Page: ...
theyellowbrickroadmember
12 posts

Posted:
Does anyone else find that watching someone of the opposite sex twirling poi (very well) and dancing incredibly erotic?

Being male i can confirm that even my friends who don't spin usually have a open jaw when a female spins!

But, i've found that most of my female friends find watching a man twirl a staff more erotic! (so natually i have just started to learn staff)

Any thoughts (apart from that)

EaT MorE BanAnAs, DrinK MoRe CIder, HaVe LESS sLEEp

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
Just to go with the rest of the thread:
Amazon screenshot

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I don't understand

Bammy

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, according to my theory of "more bark = less bite", those who spin sexy sometimes aren't the best in bed... That would mean that London is one of the worst places in the world to go for quality nookie.

Maybe that's why I'm having so much fun in New York City!

Though I will say my theory is by no means 100% true. Obviously there are some quality spinners out there who can knock quality boots. Just maybe not in London.

{Then again, I've never bumped uglies in London... but there's always NEXT summer to prove me wrong. }

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Deviationmember
21 posts

Posted:
My gf cant spin poi at all but she does give me 1st class nookie, also - theres a girl who can spin better than i can speak, but i wouldn't touch her with a 10ft pole!

I dunno what this means in the skeem of things but i remember once a group of dancers used poi in a 'tap routine' they were on long chains and hit the floor. Any way my point was the girls there were FAF! if only i looked that good lol.

Whats sexier? Glo stick or Fire

Who tries to use knives-dies, Who tries to use fire-insinerates! >:)

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
Glow stick is for ponces You want insanely big monkey fist wicks...
erm.

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Right!

You better not be at spitz on tuesday, cos if you are im gonna whip that tubby ass of yours with my "poncy" glowsticks.

go back to learning btb weave boyo.

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
quote:
Whats sexier? Glo stick or Fire

was this a retorical question?

Fire, by like an order of magnitude.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
depends on the situation...
fire aint too sexy in the middle of a small dance floor... but glow looks sad on a big fire night

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
What about girls in white (that twirl fire ) I know it's not practical but i've seen one .

quote:
Yum
is all i can say

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Isn't tere some sort of unwritten law against that - like how they aren't supposed to wear white when... er, uh,... it's that time of the month?

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Deviation:
I dunno what this means in the skeem of things but i remember once a group of dancers used poi in a 'tap routine' they were on long chains and hit the floor.
I met a guy doing that right before the halloween parade last night! He used ropes with balls tied to the ends and christmas lights taped on the whole length of the rope, battery packs on watchbands at his wrists. He said it was some sort of traditional folk dance. I told him about HoP, so hopefully he'll show up and tell us more.

E pluribus unum, baby.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
quote:
more bark = less bite
Wanted: - One fit poi spinner, (preferrably female) to help me prove NYC knows nothing.....(*wanders off to bark at something*)

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Deviationmember
21 posts

Posted:
quote:
fire aint too sexy in the middle of a small dance floor... but glow looks sad on a big fire night
I totally agree... u.v still doesn't beat glow poi in a dance floor althogh fire is still probably my fave.

Who tries to use knives-dies, Who tries to use fire-insinerates! >:)

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
quote:
Glow stick is for ponces You want insanely big monkey fist wicks...
erm.
You're so right! Wait!! How did you read my mind... I've never told you about my lust for insaely big monkey fist wicks!

...and I have to say: damn, us fire-dancer-people are dead sexy!*

*) especially those of us with huge monkey fist wicks

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I think sex with poi is sick, you guys should be ashamed!

divimember
36 posts

Posted:
This is in reply to the earlier discussion prompted by fire dancing fairy.

I definately know what it's like to be objectified due to my fire. I don't like it; I get it enough already. It angers me that people cannot just observe my performances (not just fire) as an art, and appreciate it for what it is.
I guess it's comparable to musicians who after a set are constantly being hit on and being bought drinks. Some people like that attention, but I (along with most of my friends) do not. How are you supposed to know if you're being genuinely admired or simply being seen as a novelty?

Personally, I'm disheartened to see that Dancing Fire Fairy's words were not taken closer to heart. The immediate response of people seemed to be to defend the objectification. I don't want to criticize anyone (necessarily), but I feel like maybe the original message could be given a second look in order to acknowledge the experiences (good and bad) of fellow fire performers.

All the best to all of you beautiful performers out there. May you receive respect from all of your future audiences.

zwitterionSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
As a fire spinner you're putting your body on display, and in a manner which most people find quite sensual. If you didn't want people to be looking at you you wouldn't be performing, and it's just part of performance art that your audience is going react according to its level. If the people watching don't "get" what you're doing and simply appreciate the sensuality of it, that's fine, that's where they're at - maybe you feel like you're playing mozart to metal-heads but rather than rail against something over which you have no control, why not just acknowledge that fire twirling can be an arousing medium, be aware of the effect it might have on some audiences and if you feel uncomfortable with that effect, avoid them.

nigglebyleafmember
18 posts

Posted:
people prefer staff and poi to juggling and unicycles because it is dance and because dance does have a sexual element to it not all the time not sometimes either

2,737 posts

Posted:
I guess you'll always get people that don't enjoy attention from the opposite (or same ) sex for one reason or another....there's no way I'll ever understand it but hey maybe just coz I'm a guy

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
The bottom line is that watching someone do an activity that he or she loves to do is a truly beautiful thing.

