Page: ...
theyellowbrickroadmember
12 posts

Posted:
Does anyone else find that watching someone of the opposite sex twirling poi (very well) and dancing incredibly erotic?

Being male i can confirm that even my friends who don't spin usually have a open jaw when a female spins!

But, i've found that most of my female friends find watching a man twirl a staff more erotic! (so natually i have just started to learn staff)

Any thoughts (apart from that)

EaT MorE BanAnAs, DrinK MoRe CIder, HaVe LESS sLEEp

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
Yay! I knew I had to say something that NYC would agree with eventually. wink

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
He's name is tobasco a firetwirler from pyrosuitra (seattle ) he's actuall trade is blacksmithing . I've been trying to contact him for fire swords

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Ooooooh. biggrin I've always wanted to learn blacksmithing.

E pluribus unum, baby.

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
i have to add my opinion on this topic....the very first time i saw poi was a friend of mine who i had never thought of in that way...then i did and nothing ever happened on it... BUT it has definately been planted in me, i saw a few girls twirling last tues. night and i couldn't believe how good they looked, as good if not better than my friend...and i'm trying to slowly coax another friend into fire cos she's attractive now and i cant imagine what she'll look like with a fire halo wink but seriously it always looks good, and it always make people look TONNES more attractive cos we are all crazy...

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
yes fire is sexual i do firestaff and i would love to have sex right afterward even when i perform i get a a verry fun fealing like i would love to throw down the staff mid persormance and rip off a womans cloths

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
of course, you do mean with her permission, right?

fire makes everything more gorgeous

peace

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I can honestly say that 99% of spinning that I've seen I havent thought of as being sexy.

Beautiful, Skilled, Smooth, Entertaining, Entrancing, but rarely sexy.

I rememeber tho when I first got into it I thought it was sexier, but to a major extent that's past. Simply because almost all people twirl moves they havent nailed well enough to groove.

smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
*ahem*

I havent seen that much live spinning done by the opposite sex. The only girl i know who twirls is my mum, so u can see the probs there.

They guy who taught me everthing i know, my mums boyfriend, looks amazing when he twirls.

Got a few vids of the ladies. Cept the quality aint so good. but sum of them pull of sum preeeeeeeetyy moves :bambi eyes graemlin:

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
The only person I know who spins like properly is hannah, and as pretty as she is, i dont go that way ubbangel

I remember the first time i saw poi. It was a show in alexandra park, near christmas time. Hannah was telling me all about it in the car on the way telling em how brillint this thing calle dpoi was. We got right to the front, and then it started...fire poi and sparkly poi and oh, everything about was just wonderful. I stood there is amazment, a big grin on my face, my eyes glazed over with excitment. was is sexy? hell yes! Not as in the people doing it, but the art of it.
EDITED_BY: x_aimee_x (1087758613)

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I think that some of the attraction may very well be simply either a) the actual act of spinning, an act that takes a lot of coordination and skill, or b) the fact that someone is spinning fire around their body.

in reference to a), a lot of the attraction i have seen shown, such as to footballers, stuff like that, is from the skill and determination side of things. Say there was a really hot footballer, who was really pretty crap at it, and a pretty average footballer, who was awesome, chances are, a lot of the attraction would go to the really awesome player. I reckon this might be due to the fact that most people, subconsciously, want the best for their offspring. Having a child with someone that has proven their dexterity, determination etc is much more desireable, from a genetic, darwinian, survival of the fittest point of view, methinks.

The same thing works, albeit in a slightly way, with point b). The act of playing with fire is immensly dangerous. we all know that, the public all knows that. to be able to take that element, and make art with it, play with it, and appear not to be scared by it, generally takes a heck of a lot of courage, which is another genetic plus.

Basically, i think that it may not be so much an act of consciously thinking 'man, s/he looks sooo sexy doing that' but more of a subconscious 'that person has many desireable traits that they are exhibiting. if i were to produce offspring with that person, there is a high chance that my offspring will have something approaching that level of ability/courage/whatever, and thus will be able to succeed better in life.' and thus, the subconscious mind influences the conscious mind into attraction.

