.

Lipstick is grease/petroleum based and shouldn't be used on sensative skin. It causes tremendous break-outs.

And lastly, those hair sprays I sticky. I use them all the time (in my hair). I couldn't imagine putting them on my skin. There is actually spray cans of body paint though. It gives you an airbrushed look that is really cool. Not to be used on the face though.

And the only kinds of make-up that is petroleum based are lipsticks, lip glosses, and really cheap make-up crayons that come out for Halloween.
I have fire breathed and eaten fire wearing lipstick/glosses that are petroleum based. Your lips won't burst into flames but it does heat up quite well and get this melty icky feeling on the lips, and causes alot of dryness and pretty much the preliminaries to burns.

Okay....knew that theater make-up class in composition/reaction would come in handy, no matter how aweful it was to go through!!

Oh, and, before someone else mentions it... Laytex prosthetic (sp?) pieces, while they can be used without bursting into flames are not highly recommended. Neither are wax additions. Spirit gum to put on jewels, bindhi, etc is safe.

Just remember to not impede your vision, or put make-up around your eyes that is too destracting (the "what was that?" peripheral effect, while funny is probably not good when flinging flamey things! )
Though, for those who perform in the day...black eye make-up does help to reduce sun glare, as a side note.

Regards!
P~

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Hey Kat,

We stock snazaroo all the time so its readily available but its water based so not always suitable for all types of makeup although its good for sensitive skin...
Got books about it too...

and thanks for all your help! you are a star!

hugs love n light
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Thanks Drome,
Going to check out Screenface today as its right beside The Bead Shop in Soho so I can go and pick up a few trinkets while I'm at it and perhaps some tofu for me dinner.

Glad I was able to help you. Remember 'Mentalis' muscle located at chin! Blowed if I remember the others though!

Going to get my massage table today. *excited*

- W B Yeats