Page:
Fitriamember
97 posts

Posted:
I am a tiny bit upset...my doctor has just told me that if I am going to try to help stop my stupid lungs giving me asthma attacks I may have to give up fire twirling.

Does anyone know of ways that I can help my asthma (which is quite chronic and my medication seems not to be working at the moment)...and still keep on twirling?

So far the doctors have made me give up netball, basketball, skating, horse riding and badminton because it was "affected my lung capacity"?

I am starting to think that everytime I find something I enjoy it is going to be taken away from me because of my crappy health!

PLEASE!!!! any help would be greatly appreciated.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Come and do practice poi with me with ribbons instead for a while...

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
well it seems that your other activities have been deemed bad because of the cardiovascular exertion involved.

how fast do you spin? are you panting and tired after a spin? if you slowed down the pace of your twirling, i think you place less strain on your lungs. if your not tired because spinning slowly and need that release, try using heaving equipment - you have to heave it more with your muscles - but you cant spin it as fast [kind of like comparing the speed of boxing to the slow power of bench press]
any other ideas?

there is the added question of whether the fumes damage your lungs

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

AutumnLyfemember
44 posts

Posted:
Fitria,
I really hate to hear that you might have to quit spinning poi because of your health. I do have to agree with Dentrassi, maybe you should slow it down a bit unless it is the fumes that are causing your asthma to get worse. I hope it works out for you, I have always thought poi was relaxing and form of meditation for me. Hang in there.
Autumn

There are no ordinary moments.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Maybe practise poi is the way to go for now... there is always the glow option...?

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
mayhap it is time to electroglo. a compromise is better than never twirling again.
please don't feel alone - my doc sez i can't even stand, much less twirl!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Fitriamember
97 posts

Posted:
It's not so much the physical exertion it is the fumes that are affecting me.

I am constantly having lung infections from inhaling the fumes that are emited from the kerosene. I have also tried turpentine and that was worse for my lung.

Of course the lung infections make me have constant asthma attacks.

I usually go down on Monday night to South Beach to twirl but if the doctor is telling me to give it up that means I will not be able to even go down and watch because of the stupid fumes.

I may not be all that healthy but I still want to be able to have fun.

Gnor - I might have to take you up on that offer....

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
lung transplant? better that than give up poi surely !

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I too suffer with asthma, although it sounds like yours is much worse than mine.

I have found that learning to control my breathing by, taking long, deep breaths instead of shorter, sharper breaths, and breathing through my nose instead of my mouth has greatly reduced the number of times i suffer an attack!

I don't know how effective this is in general, but it has helped me greatly, I also understand that taking excercise such as swimming can also help strengthen your lungs and reduce the risk of an attack!

Hope this is of some use to you, and good luck with it, I know through experience that it is a horrible thing to have to live with!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Have you tried using one of those carbon-filter bandanna face masks that bike couriers wear to keep the car fumes out of their lungs? They cost about A$25 from large bike shops.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Eera beat me to it - Get a mask, some look quite funky these days. Stand up wind of people spinning and just spin practice poi yourself. My understanding is that gentle exercise, which poi is, is good for asthma.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Chillax, there's plenty of fun to be had without fire. How often are you lighting up? I find most of the satisfatction comes from learning as opposed to the fire?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i agree with Eera. can you get a fume resistant mask? the only downside is everyone will think you have SARS or are Michael Jackson [id prefer the former].... but then again its small price to pay.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
you cpuld prob buy a filter mask from a hard ware shop in your local area?

if you really want to go metal, you could get ones with fans, and suction to make sure you dont breath in any smoke!

Step (el-nombrie)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
or why not wear scuba diving equipment for that matter?

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I agree with the advice above -

sometimes glo poi are better than fire - you can do it in places with fire restricion and you dont get black soot marks all over your clothes or singed hair

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I know for me fire is just one part of the art that I love

I hope all thses words from your friends have helped you darling.

Snuggles

Lisa

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Where's the boards doctor?? *Attention, paging Lightning, paging doctor Lightning*

Alright, I'm no medical professional, so ignore whatever I say. But you'd think if ones lung capacity was weak you'd want some kind of controled exercise to make it stronger. Wouldn't that seem logical? Like when people have bad backs they sometimes go to a physical trainer who helps them with exercise to make that muscle stronger. If somethings weak that how is leaving it alone making anything better?

again, ignore me, just curious on how this works.

In any case, sorry to hear about that, hope things get better!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ive got asthma and to be perfectly honest, the one thing that has helped me is weed.

thats right, medical marijuana, perscription pot, texas THC.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i may be worth hunting for better fuels, as there are much less toxic smelling than kero fuels out there. with respect to those that do use it, i avoid it as much as possible.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I've just taken delivery of some of the battery powered glow sticks available in the new bits section (plug plug) and they're incredibly light and easy to spin without much effort at all. They may help although obviously they're not as nice as fire.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Fitriamember
97 posts

Posted:
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I spoke to some of the guys I go twirling with last night and the option of a mask was brought up.