Raph

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Unless they love taking drugs, that can be pretty horrible to observe

NYC - I see your point, and upon reviewing what I said, I came to the conclusion; it's true for some people (luckily enough I know them)

Mary

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

zwitterionSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
do you think being uncomfortable with someone's (sexual) appreciation of you denotes a certain discomfort with yourself? it's usually when you don't feel so good about yourself that you aren't great at taking complements. or is the discomfort something else?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
if someone finds me attractive when spinning. great! if someone finds me attractive when not spinning. great!

it doesnt bother me. im confident enough to know how to deal with compliments.

quote:
people prefer staff and poi to juggling and unicycles because it is dance and because dance does have a sexual element to it not all the time not sometimes either
are you implying unicycling isnt sexy. *sniff*

quote:
I guess you'll always get people that don't enjoy attention from the opposite (or same ) sex for one reason or another....there's no way I'll ever understand it but hey maybe just coz I'm a guy

trust me, i know plenty of girls who love to perve on a hot fire spinner with his shirt off. its not just a guy thing!

ultimately, by the act of fire spinning you are putting yourself on public display. you may not enjoy the attention, but by doing an activity so different, hypnotic, and dangerous looking, you are going to attract attention. if you cant handle that, stay at home and watch TV.

[ 06. November 2003, 14:59: Message edited by: Dentrassi ]

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
I have to agree with Zwit somewhat here.

When someone performs there are varied reactions in the audience: "wow, that looks hard", "she is pretty", "the fire is beautiful", "her dancing is superb", "she is hot!", "i could do that.". Every audience member creates their individual reaction to the performance based on who they are and what is important to them in the split second they happen to be forming their opinion of you.

Not everyone who thinks "she is hot!" is a chauvenist pig. And just because someone appreciated your dance or skill doesn't mean they wouldn't be the one to knock you around the room if you were in a relationship with them.

You CANNOT stop people from judging you as a sexual being at ANYTIME, let alone when you are wearing tight clothes and weilding such an elemental force. We are sexual creatures and that is NOT a portion of humanity that needs to be suppressed any more.

People should be judged by their actions. If they want to bed you on dancing ability alone and don't want to bother finding out more about you first ... then you call them a star****er and recognise them for the shallow idiot they are. If they admit to themselves they find you sexually attractive and then treat you with the respect you deserve ... where is the foul?

ariesfiremember
1 post

Posted:
i just did a fire dance in front of a crowd and my shirt came undone in the back and fell off litterally wow it was great i just kept goin i felt so liberated ... teheheheee guess who i am anyway?

Wizz-er-pops
206 posts

Posted:
I think I look damn sexy with my poi! Check out my piccy in the gallery under the name Wizz.

Poi... it's an obsession.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
ok so while i admit im one of the 5000 odd members we hav in here and most of what im about to say ahs already eeen said, but at the end of the day if you can watch the houseparty vod by smallboy (from his web page under the vids section) and not be amazedby both the guys and gals in the vid, then i dint know what i can do to make you see the point that poi is sexy!

ok plus dentrassi uncycling is sexy,so is stilt walking, combine it with poi,and baby, ill haveur kids! (ps do you rekon i could put kelar around my spokes of my unicycle and make it into a fire uni?)

plus i can prove that poi makes you sexy! i pulled last sat night, after a fire show, and a couple of good spins! so me being me, thats makes poi sexy!

Step (el-nombrie)

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I thought it was all about been conferident with fire . (And young lady areisfire i know who you are to )

I feel more sexy when im conferident (therefor it would come out in my twirling or anything stilts firewhip doubles and single staff or just poi . Or even little old me. (God i hate knowing i've spelt wrong .)

Here me feeling sexy now

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

2,737 posts

Posted:
quote:
ok so while i admit im one of the 5000 odd members we hav in here
Hehehehe - Yup Member 4867 apparently, but I think we're up to 6000+

Hmmmmm, not taking any offence that my party vid was the only one I wasn't spinning in and therefore gets rated the "sexy one" - , but I did get Dom in it so that more than makes up for it - (Oh and gratuitous shots of me topless, most of the London poi godesseses, Alienfox with his boobs out and lots of Dark Fairy Queen shaking her ass - )

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
to me fire is a erotic thing when used in a dancing form

untill i met dom (the tall stuning blond) i didnt think men were capable of makeing fir dancing sexual (sorry mate just stating the truth)

some of the most beutiful twirlers are women who put love into there spining they use there whole body they dont just spin there staff or poi but they move there body. they understand the sentual nature of life and they move with it

it shows a total comfort with what they are doing

moon pixie, bec, rainbow michelle, peita, valura, rozie, abe, flash fire, frenzie you are soem of the most peutiful twirlers i have every seen twirl and you have my up most respect

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

Page: ...