Of course, i could be completely wrong here, but thats what i reckon goes on.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
nice post MiG, the unconsious thoughts are often the most powerful>>>>>>peace

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
oh ya spinners are hot [censored]

i thinks that why i am one and date one cuz its hott

and oh so sexxy

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Say there was a really hot footballer, who was really pretty crap at it, and a pretty average footballer, who was awesome, chances are, a lot of the attraction would go to the really awesome player.

i agree with that heaps. the best example for me is rowers...a really good rower is the image of perfection - and makes me go completely weak at the knees regardless of how the individual may look off the water.

so *thinks back to last time she was with others twirling* its probably the same with twirling (howeever i can never get to gatherings!!! grrrrr!!!!)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

fraggleSILVER Member
94 posts

Posted:
lol

dance your cares away
worries for another day
so let the music play
down in fragle rock

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
yes it is verry atractive watching somone spin.
the way the fire lights up there body one piece at a time.
the way the light makes there face glow and there eyes sparkel

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
God, i love the way it lights up the body too, and how different moves light up different parts and sometimes your get a glimps of their expression and they just look so focused and happy, please people, always have a little light besides the poi when you spin, its just so much more interesting when you can see the movement of the body>>>>>>peace

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Fire twirling, or even glowstick twirling can be amazingly sexy. Depending on how the performer "dances" with the poi, it can be downright erotic, though purely allegorically.

Art's primary motive, in my opinion, is to reach and effect another's emotional state of mind through means other than traditional communication. Sexuality is a big part of the human emotional make-up, and is a perfectly acceptable expression and interpretation of poi if you ask me.

It IS a way of dancing, is it not? Dancing in any way has the potential to attract positive sexual attraction, as it puts your body and physical capabilities on display. That doesn't disrespect the art, or change the "ego" of it.

I feel the word ego has been grossly misused in this thread. Art doesn't have an ego, but humans do. Ego is not by definition bad, it's the balance of your ego and emotions that determines whether or not you have too much "ego." Poi is an artistic outlet. You may express a different personality from your norm with it, or use it to bare your soul and true "ego" to your audience. I'm really not sure what you all are on about with this whole ego thing.

There is no black and white question about ego involved here. It's simply an element of the human personality that may come through your spinning in many different ways. There is no yes or no, positive or negative when it comes to the ego's involvement in an artistic outlet such as poi. IMO, anyways.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ditto

yah, i don't get the whole ego thing eother. having and ego is not bad - you have to admit it's really annoying and quite sad when you meet people who genuinely don't like themsleves. they al need a good slap!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I've only ever seen two firetwirlers, one was my ex.

I remember my ex attempting to seduce me when he was twirling staff. It was before I even saw or touched a staff. I was sitting on the ground in awe and he came up really close and circled around me and whatnot, just looking into my eyes. But that's all a bad memory because he was an arsehole.I wish I could see more males twirling then I could answer the whole question of this thread.

It's like when you see someone doing a really great thing and you see them in like a new light. Like the local production I saw this week, I knew quite a few people in the show, but I'd never seen them sing or perform like they did...and seeing them now just makes me respect them and admire them.

I can't say I've ever had the experience with seeing someone of the opposite sex (other then the ex) firetwirl....I live in a small town and I don't know any other firetwirlers.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
you need to get out more :P

or go to an adelaide spinning night. i think there is pretty much all guys there. a few notable exceptions of course...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
I have never really thought of the act of spinning as sexy, though I tend to find other spinners more yummy than non-spinners. However if I am in lust with someone who spins/juggles, it is extra yummy to watch them because they are obviously doing what they love and expressing something of themselves.
*Eveish thinks of her yummy circus boy in his silly red hat juggling and promptly melts*

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Page: ...