One of the guys even offered to wear one with me so that I wouldn't look too much like a freak.

I don't mind the giving up the fire as I will always keep practicing and I can use the glow sticks my biggest upset was that I will no longer be able to go down on Mondays and hang out with the other guys because the fumes when they light up will get to me.

I don't want to lose my friends and Monday night is the only time I get to see them.

I am going to also look into twirling with other fuels which may mean I can still do my twirling on occassion. At the moment I twirl once a week with fire.

I am going to miss meeting up with everyone on Monday that would be my biggest issue at the moment...

Thanks again to everyone for all the ideas...you will never know how much it is appreciated.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Concerning breathing control/exercises for asthma, have you considered learning didgeridu? I've heard that the circular breathing can be beneficial for asthmatics.

Would also be useful for a bit of auditory atmosphere at fire nights.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Fitriamember
97 posts

Posted:
Didgeridoo sounds like so much fun...I was thinking of taking up the flute, oboe or something like that (not only for the breathing mind you I like to learn new instruments as well).

I do have problems breathing through my nose because I have a cleft lip and partial palate (which one doctor said is why I have crappy lungs).

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
yeah i hear you on the 'why wont my stupid body just let me do what i want'
i am an ex ahstmatic, about 5 years ago i just said bugger it and stopped taking all my ahstma drugs which i was totally dependant on, i went through absolute hell, i would get out of breath walking down the road, but slowly it started getting better.
a lot of homeopathic remedies are said to be good, but i never tried them despite numerous recommendations.
do excersise, i now wear a bandana round my mouth when doing fire as the fumes made my lungs hurt the next day, that a flat cap and trousers are all i need(trousers optional but im sure other people benefit from me wearing them)
im just lucky, it does go away after a while.
hope your condition improves. smit
anything that doesnt kill you only makes you stronger

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Fitria,

I think the big important thing is to improve communication between you and your doctors. First, understand that asthma is a serious and life-threatening condition. It is important that you be properly medically managed. People have died because they discontinued their prescribed medications and tried so-called "homeopathic" remedies. Please don't do that.

Now, what can you do? Well, you need to voice your concerns to your doctors. You need to tell them that you feel like their restrictions are robbing you of all exercise and any enjoyment of life.

Now, as far as Jon UCOF's suggestion, it is true that THC is a bronchodilator and will make your asthma feel better. HOWEVER, in the long run, smoking is going to just make it much, much worse.

And try to stay upwind of the spinners?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
from a fellow asthmatic...

ya like Lightening and UCOF said, marijuana does open your lungs up, but long-term effect are not so good. i personally stay away from that shyt.

i agree with Lightening on the homeopathic remedies...sometimes they work but i went untreated for a long time and realized i needed professional medical help at some point. i hate using my inhaler cause it makes me all jittery and shaky (damn speed qualities), but i realize i need it at some points.

definately get a mask to control for the fumes. but moderate exercise is a good way to build up your lung strength. and there are plenty of daily medications and breathing treatments you can do to help you. and of course there are emergency inhalers (i.e. albuterol) to have on hand for an acute attack or if you feel an attack coming on. i don't recommend constant use so that you don't become dependent on it, but asthma just doesn't go away either so not using medications at all isn't a good idea. i have had friends do vicks vapor inhaler treatment (steaming hot water with about a tablespoon full of vicks vapor rub in it, put a towel over your head and put your face into the steam) to open up their lungs, and i did one once during an acute attack, but i don't know what the medical benefits/side effects are. perhaps Lightening or any other medical person can enlighten us? i know it helped for those people and it helped me a little, but i don't know if it's actually good for you or not. so i'd check it out first before taking my advice on that one

hope the info helps!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Fitria
What did you end up doing? Did the mask help?

Now is hell on asthmatics ....again....my partner had trouble breathing this morning

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Fitriamember
97 posts

Posted:
Hi gnor. I am still looking at the different types of fuels. I have been doing a bit of experimenting.

I am holding off buying a mask at the moment. Last Monday at South Beach I only did one fire twirl for only a couple of minutes...and took photos the rest of the night...hehe.

I have been offered a paying gig so I had better come up with something quick smart!

At least if it comes down to it a mask would suit the outfit I am going to be using for the performances.

Are you going to be coming down to South Beach tonight?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
No I am not. I did PM you and still cranky about it. All psyched up. Sorries.
Where is the gig and what are you wearing??? Sounds interesting...see you in the chat room..

Is it the Truth?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by pounce:
from a fellow asthmatic...
i hate using my inhaler cause it makes me all jittery and shaky (damn speed qualities), but i realize i need it at some points.

There's a new inhaler out called Avonex (Levo albuterol) that seems to have fewer side-effects. Ask your doctor about it.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: